Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations please: monitor for Macbook Air M2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recommendations please: monitor for Macbook Air M2

Settled for a Macbook Air M2 to replace my ageing iMac and would like to get an external monitor, somewhere in the 24-27" size range.

I'm not looking to spend a shedload of money on it so in terms of resolution, 4K is nice to have but not necessary.

I don't work with videos other than shortening and cropping so not in the realm of real work.

I am not a gamer.

I work with still images but nothing too detailed or advanced.

The bulk of the screen time will be working with MS Office and web browsing.

It would be beneficial if the lines in CAD drawings appear crisp as they would on the Retina screen, but it's a nice-to-have rather than a requirement.

I don't need the screen to pivot or swivel. Tilt would be nice, as well as the ability to adjust height.

I don't need a touchscreen.

I have read reviews of some monitors being noisy when connected through USB-C -- but I assume the noise isn't an issue when connected through HDMI, so I'm not sure if that's a real concern, that is, I don't mind using HDMI instead of USB-C unless someone tells me there is a downside to using HDMI.

Waking up the monitor in sync with the Macbook waking up seems a slight challenge on many (all?) non-Apple monitors. That isn't a concern if all I need to do is to hit a button on the monitor. One reviewer mentioned something bizarre, that he was made to force restart the Macbook every time, which would be annoying.

Thank you.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommendations please: monitor for Macbook Air M2

My wife has a Dell - U3818DW - that is huge and curved. She likes it. She uses it with a Microsoft Surface - the Surface is crap but the monitor works fine with it. And she has a MacBook Pro with the newer Apple chip (instead of Intel or whatever) - I think it is only 2 years old - and no problems with that. I've used it also, and the connection is pretty hardy. I can unplug her computer and plug in my computer (also a MacBook) and the monitor is recognized and my desktop appears immediately. Doesn't seem to matter which computer - MacBook, Surface, iPad, etc. It just switches. She also runs her Logitech fancy schmancy camera (Logitech Brio which she also recommends for its very high clarity and contrast as well as high quality microphone) connected to the monitor and that switches simply and easily too. The only downside is that positioning the camera requires a stand instead of sitting on the monitor where it would be too high. Tons better arrangement than trying to use the MacBook's camera and the monitor simultaneously. When she was shopping, most of the high-quality monitors did not have built-in cameras. She likes the curved concept because it functions well with peripheral vision required on a wide monitor (especially perhaps with glasses.) The monitor doesn't require region specificity when opening new windows - you can put them anywhere on the screen, move them around and resize as needed. Which is good because she'll have many different screens open while drafting or researching.

The only quirk is that the MacBook battery draws more power than it gets from the monitor, so if she leaves the laptop plugged into the monitor at night, the laptop slowly discharges. Then it starts waking up the monitor and asking to be plugged into power, accompanied by a soft "bong" sound. With the laptop and the monitor both awake, the power from the monitor convinces the laptop it is actually connected to power, so both devices go back to sleep only to wake each other up a few minutes later. Repeat. The MacBook has two USB-C ports, so the easy solution is plug the laptop into its power block if leaving it connected to the monitor. Or just unplug the laptop from the monitor. Usually she does neither, so I wake up and unplug it.

https://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/d...8dw-monitor/pd
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-25-2023 at 10:43 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might work for you and is not a big investment.
    Go to a big box store and look for a nice TV monitor that has HDMI (hint) they all done.
    Job done
    I believe I spent less than $300 and am happy enough. Like yourself I am not using this for anything intense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    My wife has a Dell - U3818DW - that is huge and curved. She likes it. She uses it with a Microsoft Surface - the Surface is crap but the monitor works fine with it. And she has a MacBook Pro with the newer Apple chip (instead of Intel or whatever) - I think it is only 2 years old - and no problems with that. I've used it also, and the connection is pretty hardy. I can unplug her computer and plug in my computer (also a MacBook) and the monitor is recognized and my desktop appears immediately. Doesn't seem to matter which computer - MacBook, Surface, iPad, etc. It just switches. She also runs her Logitech fancy schmancy camera (Logitech Brio which she also recommends for its very high clarity and contrast as well as high quality microphone) connected to the monitor and that switches simply and easily too. The only downside is that positioning the camera requires a stand instead of sitting on the monitor where it would be too high. Tons better arrangement than trying to use the MacBook's camera and the monitor simultaneously. When she was shopping, most of the high-quality monitors did not have built-in cameras. She likes the curved concept because it functions well with peripheral vision required on a wide monitor (especially perhaps with glasses.) The monitor doesn't require region specificity when opening new windows - you can put them anywhere on the screen, move them around and resize as needed. Which is good because she'll have many different screens open while drafting or researching.

The only quirk is that the MacBook battery draws more power than it gets from the monitor, so if she leaves the laptop plugged into the monitor at night, the laptop slowly discharges. Then it starts waking up the monitor and asking to be plugged into power, accompanied by a soft "bong" sound. With the laptop and the monitor both awake, the power from the monitor convinces the laptop it is actually connected to power, so both devices go back to sleep only to wake each other up a few minutes later. Repeat. The MacBook has two USB-C ports, so the easy solution is plug the laptop into its power block if leaving it connected to the monitor. Or just unplug the laptop from the monitor. Usually she does neither, so I wake up and unplug it.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've noticed that many models don't have a camera and have shitty speakers if it even has speakers. Gotta pay up if you want everything, I guess.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This might work for you and is not a big investment.
    Go to a big box store and look for a nice TV monitor that has HDMI (hint) they all done.
    Job done
    I believe I spent less than $300 and am happy enough. Like yourself I am not using this for anything intense.
    The thought has crossed my mind...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    The thought has crossed my mind...
    FWIIW I already had speakers and when I need a camera I put on pants and open the laptop ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For 27", I like my ViewSonic VP2768. If you're dealing with graphics and photos, I recommend this monitor because it's color calibrated out of the box. Many people don't realize how difficult it is to calibrate a monitor and how much it can affect design work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    For 27", I like my ViewSonic VP2768. If you're dealing with graphics and photos, I recommend this monitor because it's color calibrated out of the box. Many people don't realize how difficult it is to calibrate a monitor and how much it can affect design work.
    Yeah, the Dell is not a dedicated graphics display. A good all-rounder business display.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work from home on an older company-supplied i7 16" MacBook Pro and stare at a monitor all day long, with the laptop as a secondary display (& Zoom cam). I've been happy with a 27" LG 27BL85U-W 4K monitor. Supports display + 60W charging through USB-C. Mechanical keyboard + bluetooth mouse via the USB hub in the monitor. Moving the USB-C to my personal MacBook swaps everything no problemo.

Joel Danke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that's a good point. I noticed that some models struggle with colour calibration and users having to do some serious acrobatics to get it only partly right.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same computer, and sprung for the Apple Studio Display. I've had too many crap experiences with Dell/LG/Samsung etc over the years - use plenty of these at work. The Apple display is expensive but works extremely well. I do a lot of photo editing and the 4K resolution is nice. The integrated webcam and speakers are top notch. We also have wireless Magic Keyboard and trackpad.

Periodically they go on sale at Costco. My wife is an educator and we were able to purchase the monitor with education discount directly from Apple, which was the same as the Costco sale price.

I have not yet figured out how to make this monitor function with w my work PC (Lenovo), seems trickier than just plug n play, but I don't really care because if I need to work, I just go to work and avoid the distractions of the kids at home.

Just my $0.02. We seem to kill Samsung TV's at a rate of about one every five years... and we have yet to kill anything Apple in our house (phones, laptops, iPads, etc all running strong after several years).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdanke View Post
    I work from home on an older company-supplied i7 16" MacBook Pro and stare at a monitor all day long, with the laptop as a secondary display (& Zoom cam). I've been happy with a 27" LG 27BL85U-W 4K monitor. Supports display + 60W charging through USB-C. Mechanical keyboard + bluetooth mouse via the USB hub in the monitor. Moving the USB-C to my personal MacBook swaps everything no problemo.
    Ok, getting a bit into the weeds, but the impression I'm getting is that with a 27" screen, for a mixed use including text and graphics, 2K might be more suitable. What sort of resolution setting do you have on your MBP when connected to the monitor? I understand that if it's not scaled down, text can appear itsy bitsy on a 27" screen.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have the 4K or the QHD version?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your wife is using it with MS Surface, I suppose this is not an issue, but I understand that Dell doesn't have a driver for Macs to do a firmware update. In order to get the updates, it needs to be hooked up to a Windows machine. None of the "professional" Dell monitor reviews mention this for some reason, but it is a cause for some concern longer term...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your wife is using it with MS Surface, I suppose this is not an issue, but I understand that Dell doesn't have a driver for Macs to do a firmware update. In order to get the updates, it needs to be hooked up to a Windows machine. None of the "professional" Dell monitor reviews mention this for some reason, but it is a cause for some concern longer term...
    My impression is that Apple has taken over management of drivers within OSX or somehow otherwise changed that process to ensure compatibility. My wife has never had any firmware issues with waking or sleeping either monitor or MacBook. The only issue is that the powered USB-C connection is insufficient for fully charging the MacBook internal battery. That's hardware, not firmware.

She also says she's never seen any indication that there was a firmware update required for the Dell monitor while connected to either the Surface or the MacBook Pro. Really there isn't much that would require updating that I can think of.

I do know that some Mac users (Hi Dad!) insist on inserting a CD-ROM that came from the manufacturer or downloading drivers from a website somewhere in order to install drivers, but that's just being a bit dense about how things work now with OSX. So they'll write a review that complains about a lack of drivers, when they should just connect the monitor and let OSX
    give it a go.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have the 4K or the QHD version?
    4k. It's sharp, but I'm using Windows so YMMV but it should look the same with Apple OS. The driver should suggest an optimum resolution. I actually have the 32" 4K version of this monitor as well (VP3256-4K) and it also looks great, but most people don't need the extra size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV 27” WQHD

As a graphic designer and photographer I have two of the 4k versions of the ProArt but I have this exactly 27" as well for the printer to double check color profiles, surf the web when waiting, etc and I love it.

Honestly, this is one of the best monitors on the market right now if you care about color, and for such a steal of a price!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081G1RZZ5...c_p_m_5_i&th=1

Forgot to add what I am using right now. I have two of these side by side, and the color is damn near perfectly matching with sRGB and AdobeRGB color spaces. I paid $1400 each when they came out, but you can find them for $800-$1000 pretty easily. I would HAPPILY pay the $1400 again it is that good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My impression is that Apple has taken over management of drivers within OSX or somehow otherwise changed that process to ensure compatibility. My wife has never had any firmware issues with waking or sleeping either monitor or MacBook. The only issue is that the powered USB-C connection is insufficient for fully charging the MacBook internal battery. That's hardware, not firmware.

She also says she's never seen any indication that there was a firmware update required for the Dell monitor while connected to either the Surface or the MacBook Pro. Really there isn't much that would require updating that I can think of.

I do know that some Mac users (Hi Dad!) insist on inserting a CD-ROM that came from the manufacturer or downloading drivers from a website somewhere in order to install drivers, but that's just being a bit dense about how things work now with OSX. So they'll write a review that complains about a lack of drivers, when they should just connect the monitor and let OSX
    give it a go.
    I've seen several customer comments on the issue, not specifically with the model your wife has but across a few other Dell models, and those people attribute the problem to Dell rather than Apple. Not sure how important it is, but these people seemed fairly frustrated.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen several customer comments on the issue, not specifically with the model your wife has but across a few other Dell models, and those people attribute the problem to Dell rather than Apple. Not sure how important it is, but these people seemed fairly frustrated.
    The charging issue can be 3 things:
    - hardware limitation (monitor doesn't support an high enough version of the thunderbolt spec and cannot deliver the power needed)
    - issue during USB negociation between both device.

We have to take into account that what we call AC adapter, and sometime even cables nowadays, are very often not passive devices anymore but host microcontrollers that are more powerful than the original macintosh computers! So it is just not a pin connected to a voltage regulator. There is a complex protocol negociation being done and the thunderbolt specification is ever evolving increasing progressively display port bandwith and available power delivery.

Can it be fixed by a firmware update or a specific driver? Maybe. Maybe not. I guess any owner who is struggling should contact Dell support to know more about it.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-27-2023 at 05:45 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast