Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Suits - where buy?

So, I'm (finally) to the point in my life where I would like to have a couple of Real Nice Suits. I don't wear them often, but whenever I need a suit, it's a Mad Panic to get something for a nice dinner, business gathering, etc. Normally my everyday work wear is the same Cintas uniform as the rest of our company, so I'm not worried about everyday.

I bought one at JosABank a couple months ago, and wound up with only disappointment and regret. I have concluded that suits, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Looking now at Sid Mashburn and Tom James. Tom James has a location near me, and Sid Mashburn is coming on their "road tour" to a place near me so I can get fit up.

Any other suggestions? I don't mind spending in the $1500-ish range for pants/jacket. But don't want to go much more than this. Probably also get a half dozen shirts or so to go with it.

Current thought is to maybe get three - one from Mashburn, one from TJ, and one from a local spot near me. See which is best and go from there. But I'm a buffoon when it comes to nice clothes - I just don't wear them often enough to really know what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Suits - where buy?

Nordstrom is not a bad resource, where you will most likely be fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing and you can spend what you want.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Looking now at Sid Mashburn...I don't mind spending in the $1500-ish range for pants/jacket. But don't want to go much more than this. Probably also get a half dozen shirts or so to go with it.

Current thought is to maybe get three - one from Mashburn, one from TJ, and one from a local spot near me. See which is best and go from there. But I'm a buffoon when it comes to nice clothes - I just don't wear them often enough to really know what's going on.
    Fit is the most important aspect. Sid Mashburn is a good choice. Spending more than a few hundred for an "off the rack" suit from the big department stores makes no sense. Spend the money on a good "made to measure" suit which can be had for about $1500 (most Bespoke starts at $5,000). Also look at the Divij tour schedule.

Think about 2 good suits rather than a few lesser ones: One dark navy and one charcoal will cover most people for 99% of needs unless you wear one to work every day. Same with shirts, get a few nice ones rather than too many mediocre ones: white x2, light blue x2, stripe, and something fun. Proper Cloth is a good choice, or Mashburn, or Divij. You can get shirts "made to measure" as well. Same for ties (if you plan to wear one), get a few classics/basics that can be matched with the shirts and suits.

And, do not forget good shoes: one black pair and one brown pair should cover 99% of needs. Allen Edmonds is a good basic to start with (only purchase them when on-sale which happens several times a year). Alden is another good option. Carmina is a personal favorite.

Here are a few YouTube videos to watch (look through their channels for other related content):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go to Ben Silver in Charleston if it's not too far from you.

I think DC still has a brick and mortar J. Press, if that's closer to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

Glad to hear they’re still around as I have some old regimental ties (cut from the heart) and cloisonné cuff links that I purchased from their Charleston shop back in the 90’s that still get playing time…never out of style.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Glad to hear they’re still around as I have some old regimental ties (cut from the heart) and cloisonné cuff links that I purchased from their Charleston shop back in the 90’s that still get playing time…never out of style.
    how can these go out of style if these never are in style?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last go around was Brooks Brothers. I have an average build so not looking for cutting edge fashion which would not look good on me. My backup would be Nordstroms -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    how can these go out of style if these never are in style?
    I wear a rep tie at least once a week during the semester, and I promise I've never been accused of being fashionable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nordstrom is not a bad resource, where you will most likely be fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing and you can spend what you want.
    I have 1 good suit and it’s from Nordstrom. If I needed more suits I’d go back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Both my son and I buy suits at Men's Wearhouse. I have a 8-10" drop so their model of racks of jackets matched up with racks of pants works for my build. As long as I want charcoal gray or navy blue, I'm good to go.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew,
    Once you figure out your preferred fit and finish - as pointed out above, check out https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/intl/mens-suits/
    I have several pieces from them and they fall in line with my budget/quality demands. Especially like their 'customization' in sizing. I much prefer to order clothing in sizes denoted in number, in lieu of letters.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr Bob - believe it or not... the only one 'round these here parts, is in a giant mall in Charlotte. I don't mind the drive but last time I was in that mall, it's still wall to wall people... which is kind of a trigger for me. Appreciate the input - maybe I can make some time to go down there on a Monday morning or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Fit is the most important aspect. Sid Mashburn is a good choice. Spending more than a few hundred for an "off the rack" suit from the big department stores makes no sense. Spend the money on a good "made to measure" suit which can be had for about $1500 (most Bespoke starts at $5,000). Also look at the Divij tour schedule.

Think about 2 good suits rather than a few lesser ones: One dark navy and one charcoal will cover most people for 99% of needs unless you wear one to work every day. Same with shirts, get a few nice ones rather than too many mediocre ones: white x2, light blue x2, stripe, and something fun. Proper Cloth is a good choice, or Mashburn, or Divij. You can get shirts "made to measure" as well. Same for ties (if you plan to wear one), get a few classics/basics that can be matched with the shirts and suits.

And, do not forget good shoes: one black pair and one brown pair should cover 99% of needs. Allen Edmonds is a good basic to start with (only purchase them when on-sale which happens several times a year). Alden is another good option. Carmina is a personal favorite.
    Lots to unpack here... and I hear you on the shoes. Appreciate you putting all of this together. Shoes seems like a bit of a black hole...

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

Charleston closer but still about five hours. Next time I'm down there I will have a look. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Drew,
    Once you figure out your preferred fit and finish - as pointed out above, check out https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/intl/mens-suits/
    I have several pieces from them and they fall in line with my budget/quality demands. Especially like their 'customization' in sizing. I much prefer to order clothing in sizes denoted in number, in lieu of letters.
    Agree on numbers rather than letters. 100%. I think I am going to go see someone who knows what they're doing until I get comfortable... then maybe I can try ordering.

My biggest issue is that when I find something big enough in the neck/shoulders, it's like a parachute around my waist/belly, and the arm holes are so big that I can barely lift my arms without tugging the whole front around. I've been told by a few people that the answer is made-to-measure and it will be a world of difference, and worth every penny. Here's hoping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

My biggest issue is that when I find something big enough in the neck/shoulders, it's like a parachute around my waist/belly, and the arm holes are so big that I can barely lift my arms without tugging the whole front around. I've been told by a few people that the answer is made-to-measure and it will be a world of difference, and worth every penny. Here's hoping.
    In the late 90s they made "athletic cut" cut suits (because it was a trend and luckily it worked for me) which offered an 8" or 10" drop (i.e. 44 coat, 36 pants, 44 coat and 34 pants) and the coat was cut fuller in the shoulders/neck/chest area and slimmer in the waist/belly. They do not make these anymore and why I have personally moved to "made to measure". Off the rack suits today are cut for heroin-chic style (and trend) so they often look 1 size to small even for the very slim person who is wearing it. I think it looks ridiculous.

Arm holes are always cut big in off the rack suits so they can fit a wider range of people, but as you mentioned the downside is the coat pulls when you lift your arms. MTM (and Bespoke) suits have the arm holes cut higher and closer-in so that it moves with you and the coat does not pull.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d ask for it just because it’s called frogmouth notch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear a suit on average once every 5 - 10 years. The last suit I bought was a skinny suit at Brooks Brothers - the real Brooks Brothers store at 346 Madison Ave, which the fake Brooks Brothers recently sold to be redeveloped into whatever. Totally classic but slim fit with thin lapels and completely plain front no pleats wool suit. Before that every suit I bought was one and done. By the time the next opportunity came around to wear it, the style had long since died a merciful death. Black, thin cut, great with a white shirt and a thin black tie. Only color I wear with it are red socks so I don't get confused with the undertaker delivering the body.

I like this video, but I'd rather never wear a suit.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I sometimes regret not getting fitted in early 2010 while I was in Hong Kong. At the time, I had no plans to retire from the Navy in two years, but things change and I ended up needing a new suit for job interviews. Having spent most of my working life in coveralls and steel toe boots, my bar was pretty low for a suit. Since 2012, I've worn a suit to interviews, weddings, funerals, and an awards dinner for my son. I made the choice to have jobs where business casual was as "dressed up" as necessary. Engineers don't dress up, especially when working in manufacturing.

Suits for me were a check in the box for certain occasions. The most tailored suit I've ever owned is this one, which mostly still fits although the jacket is oversized on me because my chest and shoulders are smaller. I wear a 42 jacket and that's a 48. My pants are gathered up in the back as well. I was teaching a Cold War class at the local CC.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Totally classic but slim fit with thin lapels and completely plain front no pleats wool suit. Before that every suit I bought was one and done. By the time the next opportunity came around to wear it, the style had long since died a merciful death. Black, thin cut, great with a white shirt and a thin black tie.
    Those also went out of fashion since. Wider lapels, more generous cuts are back. Some are almost going all the way back to the 90's zoot suit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    Those also went out of fashion since. Wider lapels, more generous cuts are back. Some are almost going all the way back to the 90's zoot suit.
    Casualty of the future.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post