User Tag List

Thread: Multi-tools or Small Unitaskers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Multi-tools or Small Unitaskers

Having stumbled upon word that Leatherman is discontinuing one of their small sized multi-tools, I stumbled down a rabbit hole of EDC videos pointing out the shortcomings of multi tools versus carrying small versions of the ‘original’ tool. For example, instead of a Leatherman, maybe a small quality knife and small pair of Knipex pliers (hadn’t even heard of the brand until this morning….impressive stuff). There’s a whole sub-culture!

Reflecting on my own collection, I realized the only things I use with any frequency are the pliers (often not quite enough to get the job done), knife (always have one of those handy) and sometimes the small screwdriver (it’s never the right size or there’s not enough lever arm to loosen what needs to be loosened). I have micro- multi tools in my riding repair kits one for each bike (mostly for the pliers and tiny knife to cut patches) and a full sized LM in my kayaking repair kit. The micro tools are flimsy, the only appeal is that they are micro and fit neatly into my repair kit/saddle bag.

Makes me think I could be doing it differently with 2-3 small, purpose built tools. What are others carrying for cutting, screwing, plier-ing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Multi-tools or Small Unitaskers

I'm using a Leatherman!

Actually, I have a Coleman clone in my ATB Camelbak; I found the tool on the road.

I have a Leatherman Style on my personal keychain.

I had a Leatherman Squirt on my work keychain. I used it beyond it's limit and broke it. I replaced it with a Leatherman Bond, the smallest "full-size" tool they have which comes with a belt holster; I wanted to see whether I would like having the belt holster. For work use, it's not bad but not as quick as pulling a folding knife out of my pocket.

I like Leatherman products; rust-proof, durable, lots of features and many styles to choose from, and American-made. You should be able to find a Leatherman tool to meet your needs. Fathers' Day is coming up; get one custom engraved with your screen name!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pair of surgical-grade parallel jaw pliers with built-in wire snipper are handy.

Wera makes a very small bit ratchet that is super durable. Add a small set of bits from Wera and a thin extension (like the ones used with impact drivers) and that will handle most tightening and loosening things.

Small high quality pocket knife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I'm "doing stuff," I carry my OG Gerber tool and a Spyderco easy out. The Gerber tool was with me on my last submarine and the first few months of my officer career. I was a division officer on the carrier Eisenhower, and one of my Chiefs told me to put it away because I was an officer now, and I couldn't work on things. The holster for the Gerber is held together with lockwire. The handiest tool here in Wyoming is fencing pliers. I could remove an appendix with the Spyderco and fencing pliers.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com