Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diggin' holes in the ground

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Diggin' holes in the ground

Nothing soothes my soul like a job well done. Harder is better, dirty job are a reward. You could say I'm just not right and you would not be wrong ;)
    When covid hit, I decided it was time for some seriously back breaking labor. I ordered 20 yards of fill dirt and regraded our courtyard by hand, one wheel barrow at a time. At the same time I installed, under the dirt, about 200' of French Drain so solve a long standing water seepage issue into the garage/workshop.

Fast forward to the final task of re-sealing the South garage wall. Honestly, digging the foundation and sealing it is one dirty job that I was dragging my feet on. It's cold hard work and you will destroy clothing and fuh show need a mani-pedi after to make it all worthwhile ;) Not kidding, you really need to do this.

Anywho, lots of digging to discover what treasures Harry and Harriet homeowner left for me when they built the garage foundation. Yippee, there is no capillary break and it looks like they used silly putty to put the blocks together...and someone was cross-eyed not that there is anything wrong with that. HAHA the prior owner did install a drain...but it was NOT perforated and the bitter end stopped underground, how dumb was that????

The hard'ish part is done so now the wait for sealant to be delivered. Pressure washing the masonry and goo'ing it with sealant will feel like victory.

Once I've got two coats of sealant on the masonry I'll install French drain to clear space and install a new walk. We have an excellent stone and rock supply house nearby and HEY I own a two ton open trailer.

Last, stop buying contractor grade tape measures. Don't be cheap!!!!

IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 11-20-2023 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Diggin' holes in the ground

It thought you were making a Peter Gabriel reference.

I have an amazing collection of shovels, about half of which stay in our shed in Wyoming.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“When I was little I’d watch my parents dig holes, every weekend and holiday. When I got bigger, I had to dig, too. Even on Christmas.”
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that perhaps you were going to bring back the pig roast pit in your yard.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are those (what is left of) cinder blocks 4’ underground? Hmmm.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Are those (what is left of) cinder blocks 4’ underground? Hmmm.
    Yeah you get it. I'm not happy about the foundation. There is no settling and zero cracks so hmmmm it's prob. ok. It was worth the dig to see what it looked like. I'll backfill to the footer and install French drain.

Ooooo I'm so excited about slopping on the sealer :) not really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I thought that perhaps you were going to bring back the pig roast pit in your yard.
    Next year. I'm fairly sure this will happen again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As there's no basement, I wouldn't be too concerned; lateral pressure, etc....it's all about the soil bearing pressure in most cases. In terms of waterproofing, there is no below grade space, so you can waterproof the block, but moisture can still work its way under the slab without a moisture barrier. The TREMCO fluid applied products are good, although messy. When new, I like to use the sheet applied products like Bituthene.

https://www.tremcosealants.com/marke...fluid-applied/

https://gcpat.com/en/solutions/produ...-waterproofing
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 11-21-2023 at 09:32 AM.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As there's no basement, I wouldn't be too concerned; lateral pressure, etc....it's all about the soil bearing pressure in most cases. In terms of waterproofing, there is no below grade space, so you can waterproof the block, but moisture can still work its way under the slab without a moisture barrier. The TREMCO fluid applied products are good, although messy. When new, I like to use the sheet applied products like Bituthene.

https://www.tremcosealants.com/marke...fluid-applied/

https://gcpat.com/en/solutions/produ...-waterproofing
    Good advice, I'll worry less. Quality sealants are hard to come by in my zipcode however found BASF Masterseal which should do the trick.
    What do you recommend for the interior walls and floor? I'll do the dirty work of cleaning the interior walls and sealing them with something. I'd like to call in the professionals to refinish the floor and seal that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Good advice, I'll worry less. Quality sealants are hard to come by in my zipcode however found BASF Masterseal which should do the trick.
    What do you recommend for the interior walls and floor? I'll do the dirty work of cleaning the interior walls and sealing them with something. I'd like to call in the professionals to refinish the floor and seal that.
    Forum member Len J runs a business that seals basements and crawlspaces.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    What do you recommend for the interior walls and floor?
    Do you mean the interior of the garage walls and floor? If so, are the walls CMU (concrete block) or drywall and the floor finished concrete?
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And are you getting moisture on the interior walls and coming up through the concrete floor?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean the interior of the garage walls and floor? If so, are the walls CMU (concrete block) or drywall and the floor finished concrete?
    Walls are concrete block (bare with some old crap-ola). The floor is finished concrete also with some sort of old paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    And are you getting moisture on the interior walls and coming up through the concrete floor?
    All the moisture is coming from the footer. Idjit prior owner did a bad job. I've got it dug well below the footer, there was a full day of rain yesterday. The garage is bone dry. Ha ha all the water that usually piles against the footer is in a ditch below the footer sooooooo that is actually reassuring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reminds me - have I ever mentioned how much I dislike home ownership and it's various tribulations?

Apparently Josh enjoys this way, way more than I, but golly-gee, aren't there better things to do in life than having to deal with problems like this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    This reminds me - have I ever mentioned how much I dislike home ownership and it's various tribulations?

Apparently Josh enjoys this way, way more than I, but golly-gee, aren't there better things to do in life than having to deal with problems like this?
    Are you disliking home ownership, or OLD home ownership?

I’m pretty familiar with old home ownership. I hope to try new home ownership some year soon. No basement, no stairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a new house and daily problem solving is what I do. Even before you finish building it the earth is trying to claw it back. Perpetually. But there is kind of a surfing zen to it. Find the wave ride the wave wave at the wave as it leaves. I’ve studied the mice, put little tell-tale pieces of wood around to find where they get into the exterior walls, then set traps on the first below freezing nights in the fall and listen to them go slap! during the night. The deer probably have a name for me now. The bluebirds tolerate me. The squirrels and crows keep tabs on me all day long. My wife says did you pick up that pine limb today. I say I am thinking about it still. The property did fine without us before we got here. So I try not to rush into anything.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Are you disliking home ownership, or OLD home ownership?
    It's the only kind I've known as "the guy who's responsible for dealing with stuff," but I'm sure new ones have their share of issues too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1993 house here... I think it's one of the Last Good Ones. House has no major issues, but there are always improvements to consider.

When we moved in, the lawn irrigation hadn't been used in years. I replaced all the zone valves, rotor and spray heads, the controller, and a decent bit of the lines. One of the neighbors walked by, turned their nose up, and said: "You know you can pay people to do that, right??" I laughed, and said "all I have to do is dig a hole, the rest is easy."

I dig your ethos, Josh. I'm on the same page. It's cheap therapy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    1993 house here... I think it's one of the Last Good Ones. House has no major issues, but there are always improvements to consider.

When we moved in, the lawn irrigation hadn't been used in years. I replaced all the zone valves, rotor and spray heads, the controller, and a decent bit of the lines. One of the neighbors walked by, turned their nose up, and said: "You know you can pay people to do that, right??" I laughed, and said "all I have to do is dig a hole, the rest is easy."

I dig your ethos, Josh. I'm on the same page. It's cheap therapy.
    'Zactly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast