Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Internet

Internet access is essential for those who spend extended time living in our RVs/travel trailers. Whether it's working remotely, paying bills, or something important like posting in forums, good access is nice. Our summers in Wyoming are 5G-free, so even with our cool phones, we're limited to 4G and hot spotting. For the past two years, we've been limited to 25GB a month each, so we have slow data after that is used up. I looked into internet from local providers, and it would be $90 a month for 10 Mb/sec with a $20 monthly fee when we're not here. I have Verizon, and they offered a new plan to get 130 GB for $15 more a month. So far, so good. We can watch Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime with no issues.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Internet

Big man, if you are asking I'll offer my observations and experience with this.

The best internet from anywhere has been a NETGEAR Nighthawk M5 5G Mobile Hotspot provisioned with a pre-pay chip (AT&T) using a MiMo antenna blah blah blah.

That said I'm over it and now that my buddy Elon allows RV mode I'm real close to saying eff' it and going in on Starlink RV. At our various trailer spots I've seen every possibly version of internet anywhere and Starlink in it's new RV version seems to be heads above the rest.

Somebody hold my wallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've got Starlink at home, and it's been great. If we were genuinely boondocking, getting the travel version would be a no-brainer. The only 5G in Wyoming is in Cheyenne, but our place is on top of a hill, so the 4G is pretty decent. We can stream on our smart TV, and I can get internet at an okay speed. Our off-grid property in Arizona has an amazing 5G signal due to a straight line of sight to a new antenna. I am preparing a paper on the sovereignty of the Crow Nation, and I've had no problem using online resources at the two colleges where I am faculty. I'll travel to the reservation in the coming weeks, and the signal is not so great. Gravel lots are located at the tops of hills so people can get cell phone signals. Yay, infrastructure.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starbucks. I use them for internet when driving. I don't like their coffee and the air conditioning is on too high, but they have high speed connections.
    Jay Dwight