User Tag List

Thread: Home gym equipment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Home gym equipment

Hi all, we’re looking into home gym equipment like a multifunction rack with integrated weights, bench, pulleys, etc. Something that will fit into limited space and accommodate a variety of strength training exercises. Any recommendations for brands to consider or avoid? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home gym equipment

While I can't recommend a specific brand/model, I will say keep your eyes peeled on Facebook Marketplace and craigslist. There ALWAYS are people unloading good equipment
    that's become a dust collector. For instance, in my area there is currently a Bowflex gym on craigslist for $350, and a Parabody CM3 for $150. Looks like new units from Marcy,
    for example, are starting at $750.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you really don't want to pay much because you aren't sure if you're going to turn it into a clothes rack, I'd suggest avoiding the low-end stuff.

A few years ago I got an inexpensive captain's chair to do leg lifts, and in retrospect I should have spent more. The frame squeaks like crazy when you're using it, flexes excessively, and it drives me nuts. These days I use a good one in a "real" gym, otherwise I would have replaced mine with a better one. I would think that for more complicated machines with cables and pulleys that could be an even bigger issue.

Bottom line: Unless you're getting true commercial gym quality equipment, it's a good idea to try it out first. Simplest way to do that is to buy used locally. (or splurge and get the $$$$ stuff delivered)

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    ... keep your eyes peeled on Facebook Marketplace and craigslist. There ALWAYS are people unloading good equipment...
    Yes, 100%
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Hi all, we’re looking into home gym equipment like a multifunction rack with integrated weights, bench, pulleys, etc. Something that will fit into limited space and accommodate a variety of strength training exercises. Any recommendations for brands to consider or avoid? Thanks!
    Check out Rogue brand. I've found everything to be flawless.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been happy with the Inspire M3 with the optional leg press apparatus. Had it for about 12 years, appears they've been updated slightly.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone! After my original post, I realized that better questions are probably, "What kind of strength training results do we want to get from our workouts?" and t "What's the optimal use of a small home gym space to achieve those results?" And of course, "How much old bike gear and household crap do I have to get rid of to make room for gym equipment?"

So I'm going to figure out the answers to those questions before I buy anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone! After my original post, I realized that better questions are probably, "What kind of strength training results do we want to get from our workouts?" and t "What's the optimal use of a small home gym space to achieve those results?" And of course, "How much old bike gear and household crap do I have to get rid of to make room for gym equipment?"

So I'm going to figure out the answers to those questions before I buy anything.
    I'll take a crack at it based on a roll of the dice. Consider one simple olympic bar bell and a few plates. With that you could do: dead lifts, squats, overhead press or combine things in something like the Bear Complex. That takes very little room and the investment is tiny'ish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've got a 25 and 30 pound kettlebell, a two handled sandbag that can be up to 80# depending on how many smaller internal bags I fill, Swiss ball, Bosu, and a pull-up rack bolted to the garage wall. I do 15-20 minutes after or before rides. I have always been one to quickly pack on muscle, but that's not what I want these days, so I do many reps with light weights. I have a home office where I do my grad school work (yes, I'm back in grad school for another MA). It also has my KICKR, Climb, and Ti Fierte on a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF. My kettlebells are on the MDF along with stretching straps.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in my 20s I was committed to doing the 5x5 routine (detailed below) and supplementing with other motions (as my ego saw fit).

I just picked up a squat rack off of Craigslist for free and invested in a bar + plates (total $180) in order to undo some of the chub that comes with a desk job, stress and being skeeved out at the gym post-covid. I'll probably return to the 5x5 and add a bit of dynamic moves as well as pull-ups (not chin ups). I really just don't wanna turn out like my dad when I hit my 60s.

5x5 Workout:
    5 sets of 5 reps for each motion.
    Workout A: Squat, Bench Press, Barbell Row
    Workout B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift

Add planks, kettle bells and pull-ups for a decent all-around workout
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We put in a squat rack, bench, bar and 230lbs of plates from rogue fitness, added on medicine balls, kettle bells, and dumbbells. Throw in some box jumps, and a TRX suspension trainer and we can do strength, cardio, and mobility/joint care. Adds variety and fits into a 10x12 room well

https://www.trxtraining.com/pages/su...ers-comparison

IMG_6490.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the minimum space needed to use a full size barbell for normal exercises like bench press, squats and deadlifts? I am planning on making some space in the garage but don't know if it will be enough. I have seen collapsible racks and I can definitely fit one but I don't know how much room I'd actually need to work out. This space would be for weight lifting only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'll take a crack at it based on a roll of the dice. Consider one simple olympic bar bell and a few plates. With that you could do: dead lifts, squats, overhead press or combine things in something like the Bear Complex. That takes very little room and the investment is tiny'ish.
    This reminds me of my grandfather's house in the '70-80s...he was a former Olympic weightlifter (Berlin 1936) and professional wrestler (it was fake back then, too) and had a very pragmatic setup in his basement. Stacked around the squat rack were piles of old bodybuilding magazines, archived AAU paperwork, and boxes of probably-stale protein bars. I have to dig up the old photo of his Olympic squad, but here's one of him solo. I have a high bar to meet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a high bar to meet!
    At a minimum, you could go for the pompadour. The rest, well, that requires actual work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olympic barbells are about 86" long (just over 7 feet).
    I've seen 6 foot bars on Amazon. I'm sure there's shorter ones too. I think that would feel funny though.

Wall mounted racks can sit pretty close to the wall. Maybe 24" That's room to put a bench underneath and do shoulder presses.
    Benches are between 4.5 - 5 feet long.

So with a 6 foot bar, I'd guess you could get away with an area that's 8' wide and 6' deep.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, if I'm going to do it I want it to be a space I'd actually use. With the current garage setup it might not be possible without moving a car when I want to workout. That isn't the end of the world but I'm lazy about it to begin with so every obstacle makes it less likely I'll use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read Pavel's book "Enter the Kettlebell" some off the best condition I've ever been in was when I was doing swings and presses on a regular basis. Just picked the 26 pounder back up, need to work into the 35 again. Used to have a 44 and a 53 but those days have passed :>).
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.