Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mikaela Shiffrin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mikaela Shiffrin

End the season on a high note, win number 88: https://skiracing.com/shiffrin-ends-...d-21st-gs-win/

Then endure your boyfriend conducting your podium interview: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp-kZ...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is incredible. The interview was great. Hard not to like her, a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Do you know where this is? I know it’s not beartooth… they don’t have that kind of infrastructure, so surely it’s either alps or southern hemisphere. Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Do you know where this is? I know it’s not beartooth… they don’t have that kind of infrastructure, so surely it’s either alps or southern hemisphere. Just curious.
    Someone in the comments is claiming to recognize it as Portillo. I was thinking it had to be southern hemisphere.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    The yellow building and lake give it away as portillo. I met someone jut returning at the end of August and they said the snow was really crappy this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her mom posted more pictures. The snow doesn’t look too bad to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwlW_FNu...ZjMTM2ODFkZg==

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And she’s off to a fast start (Petra was faster but flew a little too close to the sun, gate-wise):

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...ory-in-finland

Looks like the Zermatt round is canceled. I am hopeful that my ski season here in the PNW will not be a bowl of soggy oatmeal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And she’s off to a fast start (Petra was faster but flew a little too close to the sun, gate-wise):

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/20...ory-in-finland

Looks like the Zermatt round is canceled. I am hopeful that my ski season here in the PNW will not be a bowl of soggy oatmeal.
    Reindeer is better than the pig for Tro Bro Leon.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oof, that drone footage at 1:10

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^

So clean and graceful. What a stud.

Also, that following drone footage is the only videography I've seen that gives a sense of how fast the racers are going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing. That really shows the air time and the speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Amazing. That really shows the air time and the speed.
    The speed is crazy. The first Winter Olympics I worked was Placid (although I was in charge of panicking about no snow and buying every snow machine I could find) and I worked on a good many after that. Somehow I have missed over all of these decades that they actually spray water on the course to let it freeze/ ice to make the speed more. I only learned that about a week and a half ago when our local ski hill hosted a Women’s World cup and I watched them do it the night before. Oh, Shiffrin came in 3rd that weekend. But she absolutely wowed the locals with her human/ just a nice kid who skiis way of accessability.

On a side note for Dan…our local ski hill does not hold a candle to my memories of Crystal when I was living/working in Seattle.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    The speed is crazy. The first Winter Olympics I worked was Placid (although I was in charge of panicking about no snow and buying every snow machine I could find) and I worked on a good many after that. Somehow I have missed over all of these decades that they actually spray water on the course to let it freeze/ ice to make the speed more. I only learned that about a week and a half ago when our local ski hill hosted a Women’s World cup and I watched them do it the night before. Oh, Shiffrin came in 3rd that weekend. But she absolutely wowed the locals with her human/ just a nice kid who skiis way of accessability.

On a side note for Dan…our local ski hill does not hold a candle to my memories of Crystal when I was living/working in Seattle.
    I can't imaging having to hustle to find snow machines for the Placid Olympics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go out on our porch in the late evening and hear the low rumble of the snow machines at our local slope, Catamount. I forget the exact history, but the original owner years ago designed one of the water-mist snow "cannons" still used today. With all the lights on, the hillside looks like a nocturnal cloud.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...oomed-success/

Original article was from 2011 when she was 16. She really did go on to become the goat.

With so many uncontrollable factors, she really did control most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same race, with added interview. See whee woohoo at 4:25. Do what you love, love what you do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I go out on our porch in the late evening and hear the low rumble of the snow machines at our local slope, Catamount. I forget the exact history, but the original owner years ago designed one of the water-mist snow "cannons" still used today. With all the lights on, the hillside looks like a nocturnal cloud.
    Sorry to derail a Mikaela thread, but I hear that Catamount is killing it right now. But damn there is no future even in machine-made snow for small ski areas in the northeast. The latest data I’m legally required to use for designing heating systems shows 28 fewer days below freezing in 2030, and 50 fewer in 2050.

Even these places will soon be like those rusty abandoned rope tows we ride our mountain bikes by. While picking up ticks on the same days of the year when people used to ski.

With love, Debbie Downer.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 12-11-2023 at 08:19 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Sorry to derail a Mikaela thread, but I hear that Catamount is killing it right now. But damn there is no future even in machine-made snow for small ski areas in the northeast.
    No worries, Debbie. WRT man-made snow, as long as the temps support it, is it a better or worse use of water than other recreation? Than golf courses? Than Las Vegas? Perhaps I'm too hopeful that spraying mountain slopes with irrigation-grade frozen water is slightly less wasteful than other things. And I do realize that your note was about temperatures rising.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No worries, Debbie. WRT man-made snow, as long as the temps support it, is it a better or worse use of water than other recreation? Than golf courses? Than Las Vegas? Perhaps I'm too hopeful that spraying mountain slopes with irrigation-grade frozen water is slightly less wasteful than other things. And I do realize that your note was about temperatures rising.
    Yeah, better than a golf course is splitting hairs. I get that. But I’m an energy guy, and my first thought isn’t about redistributing that water in a better manner, like let’s say for fellow humans to drink. It’s about the massive amount of energy required to pump that water back up the mountain, and the beyond massive amount of energy required to run those air compressors to atomize that water by those snow guns when those few and getting fewer hours make the outdoor air cold enough to freeze it into “snow”.

And the irony that, before we changed the climate, that this simply happened naturally.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 12-11-2023 at 09:26 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast