Thread: Home Backup Generator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home Backup Generator.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    As much as I'l like not to spoil your research deep dive a few more things. Running two gensets linked in tandem gives you more need to feed gas. It's really meant more for RV people who want enough juice to run their AC using units they can carry to their pick-um-up-trucks.
    For the past couple yrs. I've managed the facilities at a campground. We have two deep water wells and use a Wen brand genset for power backup. I was pleasantly surprised how nice these are and the price is no joke. Also, for the $$ you get dual fuel if that is something you are interested in: https://wenproducts.com/collections/generators Mind the performance numbers when assessing a genset using propane. The rating will drop some.

FWIIW I *think this is the Wen genset we use. Smokin' deal if I say so myself: https://wenproducts.com/collections/...hutdown-sensor
    I have a 4000 watt Wen we take on RV trips. It has a 30A outlet and I can run everything in the trailer on the generator. It is also dual fuel and really quiet. When we head to our pinion pines property, we run on the battery during the day and only run the generator for 30 minutes in the morning and again around dinner time. The evening generator run fully charges the house battery. I have a male-male extension cord so I can load strip the house and just run certain loads (not AC) on the generator if we have a long term loss. We aren't here in the hot months but last summer, the neighborhood lost power for two days after a monsoon took out power lines. I read about it from Wyoming while considering whether I needed to turn on the heat or not.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this place. Thank you both!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I am leaning toward the lockout and portable generator route. And have enough money left to purchase a nice, mid-line bicycle... like a new Sachs... since his queue just opened... and a Sachs is mid-range... sorry for the sideways cross-thread sarcasm from the "peg does not do gravel" thread.
    Do you mean that you'll manually open the main breaker and other circuits you don't want to power and then backfeed the house wiring from genset to whatever 120 duplex outlet is handy?? Please tell me you mean something else.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Do you mean that you'll manually open the main breaker and other circuits you don't want to power and then backfeed the house wiring from genset to whatever 120 duplex outlet is handy?? Please tell me you mean something else.
    Surely he also means that he will disconnect the house from the grid. Otherwise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I plan to put the generator in the living room, and then run stripped lamp cord wire from the generator receptacle to one of the wall receptacles.

.... kidding.

It will have an interlock and a proper inlet, likely done by a contractor although I am confident it's within my capabilities... and the generator will be outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Surely he also means that he will disconnect the house from the grid. Otherwise
    I wonder if I could find a way to sync phasing of my genset with the grid... what could go wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what could go wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    pic
    I know. I appreciate the concern but the project will be done to code and common sense, with a permit and a contractor. I have heard too many horror stories of both accidents and issues with home inspections when homes are sold. I have no desire for either of these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I plan to put the generator in the living room, and then run stripped lamp cord wire from the generator receptacle to one of the wall receptacles.

.... kidding.

It will have an interlock and a proper inlet, likely done by a contractor although I am confident it's within my capabilities... and the generator will be outside.
    Doesn't sound like you're doing what I feared. Sounds like/I'm guessing you're going to end up with a multi-circuit generator transfer switch with CBs wired & manually switched to interrupt a half dozen or so of the house CB cabinet circuits between line/off/generator. I feel better. I did that myself but I also built the house. I do hate cutting into long finished work.

I'm glad we're in the subtropics and can get by just fine on 2000w, absent the pump which is easily resolved with a modest purchase. If it ever got cold here, like just a couple of decades past, I'd stick a wood burner in the house and have to keep from getting run out by the heat. I do lust over a 3k Honda/Yamaha inverter but I just don't need it....though perhaps I could sell it as a "backup machine". I think that would fly.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't sound like you're doing what I feared. Sounds like/I'm guessing you're going to end up with a multi-circuit generator transfer switch with CBs wired & manually switched to interrupt a half dozen or so of the house CB cabinet circuits between line/off/generator. I feel better. I did that myself but I also built the house. I do hate cutting into long finished work.

I'm glad we're in the subtropics and can get by just fine on 2000w, absent the pump which is easily resolved with a modest purchase. If it ever got cold here, like just a couple of decades past, I'd stick a wood burner in the house and have to keep from getting run out by the heat. I do lust over a 3k Honda/Yamaha inverter but I just don't need it....though perhaps I could sell it as a "backup machine". I think that would fly.
    We just purchased a dozen of the new Honda 3200w suitcase style inverters at my shop. They're fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just purchased a dozen of the new Honda 3200w suitcase style inverters at my shop. They're fantastic.
    I loath that I purchased a Honda 2000 and they come out with the new one's only a year later.

No kidding, these little Honda's are terrific. One pull and sips gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loath that I purchased a Honda 2000 and they come out with the new one's only a year later.

No kidding, these little Honda's are terrific. One pull and sips gas.
    Toots - if you have the space, you can get a 2000 and a 2000 "companion" and run them in tandem, for the same money as one 3200, maybe a fuzz less. We had a space constraint and the 3200 fit the bill perfectly, eh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No kidding, these little Honda's are terrific.
    Yeah they are.

We have the Yamaha/iPower inverter and it's fantastic; easy start, sips gas and tandem capable though we haven't the need.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12