User Tag List

Thread: Recycling circuit boards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recycling circuit boards

Any tips on what to do with old circuit boards? I have a few from furnace and oven repairs and I just disassembled a non-functioning dehumidifier for recycling. Thanks
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recycling circuit boards

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Any tips on what to do with old circuit boards? I have a few from furnace and oven repairs and I just disassembled a non-functioning dehumidifier for recycling. Thanks
    We've been taking them in when we take our e-waste to recycling "events" locally and in NYC, but last time they didn't really know what to do with boards out of devices. I think they chucked them in their trash bin. However they took the devices that obviously had boards inside. And those boards are literally in everything electronic now, so maybe their volume has overwhelmed recycling facilities.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    We've been taking them in when we take our e-waste to recycling "events" locally and in NYC, but last time they didn't really know what to do with boards out of devices. I think they chucked them in their trash bin. However they took the devices that obviously had boards inside. And those boards are literally in everything electronic now, so maybe their volume has overwhelmed recycling facilities.
    I read one article which indicates that there could be $30 worth of gold in a board. Thinking of my upcoming anniversary…5 boards x $30…hmmmmm.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you called your trash collectors or recyclers? Ours does special pick-ups for electronic recycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, electronics pickup, either as a drive or if your local trash has an option.

While there is a fair bit of precious metals (much more copper than gold) they are also full of lead and other not great stuff. And the way you get the metals out is to shred them and then run the dust through various chemical and electrolysis baths. Then you’re left with fiberglass and PTFE… goo. The 21 century’s tailing ponds. In the grand scheme of things… it’s gonna be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People in africa or asia are dying from cancer because of what we call in first world countries "recycling" [1]

In many countries shops selling electronics have the obligation to accept old stuff and send them for recycling + local trash collecting agencies also have special containers once every n months but honestly I am not comfortable with how we deal with that. These circuits boards are toxic. There was an old story of a nerd who had decorated his bed room/office by mounting circuits boards and computer main boards on the walls and poisoned himself.

[1] which more often than not consists of sending the stuff we don't want to deal with to third world country huge dump sites where people would intoxicate themselves and pollute their water sources and ground while trying to collect gold and copper.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 08-27-2023 at 01:26 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The artists who designed the atrium sculpture/garden in our house started a new project using motherboards. In person they have a strange 3-D effect that is interesting. I understand this is the beginning of a series that will increase in complication, but I don't know what that will mean specifically.

http://www.mildeart.com/projects/motherboards
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books