Thread: Throw Away Culture

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Throw Away Culture

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Do you come back every time with a metric ton of hardware? Why not riding the bike to the hardware store? That way you could ride several days a week and go to Dysneyland Magical Kingdom as many times ! :D Win-Win!
    You are right. I definitely need one of these. 45miles, 2700' of elevation.

Last edited by j44ke; 04-10-2023 at 10:20 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I totally forgot to be outside to see TMB's wave. We make lists for trips to town. Unless it's parts for something that needs to be fixed immediately, I try to limit it to 1-2 trips a week. I also order stuff from Amazon, the trucks are going to run anyway.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    You are right. I definitely need one of these. 45miles, 2700' of elevation.

If the traffic is light that can be a pleasant time especially with assistance in that upright/omafiet position. Since adopting my gf's omafiet I realize you can even carry a truckload of things with a regular bike with 2 rack and front and rear panniers. Most of the time it is enough unless you need to transport furnitures or plants. I've been eyeing a cargo bike for years but having converted my kids trailer to a cargo one I think going with a simple electric assisted city bike + double racks + optional trailer is a better proposition as I would probably use the bike more.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometime if you want a unique thrill you should load up a cargo bike and head out on a New York state numbered highway. I think you'd only try that once.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn, when you buy that thing NixFrixShun is your sponsor

Last edited by Too Tall; 04-10-2023 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I identify.

This year the goal is to add riding the bike.
    And a You Tube channel if you want to be like Beau Miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally purchase used vehicles. I'm pretty sure it remains the most cost efficient and environmentally responsible option. As more hybrid and EV options become available on the secondary market, I'll probably transition. I feel like I might have one more ICE purchase in front of me. I will almost certainly purchase (or help purchase) a hybrid of some type when my oldest needs a vehicle in a couple of years. It seems like overall reliability and projected maintenance costs for Toyotas, Hondas, and some other hybrids are not much different than ICE options. While this approach continues to pump emissions, it also eliminates the costs associated with new production and at least partially reduces costs and/or losses associated with breaking down a car (vs. continuing to use it). Perhaps only marginal gains in environmental impact, but TCO can't be beat.

I ran numbers on adding enough solar capacity to charge two EVs for my household. The incremental cost on a financed system, even with low interest rates and significant incentives, partially offsets fuel cost - but savings are not dramatic unless you're a high mileage daily commuter (I'm not). Solar does lock in a fixed rate vs. the variable costs of fuel, which will almost certainly continue to rise over 10-20 years.

I might add residential solar this year, but I'm torn on spec'ing capacity to charge one or more EVs because the economics - even with incentives - are still not great for my particular use case: WFH, drive < 8 miles annually, live in the Northeast with lower production in winter months, etc., etc.

Which is to say: If I lived in AZ, solar + EV would probably be a no-brainer. Given my MO to vehicle ownership, I'd be first in line for a used Rivian SUV in ~ 5 years...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    I generally purchase used vehicles. I'm pretty sure it remains the most cost efficient and environmentally responsible option. As more hybrid and EV options become available on the secondary market, I'll probably transition. I feel like I might have one more ICE purchase in front of me. I will almost certainly purchase (or help purchase) a hybrid of some type when my oldest needs a vehicle in a couple of years. It seems like overall reliability and projected maintenance costs for Toyotas, Hondas, and some other hybrids are not much different than ICE options. While this approach continues to pump emissions, it also eliminates the costs associated with new production and at least partially reduces costs and/or losses associated with breaking down a car (vs. continuing to use it). Perhaps only marginal gains in environmental impact, but TCO can't be beat.

I ran numbers on adding enough solar capacity to charge two EVs for my household. The incremental cost on a financed system, even with low interest rates and significant incentives, partially offsets fuel cost - but savings are not dramatic unless you're a high mileage daily commuter (I'm not). Solar does lock in a fixed rate vs. the variable costs of fuel, which will almost certainly continue to rise over 10-20 years.

I might add residential solar this year, but I'm torn on spec'ing capacity to charge one or more EVs because the economics - even with incentives - are still not great for my particular use case: WFH, drive < 8 miles annually, live in the Northeast with lower production in winter months, etc., etc.

Which is to say: If I lived in AZ, solar + EV would probably be a no-brainer. Given my MO to vehicle ownership, I'd be first in line for a used Rivian SUV in ~ 5 years...
    Not sure about the USA but here in Spain and I think in other parts of europe there is a growing market for ICE to EV conversions.

The end result might not be as refined as a vehicule made to be hybrid from a start but I think this is the more sustainable way. I am still undecided if I'll ever buy a car but I would totally want to convert a classic or a camperized van if I was to own a 4 wheel vehicle.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345