Having stumbled upon word that Leatherman is discontinuing one of their small sized multi-tools, I stumbled down a rabbit hole of EDC videos pointing out the shortcomings of multi tools versus carrying small versions of the ‘original’ tool. For example, instead of a Leatherman, maybe a small quality knife and small pair of Knipex pliers (hadn’t even heard of the brand until this morning….impressive stuff). There’s a whole sub-culture!

Reflecting on my own collection, I realized the only things I use with any frequency are the pliers (often not quite enough to get the job done), knife (always have one of those handy) and sometimes the small screwdriver (it’s never the right size or there’s not enough lever arm to loosen what needs to be loosened). I have micro- multi tools in my riding repair kits one for each bike (mostly for the pliers and tiny knife to cut patches) and a full sized LM in my kayaking repair kit. The micro tools are flimsy, the only appeal is that they are micro and fit neatly into my repair kit/saddle bag.

Makes me think I could be doing it differently with 2-3 small, purpose built tools. What are others carrying for cutting, screwing, plier-ing?