User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi-thread content; single chainring, wavers and dodgy hamstring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Multi-thread content; single chainring, wavers and dodgy hamstring

Well...where to start...

First up, asking Frank what he meant by a "beer" could be difficult seeing he died a while back.

Second, the French make terrible beer.

Third, the French do however make great wine, which as you note, is more than an adequate substitute. But, and seeing this thread involves cross-chaining the forum (see #21 in the single chain ring thread), the French are a bit uptight about their wine. Imagine a fine Bordeaux/Hermitage blend (Cabernet/Shriaz) or Sparkling Hermitage (Sparkling Shiraz)? In France such a concept would be treated with obvious de haut en bas, or potentially, to use the language of this thread, j44ke's black hole would open up under the Champs Elysees. However, in places like Australia we do cross-chain our wine and with great results. Penfolds Bin 389 for example, which is not only multi-varietal (Cabernet/Shiraz) it is also multi-regional. That'd really do the French's heads in! Rockford Black Shiraz is another great one, being a Sparkling Shiraz. So yeah, the French do a great wine, but their lack of imagination (or too many rules) causes them to lose points.

Fourth, and this is only my two cents, a "beer" probably means a recognisable brand that goes hand in hand with the country in question. In Australia, that'd be Fosters. Which is swill. We do have an airline, but post-Covid Qantas is on the nose. So, the land down under is in a bit of trouble. According to Frank. With the exception being our wine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should add, given the spirit in which this thread was started, that I generally don't wave drinking a beer or wine or while on an airline, though I probably would wave while drinking a beer or wine if someone waved to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, everyone now has to go watch the 2004 wine documentary, Mondovino. It is somewhere available I am sure. Not sure where though. Just go watch it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Well...where to start...

First up, asking Frank what he meant by a "beer" could be difficult seeing he died a while back.

Second, the French make terrible beer.

Third, the French do however make great wine, which as you note, is more than an adequate substitute. But, and seeing this thread involves cross-chaining the forum (see #21 in the single chain ring thread), the French are a bit uptight about their wine. Imagine a fine Bordeaux/Hermitage blend (Cabernet/Shriaz) or Sparkling Hermitage (Sparkling Shiraz)? In France such a concept would be treated with obvious de haut en bas, or potentially, to use the language of this thread, j44ke's black hole would open up under the Champs Elysees. However, in places like Australia we do cross-chain our wine and with great results. Penfolds Bin 389 for example, which is not only multi-varietal (Cabernet/Shiraz) it is also multi-regional. That'd really do the French's heads in! Rockford Black Shiraz is another great one, being a Sparkling Shiraz. So yeah, the French do a great wine, but their lack of imagination (or too many rules) causes them to lose points.

Fourth, and this is only my two cents, a "beer" probably means a recognisable brand that goes hand in hand with the country in question. In Australia, that'd be Fosters. Which is swill. We do have an airline, but post-Covid Qantas is on the nose. So, the land down under is in a bit of trouble. According to Frank. With the exception being our wine.
    Thanks for humouring me :)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Okay, everyone now has to go watch the 2004 wine documentary, Mondovino. It is somewhere available I am sure. Not sure where though. Just go watch it.
    I'd much rather watch a documentary on Trappist Beers ;)

But jest aside, I'll go watch this documentary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post

But jest aside, I'll go watch this documentary
    Do the Trappist monks wave...???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’m lucky enough to live a bike ride away from a Trappist monastery, but unluckily they had to close the only brewery in the US that made Trappist Ale.

Trappist monks of St. Joseph’s Abbey to close Spencer brewery, saying ‘brewing is not a viable industry for them’
    The only Trappist brewery in the U.S. is closing (and IPAs are to blame)

Feckin one-by.

Do the Trappist monks wave...???
    They sure as hell did on open house day, which also sadly seems no more but you can still buy their preserves. Damn, that’s good jam.
    https://trappistpreserves.pairsite.com/
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Damn, that’s good jam.
    Good jam could solve everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m lucky enough to live a bike ride away from a Trappist monastery, but unluckily they had to close the only brewery in the US that made Trappist Ale.

They sure as hell did on open house day, which also sadly seems no more but you can still buy their preserves. Damn, that’s good jam.
    https://trappistpreserves.pairsite.com/
    Fantastic! A good jam is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can draw a lot of parallels between artisanal beer brewery and frame building. Both exploded more or less at the same time with many people fed up with office jobs starting learning how to do it via information on the web and classes at the point the offering was too large than the actual market.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The parallels...too much beer and you run the risk of crashing your bike and too little experience behind the welding torch and you run the risk of crashing when your bike breaks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, artisanal brewing became popular when a whole bunch of hobbyists got one batch right and forgot about the others.

"Oh, you mean they all have to come out the exact same way?"

It explains the prevalence of IPAs, though. "Good God, this tastes awful. I know, dry hop the living hell out of it so you can't taste anything but that and we can sell it anyway."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The parallels...too much beer and you run the risk of crashing your bike and too little experience behind the welding torch and you run the risk of crashing when your bike breaks?
    There's a self-taught London builder that gained fame on IG, mostly fixies but also geared road bikes, all in steel. One customer was JRA and the brake bridge of his road bike just fell off suddenly. Luckily, it didn't cause a crash so he was not hurt if a bit shocked. Can you imagine a part of your frame just falling off mid-ride?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This links back to the Last Ride thread, but the movie has a clip of the time the BB failed catastrophically on Fignon's bike causing him to crash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I wonder if we can collapse the forum into a single thread? Or would that cause a black hole to open up underneath our feet?
    Sorry Jorn But I’m gone if that happens.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the French are a bit uptight about their wine. Imagine a fine Bordeaux/Hermitage blend (Cabernet/Shriaz) or Sparkling Hermitage (Sparkling Shiraz)? In France such a concept would be treated with obvious de haut en bas, or potentially, to use the language of this thread, j44ke's black hole would open up under the Champs Elysees. However, in places like Australia we do cross-chain our wine and with great results. Penfolds Bin 389 for example, which is not only multi-varietal (Cabernet/Shiraz) it is also multi-regional. That'd really do the French's heads in! .
    Bordeaux was routinely "hermitagé" when they could get away with it. Probably unnecessary now with the advance of ripening dates over the last decades but there have been a couple of attempts to revive the style:

Palmer historic XIX century blend

Jaboulet / La Lagune

BTW it isn't just the French. We had a couple of young Italian winemakers doing vintage in Beechworth this year, one working for me and the other (Francesca) for another local winery, which happened to be the vineyard from which I bought some Aglianico. The winemaker there asked me what I was doing with it and I replied that I was playing with the idea of a GSM with Italian varieties: Dolcetto is a bit soft and juby like grenache, Aglianico is big and licorice-y like shiraz and Montepulciano is tannic and spicy like Mourvedre.

Francesca was horrified: she's Piemontese and the idea of blending a Piemontese variety with two southern varieties was anathema.

She's wrong, the wine worked out well. I'm launching my own brand and this will the first red I release.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Bordeaux was routinely "hermitagé" when they could get away with it. Probably unnecessary now with the advance of ripening dates over the last decades but there have been a couple of attempts to revive the style:

Jaboulet / La Lagune

BTW it isn't just the French. We had a couple of young Italian winemakers doing vintage in Beechworth this year, one working for me and the other (Francesca) for another local winery, which happened to be the vineyard from which I bought some Aglianico. The winemaker there asked me what I was doing with it and I replied that I was playing with the idea of a GSM with Italian varieties: Dolcetto is a bit soft and juby like grenache, Aglianico is big and licorice-y like shiraz and Montepulciano is tannic and spicy like Mourvedre.

Francesca was horrified: she's Piemontese and the idea of blending a Piemontese variety with two southern varieties was anathema.

She's wrong, the wine worked out well. I'm launching my own brand and this will the first red I release.
    If your wine comes out anywhere like an Amarone (or even Ripasso), I'd be interested in trying it.

I don't do tannin: way too plebian to be able to tolerate the astringency.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your wine comes out anywhere like an Amarone (or even Ripasso), I'd be interested in trying it.

I don't do tannin: way too plebian to be able to tolerate the astringency.
    That's interesting given that Amarone is named that because of its high tannin levels. Amaro = bitter, many equate bitterness and astringency.

And no, I don't do Amarone, as far as I know only one vineyard in Australia has Corvina and Rondinella. In my experience if you try it with anything else you just accentuate the dead fruit character that is already a problem in many Australian reds (the Bin 389 @BBB mentioned is a prime example, the last few I've tried were dominated by dead fruit and high alcohol).
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post

Jaboulet / La Lagune

Interesting. Thanks for that!

Good luck with the wine release. Where (and when) will it be available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather than continue dominating this thread, I will, with the mods permission, start a new one when the time is right.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's some waving and single chainring action going on in this video. Also some beer of sorts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast