Thread: Ultrasonic cleaning

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ultrasonic cleaning

Hi everybody

random question .. I'm just sorting out a proper ultrasonic cleaner for Ti tube cleaning and just wondered what / if any solutions people are using to clean tube with, I'm aware that deionised water is a good call but any sage thoughts or advice would be appreciated

thanks

Jim
    Jim

jimbuildsbikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ultrasonic cleaning

Jim,

Ultrasonic's strength is in it's cleaning action. Three parameters must work in concert; ultrasonic action, integrated heat and a solution designed for the material you are working with.

A dedicated rinse station of heated distilled water must be used after parts removal to ensure a clean, neutral base for further metalurgic work.

Ultrasonics will not remove mill scale, paint, or other mechanically adhered finishes.

For bicycle fabrication, you want to find a unit that will fit the length of an entire tube, have integrated heat elements, and has an easy to drain solution release. This is NOT cheap, but is a great investment. New units meeting these requirements typically cost around 6K. With patience and some serious auction creeping, you can find nice used units for far less.

There are numerous detergent formulas available for ultrasonic cleaning, each with a target application and use. It is best to research and speak with the tech personnel of your unit to determine what best fits your needs. At the most simple, folks use a mixture of Simple green and deionized water. I use a product specifically designed for titanium preparation, Brulin Formula 815 GD mixed with distilled water. All parts are then rinsed in a heated circulation bath.

You can see the process here:

cheers,

Rody
    Rody Walter
    Groovy Cycleworks...Custom frames with a dash of Funk!
    Website - www.groovycycleworks.com
    Blog - www.groovycycleworks.blogspot.com
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Groov...s/227115749408

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Rody said with one thing emphasised: be careful with the cleaner formulation. As an example I routinely use a product that is a combination of an alkaline sodium salt and peroxide for cleaning and sanitising stainless steel surfaces in the winery. This combination will etch Ti (Titanium_Corrosion_in_Alkaline_Hydrogen_Peroxide).
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rody View Post
    There are numerous detergent formulas available for ultrasonic cleaning, each with a target application and use. It is best to research and speak with the tech personnel of your unit to determine what best fits your needs. At the most simple, folks use a mixture of Simple green and deionized water. I use a product specifically designed for titanium preparation, Brulin Formula 815 GD mixed with distilled water. All parts are then rinsed in a heated circulation bath.
    Note that Simple Green is not a good choice for use at elevated temperatures. I am not sure on the exact details/chemistry involved, but when researching this for an industrial application, I noted a "decomposition temperature" of 109 F on the SDS for Simple Green as well as Simple Green Extreme Aircraft. The makers of Simple Green confirmed that it's not effective at elevated temperatures... basically no better than water.

We use products from Brulin (custom brewed) as well as ots products from Crest Ultrasonics. Our process runs most effectively at about 160 F. Crest will sell small quantities direct to consumer, at least in the USA. Not sure about UK.

Otherwise, in general, as stated above: best to talk to the folks that make the machine you've got, or the folks that make the chemicals for industry. Explain what you're doing and they should be able to make a recommendation. Crest was very helpful to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rody

thank you for some very good info in your reply, I'll do a a bit more research ! but that 's been a great help

cheers

Jim
    Jim

jimbuildsbikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Mark , sounds tricky might steer clear of your stuff

cheers jim
    Jim

jimbuildsbikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Drew, that really helpful as I currently use Simple green for degresing the tubes etc and was tempted to just use that diluted but sounds like thats a bad idea !!

cheers Jim
    Jim

jimbuildsbikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone, good news I've found the Brulin formula 815GD in the U.K , so I'd share for anyone else who's trying to get hold if it, only bummer is you have to buy 25L !

https://www.silmid.com/cleaners/dete...rmula-nf-25lt/

cheers Jim
    Jim

jimbuildsbikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the ultrasound machine in the US I found a compatible size intended for gun cleaning:
    https://www.brownells.com/tools-clea...sonic-cleaner/
    Will accept up to 34 inches, under $2000 US.
    Andy Walker
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri