User Tag List

Thread: What's your "hot & humid weather" outside work t-shirt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's your "hot & humid weather" outside work t-shirt?

This weekend I was dealing with a drainage issue on the north side of the house, and in a short while my 100% cotton t-shirt was soaking wet, and it stayed that way.

I've done some searches online and there's no way in heck that I'm going to pay $30-$40 for something that's going to get used and abused.

Any recommendations for a lightweight, wicking, short-sleeve t-shirt that won't break the bank if I get several of them?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's your "hot & humid weather" outside work t-shirt?

Just pick a few up in the clearance section of TJ MAXX.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If $30-40 is too much, you’ll need to shop sales. Check out work apparel stores (like work world) for sun shirts. Sun hoodies are the new preference for construction types, so wolverine and similar are making light wicking sun shirts at a fraction of the cost of Patagonia and OR. But I think full retail is $30… so you’ll have to find a sale but they happen often.

FWIW for anyone reading this—if you *do* want to drop some coin, the OR echo shirts are the absolute pinnacle of UV resistance, light weight, and wicking. The UPF rating is lower than many other options, but the shirt is so, so much better at dropping heat. I was happy in mine for the entire 50k trail race in 80F+ weather recently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet cotton t-shirts are actually good when it's warm out. Your sweat is mostly water and water absorbs heat, cooling you off.

All that wicking t-shirt jazz is a good idea when it's cooler out and you want to get the water off your skin so you don't chill out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bought some Columbia long sleeve 50 spf shirts for working outside during the day's heat. As a bonus, I sprayed them with permethrin so the bugs leave me alone. The spray lasts 4-5 washings. These days, I avoid working or riding during high UV times.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I bought some Columbia long sleeve 50 spf shirts for working outside during the day's heat. As a bonus, I sprayed them with permethrin so the bugs leave me alone. The spray lasts 4-5 washings. These days, I avoid working or riding during high UV times.
    ^This^. Mine are Columbia saltwater fly fishing shirts, so lightweight button-front with built-in vents. I've sprayed them but they still get me. But better than a t-shirt.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books