Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp coffee. What's good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Camp coffee. What's good?

I've been roasting my own and making a daily espresso for about the past 15 years. How are you all making coffee that you look forward to drinking when you're camping and on the road? Admittedly, I'm a little spoiled...I've been roasting my own and making a morning espresso for the past 15 years and ALWAYS look forward to my cup and the process.

I have an Aeropress and hand grinder and it's not great. There must be a better way.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Camp coffee. What's good?

Whistle kettle and French press. I have Starbucks singles if I'm in a hurry or lazy.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre-grind coffee at home and put in well-sealed container. Snow Peak stove. Ilsa Slancio mokka pot.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lido3 hand grinder and a classic Italian screw together Moka Pot. Get your grind right and it's heaven. The Lido3 is a very VERY good grinder.

*I home roast. Thank you for your service.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-18-2023 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    I've been roasting my own and making a daily espresso for about the past 15 years. How are you all making coffee that you look forward to drinking when you're camping and on the road? Admittedly, I'm a little spoiled...I've been roasting my own and making a morning espresso for the past 15 years and ALWAYS look forward to my cup and the process.

I have an Aeropress and hand grinder and it's not great. There must be a better way.
    If you really want fancy, espresso machine in the trunk of a wagon/SUV

This photo was taken at a master's regional championship event (in Mabra-land)

If you want to go full hog, something like what's done here. Beware that the two presenters come across as a bit too smarmy.

But for practicality, what @j44ke suggested.

I personally pre-grind and bring a French Press

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Pre-grind coffee at home and put in well-sealed container. Snow Peak stove. Ilsa Slancio mokka pot.
    I think I'll combine your suggestions. A Snow Peak rep gave me one of those stoves, in titanium without the ingition, about 20 years ago and it's a very dependable backpacking stove.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Lido3 hand grinder and a classic Italian screw together Moka Pot. Get your grind right and it's heaven. The Lido3 is a very VERY good grinder.

*I home roast. Thank you for your service.
    How long does it take to grind an amount sufficient for the Moka Pot? I can't recall the brand of the hand grinder I have, but by the time I have enough coffee to use the AeroPress, I'm not sure I want it anymore...it's tedious.

I splurged on one of those Pepper Cannon's last year and am considering throwing some beans in to see how it handles them.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came here expecting to read about coffee with pink ostrich feathers. Can you tell I'm not a coffee person?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some rechargeable electric burr grinders out there. Some are pretty small, but I don't know much about the details. They remind me a bit of smaller versions of the old Krups spice and coffee grinder, just without the cord.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I came here expecting to read about coffee with pink ostrich feathers. Can you tell I'm not a coffee person?
    RVing with John Waters. That would make for a fun reality show
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I cut the top off a nalgene bottle to make a lexan carafe that my plastic coffee dripper sits on. But the Starbucks instant is pretty passable and saves a lot of time and you don't have to deal with the grounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    I think I'll combine your suggestions. A Snow Peak rep gave me one of those stoves, in titanium without the ingition, about 20 years ago and it's a very dependable backpacking stove.

How long does it take to grind an amount sufficient for the Moka Pot? I can't recall the brand of the hand grinder I have, but by the time I have enough coffee to use the AeroPress, I'm not sure I want it anymore...it's tedious.

I splurged on one of those Pepper Cannon's last year and am considering throwing some beans in to see how it handles them.
    Sixty turns gets me right around 75 grams or enough for one Large Moka Pot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    HA!!!! That's perfect. I'll push for the Moka Pot because it is one "thing" and require nothing other than fire. They are dog cheap and last forever infact please consider burying my ashes in a Moka Pot.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-19-2023 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This and some room temperature water should be good enough, if you're on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    This and some room temperature water should be good enough, if you're on the road.

Drop and give me 20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed these at a restaurant in Italy, and since then they keep popping up in different spots. They are made by the same company, Ilsa, that makes our espresso pot but I think this is more of a percolator than an espresso pot. Anyone use one? They come in sizes, but I've only ever seen the small one. The restaurant brought them out to the table for after dinner coffee.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My coffee perspective is probably different due to my background and the length of our "camping" trips. I'm a retired navy guy so the bar is pretty low when considering coffee. I love the taste of coffee and the only no-go for me is a burned taste. At home, I use a drip brewer that I turn on when I get up in the am. I don't use the timer because I am retired, and each morning is an opportunity to sleep in. While the coffee brews, I make some breakfast, typically oatmeal with some fresh berries. When the coffee is done, I turn off the maker and pour the coffee into an insulated thermos. I usually have two large mugs with breakfast.

We lived in the travel trailer for five weeks last summer. This summer starts in about 3-4 weeks when we leave for Wyoming until late August. Coffee is a daily staple, not anything special. The only "special" coffee mornings were in Yellowstone where I broke out the French press. This summer, we have a week in Gardiner, Montana, at an RV park spot that backs up to the Yellowstone River. The French press should see some action before we break out the fly rods.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I noticed these at a restaurant in Italy, and since then they keep popping up in different spots. They are made by the same company, Ilsa, that makes our espresso pot but I think this is more of a percolator than an espresso pot. Anyone use one? They come in sizes, but I've only ever seen the small one. The restaurant brought them out to the table for after dinner coffee.

Jorn…thanks to you I am about to go down the rabbit hole of Ilsa coffee and espresso makers.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Jorn…thanks to you I am about to go down the rabbit hole of Ilsa coffee and espresso makers.
    The stainless steel is another level of quality. There's some weight to it. Don't drop it on your bare foot in the morning.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made myself a portable espresso press that takes a standard 58mm portafilter and uses a small stainless actuating cylinder to deliver profilable pressure up to 1 MPa.

The downside is it loses heat quickly so I have to do a couple of dry runs before adding coffee. I currently have it apart improving the insulation so no pics.

I can run my small Mahlkonig grinder from the 240V outlets in the car so no problems there.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a Timemore ( https://us.timemore.com ) hand grinder while I was in California because the Times coffee-nerds gave it a gold star. There are many variations. I use a French press and steep for awhile then pour through a paper filter into an insulated cup. On the road a Jetboil gets water hot lickety-split. The most important ingredient is the coffee and I order from Caravan in Newberg, OR, which I found while working in the neighborhood last year. Even my coffee-nerd friends agree that they do a fine job.
    Jay Dwight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast