User Tag List

Thread: Designing a timber bike - is there a source of part geometry such as der hangers etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Designing a timber bike - is there a source of part geometry such as der hangers etc?

Hi, first post here and perhaps a little leftfield, hopefully that's cool.

I am a designer/draftsman, have worked with timber most of my life and being a bike nerd I thought it would be a good idea to design a timber bike. The end result should at least be interesting, hopefully functional. Most parts will be timber, with interfaces to steel components such as steerer, bottom bracket etc. Some of these I can procure through the use of a hacksaw at the local bike coop, however things like dropouts need to interface to the frame quite differently to normal and I will draw these up and get them laser cut.

Is there a good source of data such as standard dropout dimensions (relationship of hanger mount to axle), cantilever stud from axle distances, cantilever stud spring tension holes, etc, etc? An ISO standard? Will buying it bankrupt me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Designing a timber bike - is there a source of part geometry such as der hangers

Buying the metal bits from Paragon Machine Works will save you an immense amount of heartache.

It isn't difficult to get their parts to play nice with wood, you just need to think very carefully about stress distribution.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Designing a timber bike - is there a source of part geometry such as der hangers

That is tempting for the rear dropouts, I will consider it. I'll still need a custom brake bridge for the rear though, as I'm fairly wedded to canti's. Fabrication wise I don't have many concerns, it's trivial to draft up and the cutting is entirely accurate, it's more a matter of getting good information on what should be where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PVD has a lot of framebuilder spec manuals on his wiki.

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/ind...tegory:Bicycle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's probably worth looking at others who have done this. Here's one that I got to ride:

https://www.sylvancycles.com/Home.html

Sunderland's Sylvan Cycles is making bicycles out of local wood
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin