Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird shit first world problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bird shit first world problem

Find a hawker, or for more fun a falconer, and have them come fly their bird for a while a few times. The nuisance birds will decide to be a nuisance elsewhere.

I recommend a falconer because you might be able to get them to have their bird stoop right over your head. Seeing one of those pass about a foot up going 100 miles an hour is way cool. Though a hawk will get the nuisances cleared just as effectively and the bird isn't as valuable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be curious to know if an individual can hire a falconer in an urban setting without consent from the authorities. I've heard of them being hired to clear airports, and historic city centers by the municipalities, but not sure an individual can take that decision and how much it would cost me. I fear it would only work for a limited amount of time and birds would eventually come back given the proximity of food sources.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-03-2023 at 07:34 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I'd be curious to know if an individual can hire a falconer in an urban setting without consent from the authorities. I've heard of them being hired to clear airports, and historic city centers by the municipalities, but not sure an individual can take that decision and how much it would cost me. I fear it would only work for a limited amount of time and birds would eventually come back given the proximity of food sources.
    From Airborne in Las Vegas....

A: First of all, be careful hiring any pigeon control contractor to remove pigeons from your house without understanding that it will likely be a “one and done” temporary fix. If something about your house is attractive to one pigeon, it will attract another. You will more than likely have to hire someone again and again to remove new birds that try to settle down where you don’t want them and that can become expensive. We don’t service an individual house in a typical neighborhood because even though we are very effective at removing pigeons, there is a limit to what even we can
    do. In a residential neighborhood if you’re having a pigeon problem the chances are so are your neighbors. Also, there’s a chance one of your neighbors is feeding pigeons either on purpose or unintentionally if they have outdoor pets that the pigeons steal food from. While we can come in and make your house the most undesirable one on the street and subcontract cleanup and custom exclusions, I feel we can’t give you the quick and permanent solution you’re looking to achieve by being a solo client in a neighborhood of people who are basically working against us. Since I am an extremely honest contractor and not willing to make promises or claims we might not be able to keep, we don’t even pretend to be able to handle a single home in a neighborhood and don’t want to take your hard-earned money for a service that will probably underwhelm your expectations.

We completely know pigeons and know infested neighborhoods are a setup for failure unless the whole HOA is on board and agreeable to the service. We have successfully controlled pigeons in entire subdivisions because we have room to work, authorization from everyone to operate across all of the homes in the neighborhood, and are able to remove birds up and down all of the common areas thereby establishing a no-fly zone that pigeons eventually learn to stay out of. Again, for a single house it’s nearly impossible, but for an entire neighborhood with the HOA’s blessing it’s game on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At one of the local garden places I saw a big owl made out of metal that had wings that moved in the wind like it was flying. It looked really cool but cost $300 so I didn't buy it. I bet that'd do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    do. In a residential neighborhood if you’re having a pigeon problem the chances are so are your neighbors. Also, there’s a chance one of your neighbors is feeding pigeons either on purpose or unintentionally if they have outdoor pets that the pigeons steal food from. While we can come in and make your house the most undesirable one on the street and subcontract cleanup and custom exclusions, I feel we can’t give you the quick and permanent solution you’re looking to achieve by being a solo client in a neighborhood of people who are basically working against us. Since I am an extremely honest contractor and not willing to make promises or claims we might not be able to keep, we don’t even pretend to be able to handle a single home in a neighborhood and don’t want to take your hard-earned money for a service that will probably underwhelm your expectations.
    Well, many old people give bread to pigeons in the nearby park, as well as one neighbour. They already had a verbal fight with another neighbour complaining about it. but keep doing it.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    At one of the local garden places I saw a big owl made out of metal that had wings that moved in the wind like it was flying. It looked really cool but cost $300 so I didn't buy it. I bet that'd do the trick.
    IME, seagulls got used to that and the foil streamers and the fake snakes. The only thing that worked was the swinging arm that moved in the breeze but that just stopped them from landing on the post it was mounted on and they landed by flying in under it. Seagulls at the beach and the four seagulls we bizarrely have up in the mountains several hundred miles from the ocean.

Seagulls are sky rats and so are pigeons. They will survive us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Seagulls are sky rats and so are pigeons. They will survive us.
    I've seen a seagull eat a pigeon around here.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't Bon Jovi CDs deterrents? I thought you could hang a CD like a wind chime and that that would at least deter a few. I would offer to park my father-in-law's 1990s black Audi nearby because they will shit all over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Aren't Bon Jovi CDs deterrents? I thought you could hang a CD like a wind chime and that that would at least deter a few. I would offer to park my father-in-law's 1990s black Audi nearby because they will shit all over it.
    I tried that, but I guess I would need more than one and in the end it annoyed me when I was enjoying the Terrace!
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are motion activated sprinklers if you have a water hose connection up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I felt it was time for a visual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

I felt it was time for a visual.
    Someone needs to find a different parking space. Or a chainsaw, if parked under a tree and can't find a different parking space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12