Thread: To douse, or not to douse

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: To douse, or not to douse

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    I had to reread this whole thread to understand what it was about. You learn something new every day. I have never in my life lived in a place where there isn't green space for your pets. Not sure I ever want too...
    This is not a big thing in Spain. There are some but not in every neighborhood. Also most people being lazy, a lot will never reach for them anyway.

Also, Spain is that country where 15y ago people used to throw away any food leftover on the ground in the restaurants/bars as well as the cigarettes butts. In fact it used to be the case that it was like a seal of approval, you would look for the dirtiest places to find the best restaurants. It changed a lot in recent years through lots of campaigns because they realized it gave a bad image for tourism but there are still a few small places like that but they are very few and nowadays thoses are cheap places limited to a particular public like students.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I quickly found out that most spanish (at least men) don't wash their hands in the bathroom so don't expect them to handle their dogs in a clean manner, they spread their own urine and feces on everything they touch anyway, including yourself. Yes because on top of that they are very tactile!
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-10-2023 at 08:55 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Also I quickly found out that most spanish (at least men) don't wash their hands in the bathroom so don't expect them to handle their dogs in a clean manner, they spread their own urine and feces on everything they touch anyway, including yourself. Yes because on top of that they are very tactile!
    I was in Cartagena about 20 years ago and saw the restaurants you describe. It's kind of unnerving to walk through a restaurant and step on something soft and squishy. For bathrooms, I had my weirdest experience, mostly because I'm a murican, when I was using a urinal while a woman cleaned the wall and all the other urinals around me. I washed my hands but I remember there being no way to dry them. Despite dogshit and food on the floor, Spain is still one of my favorite destinations, I'll just carry hand sanitizer.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are going there.....

Trainspotting and the worst toilet in Scotland! and that's saying something

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Common question on dog training/hunting sites, "Which is makes a better retriever, male or female?"

All my hunting dogs have been and will be female. Ever picked up your blind bag and shotgun after putting out decoys to learn that your buddy's dog pissed all over both of them?

My son brings his male dog over to our house often, has to run around and pee on everything in our back yard. I make my son "douse" everything that isn't fence or plant. Before this post I'd never even heard of such a thing. Just hate the smell of dog urine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hey now denigrate NO2 at the risk of defaming my Alma Mater who had the worst football team in all of college sports and we have the Sports Illustrated interview to prove it. One of our more infamous cheers "Nitrous Oxide Inert Gases All OUR players go to classes".

Back to your regular program.
    This was a legend in the area. I remember it.

Anyway, when I quit my career and join the ranks of pet owners, I’m getting cats. Furthermore, we don’t own them, they tolerate us if we feed them and make us think they love us but secretly conspire to eat us, apex predators that they are. Their cuteness is a ruse.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Careful there Elroy. You may be a happily married man with a cute puppy who likes nice people. Dog parks and dog walking society are full of wolves in sheep's clothing. There's a blog somewhere done by someone documenting the social goings-on at the dog park on 80th and Central Park West at the Natural History Museum. Read it and beware.
    This sounds hilarious. I searched for it, no luck. It sounds like quite an inspiring dog park: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dog...ert/1100297199

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    This sounds hilarious. I searched for it, no luck. It sounds like quite an inspiring dog park: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dog...ert/1100297199
    I couldn't find it either. I heard someone talk about it on WNYC around the same time The Nanny Diaries came out - perhaps even because of The Nanny Diaries. So that was a while ago. All the makings of a screenplay-in-waiting.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    This was a legend in the area. I remember it.

Anyway, when I quit my career and join the ranks of pet owners, I’m getting cats. Furthermore, we don’t own them, they tolerate us if we feed them and make us think they love us but secretly conspire to eat us, apex predators that they are. Their cuteness is a ruse.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I had an urban forestry teacher in college who gave this lecture about dog pee killing trees. I didn't believe her, so I conducted an experiment: I was living in a basement converted garage that I rented from a retired professor. Every day when I got home from class I went outside and pissed in the same green spot. I don't remember if it was a plant, shrub, or tree but I rendered it as dead as a doornail in a few weeks.
    I went to a boarding school I loathed. The grass on the quad below my window did not green up come springtime.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Careful there Elroy. You may be a happily married man with a cute puppy who likes nice people. Dog parks and dog walking society are full of wolves in sheep's clothing. There's a blog somewhere done by someone documenting the social goings-on at the dog park on 80th and Central Park West at the Natural History Museum. Read it and beware.
    I'm going to hang onto the radical notion that we're adults who enjoy each other's company and are just rolling with our chance meeting. Our thread is that she's an alum of the American school where my wife teaches and our kids attend. We're meeting Tuesday for another playdate. The actress and her partner are bringing chai plus a treat for Drake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't bleach and vinegar corrosive too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I'm going to hang onto the radical notion that we're adults who enjoy each other's company and are just rolling with our chance meeting. Our thread is that she's an alum of the American school where my wife teaches and our kids attend. We're meeting Tuesday for another playdate. The actress and her partner are bringing chai plus a treat for Drake.
    You are a good man Hollis.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    A lot to be said about the Japanese custom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    A lot to be said about the Japanese custom.
    Which japanese custom?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which japanese custom?
    I believe he means, like in Quebec, shoes off just inside the entryway to the house. Although the causation for the reasoning for it is different, the result is the same.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    I believe he means, like in Quebec, shoes off just inside the entryway to the house. Although the causation for the reasoning for it is different, the result is the same.
    I've never seen that as a japan only custom. I believe at least most of europe does that too, north of africa and most of asia/middle east too.

The difference might be when we have guests. I've always removed shoes at home but if I have a worker or a visit at home I tell them to not remove their shoes because I don't have guest sleepers. In Japan and some other countries guest are expected to remove their shoes too, while we just wipe the floor after the visits.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen that as a japan only custom. I believe at least most of europe does that too, north of africa and most of asia/middle east too.

The difference might be when we have guests. I've always removed shoes at home but if I have a worker or a visit at home I tell them to not remove their shoes because I don't have guest sleepers. In Japan and some other countries guest are expected to remove their shoes too, while we just wipe the floor after the visits.
    Though commonly practiced in Japan, Japan isn’t the only place where it’s commonly practiced.

As for contractors who show up, we provide slip-on overshoes. They don’t have to remove boots upon entering, and we reduce the amount of muck brought in. Usage of overshoes is quite common at real estate showings.

Where things get tricky is when moving in/out of a residence, though good movers would usually unroll carpets for walking.

And back on topic, one should have a designated spot for one’s bikes, especially say a bike that loops around areas such as Central Park, which has a 1-km long section known as manure (v)alley.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12