Our clothes washer and dryer are dying. They're both about 10y old, "generic" Whirlpool front load washer and dryer, and starting to make bearing noises. I would love to relocate the laundry in our home to upstairs where the noise doesn't matter, but this is not an option. Thus, I am on the hunt for quiet washer and dryer.

I'm done with front load washers. The kids don't have the mental capacity to leave the door open, and the washer grows mold on the door seal and stinks. I'm tired of cleaning it. Top load washer only.

Any recommendations? I want as quiet as possible. Price... within reason, not a concern. It's easy to go to Lowe's etc and get another pair of (disposable) Whirlpools. I have a corporate discount from Whirlpool that makes this option attractive.

Speed Queen says their 7 series stuff is quiet... anybody have experience with them? Warranty is great (7 year) and we have a shop in town that sells them. I'm going to go see them today. But... they're expensive. They say 25 year life expectancy, which from my experience, is equivalent to three sets of Whirlpools. So the price probably favors Speed Queen in the long run... if they actually last the 25 years advertised.

We don't have major stain issues or anything - I don't expect miracles from the washer... we usually pretreat the kids' baseball stuff/grass stains/etc.

Just looking for first hand experience if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks!