User Tag List

Thread: Oregon mtb trip - destination advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oregon mtb trip - destination advice

Thinking about a mountain bike trip to Oregon this summer. Ashland, Oakridge, and Bend are on my list. Any recommendations for timing (e.g., June vs. July for weather), how many days to spend in each place, blue-level trails not to miss, etc.?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oregon mtb trip - destination advice

I have only ridden on the downhill trail in Ashland, and I don’t know much else about the riding there.

Bend and Oakridge I do know, and I’m sure others will know more than I do. I love Oakridge, but last time I camped there it was a bit rough, with a lot of people taking our favorite spots, even near the campground. I recommend staying at a place in town if you can swing it. So many options in regards to trails, but don’t miss Alpine. Most people shuttle that one. I first rode it as the main section of the infamous Cascade Creampuff 100 mile mtb race, so it has a special place in my heart. Other good trails abound, most with lots of climbing, though there are some chill river trails too.

You will get more info from others on specifics, but I am writing to say that earlier in the summer may be better because the risk of wildfires is quite high in the dry days of August.
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Harth! Looks like there are good shuttle rides in both Ashland and Oakridge, and decent, dog-friendly Airbnbs. I just learned about the Mackenzie River Trail, which looks fun for a more mellow day on the bike. We’re likely to go mid-June or early July before it gets too hot.

How are the mosquitos, ticks, poison oak, and other natural hazards in these places?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Ashland and I’m happy to help you have a good stay here.
    There is poison oak all over the lower elevation trails in Ashland. I have had rides with friends where they had bad outbreaks, but I have never had a rash in 25+ years riding and hiking our trails. It’s not a big problem in general.
    There are ticks too but again I’ve never had one from a ride.
    The shops have free trail maps. If you don’t use the shuttle, most rides involve more or less an hour climb up a fire road, then a nice flowy ride back down to town. You could have a couple good days riding here, more if you’re adventurous.
    There is much more of the low-medium difficulty trails at Phil’s network just west of Bend.
    Frame building since 2001
    http://restlesscustombikes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all seriousness, where it's not on fire.

The last few years for them have been BRUTAL.

Oakridge is on an island in the burn, better go see it while you can

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have spent several months in the vicinity of Yamhill for the past three years. There are two seasons in Oregon: rain and Summer. The roads have no shoulders. The gravel is like riding snowmobile trails. The AQI was in single digits except for the few times smoke wafted through. No bugs- you could sleep outdoors without a tent and not suffer any adverse consequence. The state is vast and diverse. But from here on out I will have a plan B, maybe even C and D when I travel anywhere with the intention of riding or hiking. Four years ago I hiked from North to South Lake through Evolution Valley in the Sierras and told myself I'd come back every year after. Then Covid, then fire and drought. Etc.

I hear Bend is pretty great. But so has everyone else. Last winter I went to ride in the snow in my neighborhood and found the parking lot overflowing, courtesy of social media. Kind of a buzz kill.

If a Salonista offers hospitality take it.
    Jay Dwight