User Tag List

Thread: Hydro Mocs slash Water Shoes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hydro Mocs slash Water Shoes

Who's wearing them whatcha like what works what doesn't?

Asking for a friend.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hydro Mocs slash Water Shoes

Not exactly the same thing obviously, but I have a pair of these that I wear when wading and fishing the river.

Pros:
    Cheap
    Sole is stiff and supportive - our local river is super rocky, so you need something tough
    The toe is fairly tough as well, which adds some protection

Cons:
    The draw string gripper (I don't know what it's called) that is supposed to keep the elastic string tight - it doesn't work, the string very easily slips through. I solved this by simply tying a knot in the string so it can't slip through.

Last edited by dgaddis; 06-28-2023 at 11:35 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had two pairs of these, the recent pair is an earlier generation than this the latest. I have had to replace the laces but the shoes themselves are holding up to abuse quite well.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/p...ml#color=77626

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have all kinds…from a Crocs that is more a moc to various water slippers for on paddleboards and so on.

The thing that is the nicest about the Croc things is if you are on a boat they really are good for not slipping (Sperry Topsiders on the other hand are slippery as can be as they protect the boat deck but not you). So if you are going in water onto boat and in water they are great. Plus they are comfy. That is why they are the go to for not only chef’s but offshore deep sea fishing.

BUT, I think you are thinking streams/ ponds/ lakes and I have an all time best in class for that….

This is going to sound really weird…and they are really weird to put on and get used to the first time…but my all time favorites…because it is the closest thing to bare feet with protection for sharp things on the bottom….

https://www.vibram.com/us/shop/fivef...M73_Black.html

I use them for canoeing/kayaking too because I can walk on the dock to get in the boat without getting splinters from the dock or leaving flip-flops on the dock for one of them to blow into the water while I am out on the boat. I even use them if I put the kayak on the top of the car to travel to a river as I can drive in them and walk on that painful gravel in the parking area by the launch ramp in them.

They are a bit out there but trust me on this.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when I was a kid, you wore your old running shoes or sneakers.

Water Moc- what a great marketing idea.

the wear holes allow water to naturally drain.... genius.

I am sure you all have old sneakers in the closet. Just repurpose...

I had an old old original pair of Salomon RAIDs from the 90's which I used for canyoneering until early 2010s and they fell off my feet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I have had two pairs of these, the recent pair is an earlier generation than this the latest. I have had to replace the laces but the shoes themselves are holding up to abuse quite well.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/p...ml#color=77626
    I forgot about these. I used to have a pair that I wore until they came apart. Didn't know they were still made.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Who's wearing them whatcha like what works what doesn't?
    I think it depends on how much ankle support you need.

If you don't need ankle support, Chacos are fine for me. Other people like Keens.

For when I need ankle support, I have a set from Baffin in Canada that are hiking boots with vents in the soles and uppers to let water out. Looks like they've been discontinued.

For alternatives with support, I'd consider these options: https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.co...sportage-shoes Whatever Piragis is selling will work well. You can also call them and ask what they'd recommend for your needs.

Without seeing them in the flesh, I like the look of these Frogg Toggs: https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.co...ge-boot-187458