Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diggin' holes in the ground

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Diggin' holes in the ground

Like Jorn said, old or new, just a different set of issues that test your fortitude and offer a sense of accomplishment if you’re up to the challenge. The key is to know your limitations or perhaps, know when you’ve exceeded your limitations and call in the pros. Most issues though, can be dealt with by a schmuck like me with a little help from YouTube and Harry at Home Depot, so I say go for it.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also prefer fixing my own mistakes rather than the mistakes of someone I'm paying to do it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My projects last summer included a wooden fence, electrical hookup for the travel trailer, and piping into the septic tank. The wooden fence looks good from twenty or so feet away. Posts and cross pieces are wood, so nothing is perfectly straight. The electrical required an extra set of hands when it came time to tie it all in. I ran 4/0 cable from the 200a box at the pole to a 100a box with an RV outlet and a duplex GFCI outlet. The difficulty was in getting the 4/0 into the 200a panel through a piece of conduit. My BIL works at a construction and lumber sales place. He was the second set of hands. The piping to the septic had to have the right amount of fall so I used a long level to make sure I always had a downslope, but not too steep. At the end of the summer, when I disconnected the trailer after flushing all the tanks, the inside of the piping was clear.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Big Bill. In the Spring I have a similar elec. project to run new wire to the RV power pole at our PA campsite. I'll use schedule 40 for the run.

Anywho, daytime temps. are vexing me. Tomorrow and the next day are do or die for the first and second coat of thorseal. Homeless Despot was kind enough to sell French Drain pipe at the usual cutthroat price. I like the solid French Drain pipe vs the flexible stuff since that allows for a more Instagram-worthy documentation ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Nice Big Bill. In the Spring I have a similar elec. project to run new wire to the RV power pole at our PA campsite. I'll use schedule 40 for the run.
    I buried the 4/0 without conduit. It is about 3' underground. I used conduit where it came out of the ground at the pole and panel. The issue at the panel was 4/0 won't install into a 100A panel. I used splicer reducers and a separate box to reduce to 1/0 for 100A tie in. The 4/0 means I can still have 200A in the future. I sank a grounding rod at the RV panel and everything has a ground back to the 100A panel. Next summer, I'm adding another 30A RV outlet to power up the shop so we can make soap in Wyoming. I have leftover wire and boxes, and some good lessons learned.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    One of the neighbors walked by, turned their nose up, and said: "You know you can pay people to do that, right??"
    Of course all the good come-backs are in retrospect, but I might have replied with something like "How much do you charge per hour?"

That just might have put your snooty neighbor in his place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Of course all the good come-backs are in retrospect, but I might have replied with something like "How much do you charge per hour?"

I use the Huck Finn play ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's some digging inspiration.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post

Same neighbor walked by 6 years later, and asked who does our landscaping and yard. I said, "You probably can't afford it."

No joke - neighbor does the "rich people laugh" and says "please, who is it?"

Of course, I say, "me. Hourly rate is pretty high."

Conversations have been awkward since, but I think it was a compliment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Same neighbor walked by 6 years later, and asked who does our landscaping and yard. I said, "You probably can't afford it."

No joke - neighbor does the "rich people laugh" and says "please, who is it?"

Of course, I say, "me. Hourly rate is pretty high."

Conversations have been awkward since, but I think it was a compliment?
    Sweat equity is where it's at.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the "do you do a lot of work in the area?" question a couple of times a year when I'm out mulching the beds or blowing leaves. I always respond with a smile that 12 collective years of college tuition and the Democrats are forcing me to do my own yardwork.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12