User Tag List

Thread: BMW R 1250 GS - Daily Rider

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BMW R 1250 GS - Daily Rider

Began this daydream as a long shot. Wondering if I could survive with a motorcycle as a daily commuter.
    When rationalizing the idea of such a purchase, the thoughts ran into dreams of riding the Blue Ridge Parkway on a crisp autumn afternoon. Then the 7 mile bridge down to Key West on a warm winter day. Then... well, you get it. Wondering if the wife would readily accept my offer as a pillion, I pitched the idea to her and I was met with a reply of 'oh my sexy man' or something like that.
    But anyways, I'm looking at this bike as a semi-daily rider. Using an older car when days are simply unbearable - for whatever reason.

So, I'm asking my favorite enablers, Vsalonistas, is this a bad idea? One that should be left in the furthest recesses of my mind.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: BMW R 1250 GS - Daily Rider

Gosh that would be a hoot for what you are envisioning. Sure why the heck not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems to be the bike that sets the bar in a lot of ways. I have no experience with your lifestyle plan but I endorse the idea.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a motorcycle now? What is your riding background? A 1250GS is a wonderful motorcycle and can work great as a commuter. I had a 1250RT but it was more bike than what I needed for my 10 mile commute and I wasn't taking trips with it. A new GS is close to $25,000 and not what I would recommend as a first bike.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no stranger to motorcycles. However, 90% of my experience was offroad. Started on a Honda z50 before I could walk. Then grew up riding, racing motocross, enduros, hare scrambles, etc. A short stint riding some dual sport organized rides.
    Yes, the GS is pricey. But that was made a bit more palatable after researching the Ducati Multistrada. Their $30k+ price tag made the GS seem like a bargain. If this was a $15k bike, the decision would be made already. But the cost doesn't stop there. I'm looking at an additional $5k in gear for the wife and I.
    So, I wouldn't consider this my first bike but my first real bike. And that's why I'm torn between the GS and the GSA. The GSA with its larger tank is a bit of a turnoff. ...I think.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With that type of off road experience you would have no problem with a GS. The big tank on the GSA is nice if you are doing long days or are out west with higher distances between gas stops. BMW just announced a stop sale on all motorcycles both new and used. Nothing official but rumor is it is emissions related.
    https://www.advrider.com/all-bmw-int...y-do-not-sell/
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow! That's interesting news. Thanks for sharing that.
    BMW is due to release the new 2024 GS next week. With a stop sale of the 2023; wonder if that situation could slide the scale in my favor. They could have a few too many 2023s sitting on the floor.
    My time line can wait to see how this shakes out.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your thinking, comparing its price to the multistrada. I attempted to enact a similar plan years ago when I told my wife that my midlife crisis car would be a Carerra 4S. Figured a lot of nice cars would fit under that price ceiling. No crisis yet, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIIW I've done 400 mile rides on my GSA before stopping for gas. These bikes handle great but I would not have anything to compare that to other than older BMWs I've owned. That said my buddy sold his Ducati becuase his 15 yrs. old GSA handled better.

GSAs are pigs in a good way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just called a local BMW dealer. The self imposed Stop Sale order has indeed happened. Sales department has no clue when it will be resolved.
    Bummer for Beamers. T-shirt orders - operators are standing by.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Just called a local BMW dealer. The self imposed Stop Sale order has indeed happened. Sales department has no clue when it will be resolved.
    Bummer for Beamers. T-shirt orders - operators are standing by.
    When I was looking, the used market was easy.
    Check here: https://www.advrider.com/f/forums/bikes.52/
    My experience with that forum is excellent.

DRAT!!! >> https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2...black.1674537/
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-22-2023 at 06:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang TT. Exactly what I’m looking for. Apparently, same goes for the person that jumped on that in 2.5 hours.
    I suspect the used bike market will reap some benefits of this temporary monopolized market.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 to advrider.com. I have bought and sold several bikes through that forum.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    +1 to advrider.com. I have bought and sold several bikes through that forum.
    What he said. I've purchased most of my clothing there. Advrider is anomalous sanctuary of sanity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used V-Strom 650, 2017 +. I'll do everything you want for short money, probably around 6-7K, and will go 2 up for the half dozen times the average female consents to riding pillion. I've had a couple BMWs, as far as functionality for the price, beemers don't come close to the DL650 or 1050.
    Allan Howard
    Former Marine, bike racer & bike cop
    IPMBA
    https://ipmba.org/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 1250GS us probably way overkill for a commute + extras usage but I see a lot of people doing it. The width, especially with rigid boxes, do not really help lane splitting at traffic lights but I reckon it is illegal and enforced in the USA right?

Not sure I would want to spend more than a Moots carbon gravel ebike for an ICE motorbike in 2023.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-03-2023 at 09:53 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am intrigued by the small tenere. Adjustable suspension, lighter than the big pigs, plenty of real world power, simple old school machine without, for example, 4 separate ECUs like my first year water cooled multistrada (amazing machine, far more fun IMO than a GS). Also, they are relatively cheap compared to a GS or a multi. Bigger isn't always better, especially if you are planning gravel roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I learned BMW lifted their 'Stop Sale' on the ICE bikes at the same time they're introducing the 2024 GS. Interesting/confusing enough times for me see how the dust settles. If that's possible.
    Rick