Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camp coffee. What's good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Camp coffee. What's good?

My wife got me a moka pot at the beginning of the month and I've since ut 6K miles and many nights spent in the van all up the west coast and out to OH and back.

Good call gents.

Need to upgrade the hand grinder now before I set out again and will be looking at the one Toots recommended.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    My wife got me a moka pot at the beginning of the month and I've since ut 6K miles and many nights spent in the van all up the west coast and out to OH and back.

Good call gents.

Need to upgrade the hand grinder now before I set out again and will be looking at the one Toots recommended.
    You won't regret that grinder. I've been using mine for three yrs. Glad you dig the Moka, it is genius.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post

Good call gents.

I've been using the same moka pot for 20 years, in the house, traveling and camping (had a cheap electric boiler espresso/cappu maker at the office; an open alcohol flame woulda been frowned upon). Heat source has varied over the years but maybe ten years ago I finally, wisely, settled on the dirt simple, totally reliable Trangia alcohol burner with a wind screen made of a large drip grind coffee can I found in a trash can. Recently had to replace the moka pot gasket (it was fully....and I mean FULLY amortized); I suggest grabbing a couple of replacements now.

One day maybe I'll try some nice beans, freshly ground....but probably not; Cafe Bustelo does the job nicely, quickly and requires no additional hardware. As my engineering school lab boss/former GM engineer was fond of saying "parts left off cost nothing and don't break".
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12