Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terror in the NC piedmont

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Terror in the NC piedmont

So- two electrical substations were shot up Saturday night as a drag show was about to start, and now 40,000 people are without power for the foreseeable future.

What can we do to further harden our infrastructure against right-wing terror? Gates and fences and signs are no longer enough. A high powered rifle in the right(wrong) hands appears to be enough to bring an entire county to it’s knees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Terror in the NC piedmont

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    So- two electrical substations were shot up Saturday night as a drag show was about to start
    I'm guessing this refers to a quarter-mile car race and not a campy musical number performed by heavily made-up men in women's clothing, but either way I can't figure out the connection to a firearms discharge. Was someone protesting the race/song? Was someone celebrating the race/song? Were they just using the event as cover for an act of terrorism? Pretty weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no answers but as someone that likes to think things through I find the whole electrical grid ridiculous. It seems like the type of thing where there should be some redundancy and backups. Kind of like supply chains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bon Ross, this is 2022.
    Moore County is proud of its racetracks, but this is the Culture Wars turning into real violence- Queens, not piston pushers are who were targeted here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I have no answers but as someone that likes to think things through I find the whole electrical grid ridiculous. It seems like the type of thing where there should be some redundancy and backups. Kind of like supply chains.
    Executive summary: the grid can handle some level of typical problems. It can't handle terrorism, domestic or otherwise. Want to bring the US to our collective knees? Just shut off power, internet, and cell service. Per reporting from multiple media outlets, there is some level of redundancy for typical outages caused by weather events and equipment failures. The NC outage was caused by a targeted attack that made significant damage beyond that typically and/or historically expected. The damage was significant enough to remove the ability to route around the affected substations.

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This report was on 60 Minutes earlier in the year after someone fired some .50 cal rounds into a couple transformers in California. Essentially, taking out 9 select substations would cause a coast-to-coast blackout.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/america...es-2022-08-28/
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure improvements to the grid are innumerable. Most utility companies won’t do anything not mandated by the government, and the government is hardly willing to do anything that would give the utilities an excuse to raise customer rates.

Reading between the lines on some of the comments from NC, it sounds like they feel the shooter knew what to shoot to make repair more complex and power outage longer. If so, that sounds like a utility employee to me.

Edit: or someone who watched 60 Minutes or has the internet or or or or……….
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-05-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/docum...nt-17MAR21.pdf

It isn't like Homeland security is unaware. I am sure they are monitoring the chatter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by thollandpe; 12-05-2022 at 03:43 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm watching NHK News Broadcast from Japan tonight, and they are showing the 'targeted' attack on the power grid in the US.

They also highlight in 2021, a group of 3 were arrested and another group of 4 men were arrested in Idaho for planning an attack.
    I believe the ATF will make an arrest sooner rather than later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power still not back on, but pictures of the county sheriff mugging with a loony lady who got kicked out of the Army after storming the capital are easy to find on the internet.

We are all so effed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Power still not back on, but pictures of the county sheriff mugging with a loony lady who got kicked out of the Army after storming the capital are easy to find on the internet.

We are all so effed.

Some of us have been effed for years. The continual erosion of the educational system and the political rise of the evangelicals will drag the USA into the third world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    As it turns out we’re actually doing something to address that. Literally as I type this.

From a notice I’m reading, "As part of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, the Grid Deployment Office (GDO) is administering a $10.5 billion Grid Resilience and Innovation Partnership Program (GRIP) to enhance grid flexibility and improve the resilience of the nation’s power grid.”

That bill earmarked a total of $23 billion to modernize and expand the grid. It’s kind of a big deal.

DOE launches new grid modernization office

The vote tallies for the “Bipartisan” Infrastructure Bill are instructive. But a win is a win.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 12-09-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Between the Jackpot (The Peripheral) and The Road, one could begin to think of going off the grid before the grid goes off.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On one hand I can certainly understand and appreciate the importance of the free press, but on the other hand, stuff like this making major news is scary. Never know when the wrong yahoo with a hunting rifle and an agenda will realize how much damage can be done with a really low level of sophistication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    As it turns out we’re actually doing something to address that. Literally as I type this.

From a notice I’m reading, "As part of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, the Grid Deployment Office (GDO) is administering a $10.5 billion Grid Resilience and Innovation Partnership Program (GRIP) to enhance grid flexibility and improve the resilience of the nation’s power grid.”

That bill earmarked a total of $23 billion to modernize and expand the grid. It’s kind of a big deal.

DOE launches new grid modernization office

The vote tallies for the “Bipartisan” Infrastructure Bill are instructive. But a win is a win.
    There's a long list of good things tucked into that infrastructure bill that never saw any press.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    On one hand I can certainly understand and appreciate the importance of the free press, but on the other hand, stuff like this making major news is scary. Never know when the wrong yahoo with a hunting rifle and an agenda will realize how much damage can be done with a really low level of sophistication.
    Well, it seems that it has been a discussion among certain groups for some time and it is only we normal folks who have been less aware...as to yahoos, there could be random ones but that isn't quite as scary as the ones who collectively have been discussing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hwest-attacks?
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Well, it seems that it has been a discussion among certain groups for some time and it is only we normal folks who have been less aware...as to yahoos, there could be random ones but that isn't quite as scary as the ones who collectively have been discussing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hwest-attacks?
    Yeah, these guys stopped being yahoos a while ago. I don't know when the transition occurs from guys with guns to paramilitary organization, but I'd say there are some groups past that point.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-10-2022 at 10:49 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I live in a desert housing development which is mostly 55+, but it's not a requirement. These are older folks, at least as old as me, that are calling for our POA (like an HOA) to put on a rally challenging the 2022 Governor and Senatorial results. I already sent a precisely worded email to the POA board telling them that it would be a poor decision for a non-profit to sponsor such a thing. I'm not sure what age group would form a militia, certainly not the folks in my neighborhood, but they still echo sentiments you hear from fringe groups. When I walk my neighborhood, I can't go to more than 2 or 3 houses without seeing an FJB flag flying.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just tell them when the grand plan is finally implemented, they are making it incredibly easy for the firing squads to find.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast