User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multi-thread content; single chainring, wavers and dodgy hamstring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Multi-thread content; single chainring, wavers and dodgy hamstring

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    There's some waving and single chainring action going on in this video. Also some beer of sorts.
    If they head north a tad they should try the Nyama Choma. I’m not sure what the wine pairing would be, but I think a blend, something big and juicy with some licorice and tannins for spice, would be perfect.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 06-28-2023 at 10:23 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    something big and juicy with some licorice and tannins for spice,
    I see what you did there
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    That's interesting given that Amarone is named that because of its high tannin levels. Amaro = bitter, many equate bitterness and astringency.

And no, I don't do Amarone, as far as I know only one vineyard in Australia has Corvina and Rondinella. In my experience if you try it with anything else you just accentuate the dead fruit character that is already a problem in many Australian reds (the Bin 389 @BBB mentioned is a prime example, the last few I've tried were dominated by dead fruit and high alcohol).
    I know about the etymology of Amarone, but at least according to some classifications, it's more on the smooth end of the scale than on the tannic end. The greater level of residual sugars probably also helps (in the case of the unrefined drinker such as yours truly). I think I've had Amarones from 5-6 different producers, some, like Zenato, are better regarded than others. I still think that the $25 bottle (from a producer called Fabiano) is just as good as the more expensive ones I had. Pairs well with items other than red meat items.

I've had a bottle of Ciacci Piccolomini Brunello, and perhaps I should have let it age a bit more, but the wine was quite astringent. Paired fine with steak, but didn't taste well with anything else. It also didn't taste any more special than a $20 Rioja Riserva. Though I'm sure all this has more to do with my unrefined palate than anything else. That said, I do have three bottles of the Giro commemorative edition "ageing" right now, but I bought them more for the Giro connection than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't criticising: your taste is your taste.

It might, however, be that you actually don't mind tannin as such. I am not familiar with Piccolomini but lots of Chianti, including Brunello, is bretty. Brett tainted wine often has a metallic hardness on the finish, so maybe you are perceiving that as tannin astringency. Other areas where brett is very very common are Bordeaux and Chile. It is now quite rare in Australia; twenty years ago it was rife but we've cleaned up our act.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I waved. But, from the passenger seat of the car. Couple were out for a walk. She had ear buds on. He had regular over the ear headphones. Neither look impressed to be in the other's company. So, I waved. She looked even more unimpressed.

Out of my bike going up a hill. Hear a group behind. One guy is banging on about his time up a particular hill and was sure he was in the top-10. They ride past me and one of top-10's riding buddies interrupts the monologue and says his to me.

No single chainring, dodgy hamstring or wine involved. Although possibly the headphone couple might have needed a few glasses of wine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123