User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Printing Photos Big- where to order from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Printing Photos Big- where to order from?

Getting our kitchen done and we have a big blank space on one wall where a cabinet used to be. I am shopping art prints but also contemplating printing one of my own.

I have printed big (60”) via Canvas Pop in the past and happy with the results but am looking to maybe do a more transitional photo print with matt and frame. Maybe 30x40” range.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have not gone bigger than about 24” from Artifact Uprising previously.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Printing Photos Big- where to order from?

I live in Australia so can't direct where to go / who to try but my answer if I had one would depend upon what image you want to print.

I have had many larger scale photo prints made from my own images over the years and I find the printing medium really makes a considerable difference to the result.

I've grown to prefer landscapes on canvas but faces / portraits / animals I find view much better on heavy matte paper. For a kitchen room print I'd even consider a glass or perspex print to avoid foxing / contamination from moisture / cooking fumes etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.printlab.com/ These guys do v-salon quality work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by open roader View Post
    I live in Australia so can't direct where to go / who to try but my answer if I had one would depend upon what image you want to print.

I have had many larger scale photo prints made from my own images over the years and I find the printing medium really makes a considerable difference to the result.

I've grown to prefer landscapes on canvas but faces / portraits / animals I find view much better on heavy matte paper. For a kitchen room print I'd even consider a glass or perspex print to avoid foxing / contamination from moisture / cooking fumes etc.
    Second that. Some form of back mounting would good. You can get a print back-mounted to a piece of high quality plexiglass and either frame it or most places will also create a hanging method for floating the image off the wall. Spatter and finger proofs the image.

Adorama used to do this method, and the prints were very good. Their business has changed post-Covid so don’t know if they still have their print business.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My artist (and soap-making) wife has a nice printer for making prints of her artwork. She is limited to matted 8.5X11, but she has used Staples for larger, photo-quality prints. Might be a cost-effective experiment.
    Last edited by bigbill; 08-02-2023 at 04:56 PM.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all. Will check out these options.
    And to clarify, if I print something, it'll be matted and framed under glass for exactly the kitchen related reasons you mention.

Will post the results in a few months, once the work is done and I can see the color palette of the room and measure exactly what size print I'm after.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 08-03-2023 at 02:07 AM.
    my name is Matt