Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommendations please: monitor for Macbook Air M2

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    The charging issue can be 3 things:
    - hardware limitation (monitor doesn't support an high enough version of the thunderbolt spec and cannot deliver the power needed)
    - issue during USB negociation between both device.

We have to take into account that what we call AC adapter, and sometime even cables nowadays, are very often not passive devices anymore but host microcontrollers that are more powerful than the original macintosh computers! So it is just not a pin connected to a voltage regulator. There is a complex protocol negociation being done and the thunderbolt specification is ever evolving increasing progressively display port bandwith and available power delivery.

Can it be fixed by a firmware update or a specific driver? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess any owner who is struggling should contact Dell support to know more about it.
    The impression I got was that the gripe about the firmware update is not related to the USB-C charging issue. And the complainants did speak to Dell customer service about the issue, which is how they learned that a solution is not available today for Mac users.

Yes, there were others that spoke of the charging issue, but they realised / were informed that they were using the wrong kind of USB-C (cheap, not Thunderbolt version or whatever it's called). Therefore, if the monitor model at hand is rated for a certain amount of power delivery through at least one USB-C plug, then the issue is just the cable.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Ok, getting a bit into the weeds, but the impression I'm getting is that with a 27" screen, for a mixed use including text and graphics, 2K might be more suitable. What sort of resolution setting do you have on your MBP when connected to the monitor? I understand that if it's not scaled down, text can appear itsy bitsy on a 27" screen.
    I'm traveling right now so can't verify, but iirc there's a slider in the displays preferences to make the text "big enough to see comfortable" rather than "itsy bitsy." Compared to my prior Dell monitor that was 1920x1200 the additional resolution/sharpness is very helpful.

Joel Danke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't used MacOs in a while but I do hope that in 2023 they have a separate scaling parameter for each display.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The charging issue can be 3 things:
    - hardware limitation (monitor doesn't support an high enough version of the thunderbolt spec and cannot deliver the power needed)
    - issue during USB negociation between both device.

We have to take into account that what we call AC adapter, and sometime even cables nowadays, are very often not passive devices anymore but host microcontrollers that are more powerful than the original macintosh computers! So it is just not a pin connected to a voltage regulator. There is a complex protocol negociation being done and the thunderbolt specification is ever evolving increasing progressively display port bandwith and available power delivery.

Can it be fixed by a firmware update or a specific driver? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess any owner who is struggling should contact Dell support to know more about it.
    Just to complete the thought on the charging issue, first, as a clarification, the one related to the use of cheap USB-C cables was to do with non-Dell monitors, and second, some of the people had a charging issue because it turns out that the plug on the monitor side was faulty.

I haven't used MacOs in a while but I do hope that in 2023 they have a separate scaling parameter for each display.
    What I found interesting was that people using a Windows machine with the same monitor didn't seem to have the same issue, so yeah, you make a valid point.

Also, with some monitors, when a Macbook is connected through a USB-C cable, the monitor makes a constant humming or beeping sound, even without speakers, and drives users mad. The issue is resolved only when the connection is changed to HDMI. I assume that's a problem on the monitor side.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not surprised.

After years of using thinkpads I have been given Dell when I changed company and I found out thermal management is really bad on those. This is not the brand I would put on top of my purchase list. Apparently my manager is finding loopholes to give me an m2 macbook without having me asking for anything so it looks like I will enter the world of MacOS full time in the next few weeks. Slightly curious but not super enthusiastic.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-28-2023 at 04:27 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is definitely an issue with Thunderbolt cables not all being created equally and there not being readily apparent ways to tell the difference sometimes.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t realize Apple was back in the display business. Logically that should be a seamless connection, though this is tech we’re talking about so anything is possible. I did like the thin-edge display on the old iMac that now sits in a closet waiting to be hauled to Apple for recycling.

https://www.apple.com/studio-display/specs/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    There is definitely an issue with Thunderbolt cables not all being created equally and there not being readily apparent ways to tell the difference sometimes.
    Yep, a bit silly, the whole situation.
    I didn’t realize Apple was back in the display business. Logically that should be a seamless connection, though this is tech we’re talking about so anything is possible. I did like the thin-edge display on the old iMac that now sits in a closet waiting to be hauled to Apple for recycling.

Yep, they're really quite good but are an overkill for my needs. I actually wanted to replace the old iMac with a new iMac, but the Missus persuaded me to get a Macbook instead so here we are.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, this is what I referenced earlier, it's fantastic. Seamless with all five of our family's MacBooks. Plug in and go. Frequently used for FaceTime with the grands :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can happily ship it to me instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using the Dell U3818DW that Jorn mentions for years with both apple silicon and intel MacBook Air/Pro's. Historically there wasn't any way to use the MacOS controls for the brightness or audio as it was PC-only, but now there's a free, open-source app to control it https://github.com/MonitorControl/MonitorControl#readme

It's a great monitor charges either my work MBP or personal MBA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a 34" screen a few years ago. For my work (typical executive office stuff) I needed wide more than high so a 21:9 monitor was better than a 16:9 monitor. I bought an AOC and am very happy with it. AOC is the old Admiral TV brand, bought by a Korean company. Note the 21:9 monitors come in a WQHD 3440 x1440 resolution but the cheap ones to avoid are 1080 lines.

If I were to buy now I'd go even larger, like a 38". The prices don't go up much until you get to over 40". I'd also look at the capabilities of any USB connectivity built into the monitor. It's easy to use an external hub but good ones are expensive so I think it's worth paying more for a monitor that has a few fast USB ports built in.

I read some discussion of a webcam. I wouldn't expect to use a monitor's webcam. They are all poor. The best webcam is an iPhone and it can connect to the laptop to become the video source for any video service (just go to Settings). Apple iOS can do this natively as of the last version but better software is from Camo that lets you adjust color, white balance, zoom, etc. I put the iPhone on a small boom so it can be at the right height and at the back of my desk for an undistorted picture. Much better quality for video calls. I also use an external mic on a second larger boom. Yes, my desk looks like I'm a radio DJ but I work from home. I spend 10x the time on video calls compared to face-to-face meetings. The boom is just out of frame for video calls so it all looks and sounds natural, just better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    For 27", I like my ViewSonic VP2768. If you're dealing with graphics and photos, I recommend this monitor because it's color calibrated out of the box. Many people don't realize how difficult it is to calibrate a monitor and how much it can affect design work.
    I went with your rec but in QHD version. Like you said, colours are spot on out of the box so no faffing required -- I really hate faffing with electronics. Resolution adjustment is easy peasy. USB-C charges the Macbook and performs all the functions without making noise. It wakes up and goes to sleep when the Macbook does. Wonderful.

Thanks.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12