Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Game: Ohio State vs Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fl-draft-money

Off topic (a bit), but I just came across this. Dunno how accurate the $25 million figure is, but even if it’s just a few million, wow. It’s long past time to get universities out of the professional sports business, imo.

Btw, that Oberlin game is amusing. Of course, Toledo beat Michigan in Ann Arbor in 2008.
    I think getting rid of flesh dealers like Mel Kiper would be a good first step.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not sure I would be paying attention to the playoff if the Huskies weren’t in it. The committee’s decision was disappointing and dishonest and demonstrative of the super league system in action.

But on the brighter side … wow do the Huskies have a great coach, and some great players. Not nearly as deep in highly ranked recruits as the other three teams, but a lot of heart. And, of course, the undeniable advantage of the best school colors.

So, I’m looking forward to January 1, and whatever day the Duke’s Mayo Bowl happens. That bowl has way more fun with its sponsor than any other bowl.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, two games down and one to go and soon the athletes will go back to class, right? Split household here in a sense with Huskies and Wolverine 1/4 zips making up my wardrobe this week. The big questions…is the Big 10 poised to be the power conference of the future? Will Harbaugh avoid more sanctions and head to the NFL ala Pete Carroll with a mega contract? Will Ohio State ever recruit another QB and will James Franklin continue to script more excuses for losing to well you know, better teams?
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both of those games were fun to watch…and I’m sure glad that Florida state wasn’t in the mix…that game against GA was brutal.

I’m a UW alum, and I’d love to see them win…but it’s tough to see anyone beating Michigan.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, if you skip out on the bowl game your team gets in you don't get to be drafted to the pros.

And I bet that kid that dropped the punt there at the end had a pulse rate of about 7000 for a second or two.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    In my opinion, if you skip out on the bowl game your team gets in you don't get to be drafted to the pros.

And I bet that kid that dropped the punt there at the end had a pulse rate of about 7000 for a second or two.
    If you are an expected high 1st or 2nd rounder, it makes no sense to play in a bowl game before the draft. The NCAA has created too long a season out of greed. (Michigan and Washington will have played 15 games. )
    Next year with the new format, unless you are a top 4 team, you will play 16 games to get into the Championship.

With these so called new recruiting contracts, if the team wants to commit the player to playing in extra games- they can pay more since this is directly linked to the University earning more. The coach probably has a bonus written into his contract.

Christian McCaffrey skipped the Sun Bowl his final year. It was the right move. People called him a quitter, but most bowl games are strictly exhibitions in my opinion with no relevance outside of money for the university. The championship series is a little different so in my opinion the NCAA should pay the players extra for the games.

The last pick in the 2nd round in 2020 signed a 4 year $5.84mm $1.37mm signing bonus contract. Why would you risk that?

The real joke is you want an athlete to hold some moral code, when every other part of the game is run by a bean counting business. You are not an athlete, you are a professional working for monetary gain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to laugh at the hypocrisy of Kirby Smart (Georgia) calling for a policy on opt-outs, when he just signed a 10-year, $112.5M contract extension. His bonus for winning a semi-final game is $750K and $1M if Georgia wins the BCS championship…that’s $1.75M for two games. I guess that Smart would have a vested interest in making sure that his team has a full roster until the end of the entire season.

From a player’s perspective, Washington’s sophomore placekicker received a full ride after he kicked the winning field goal against Washington State to advance UW’s season. If I were DeBoer, I would have found a way to slip him a little something for getting me and the coaching staff into the BCS bonus pool…
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coaches will bolt for a bigger contract without blinking. The NFL doesn’t care if a player sits out but individual teams who are scouting a certain player will be happy if this player protects himself from injury. Winning or not winning a bowl game is 100% irrelevant to an NFL team, which is even more of a business than big time college football.

College football stopped being anything other than money a long, long time ago. The players are “unpaid” participants who will be dropped by the wayside in a heartbeat if they’re no longer productive. Yeah, I know, they’re maybe not salaried players like the NFL and some get money from NIL. I can’t blame anyone for loyalty to themselves over loyalty to some ‘tradition’ of football excellence. It’s a business and as such, the players need to look out for Nr. 1.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about it a little on the bike this morning I see the point. If a guy has assured himself a professional future there's no sense in risking it at a point where sitting out comes with no repercussions. I do kind of feel bad for the remainder of the squad left behind to play and try not to screw up their own professional prospects. It's got to suck having to endure the other team scoring twenty points to your one.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My cousin's son was a top recruit in high school. He had a full ride football scholarship lined up and opted out of a post season all-star game. One of his top receivers, Torii Hunter Jr, planned to play but broke his femur in an all star team practice. He was a better baseball player, but ended up playing football at Notre Dame. Davis, my cousin's son, played for three years at Texas Tech including a bowl win his freshman year. During his three years, he broke bones in his ankle, tore his non-throwing side labrum, and broke some ribs. He had surgery to fix his ankle and shoulder. He played at Berkeley for his fourth year after graduating from Texas Tech in three years. He completed his Masters in Public Health while playing at UC, but he is a prime example of what can happen that can affect draft standings. He went in the third round and spent several seasons playing for New York teams (Bills, Jets, Giants). He retired last year and spent this season trying to fix Russell Wilson.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Thinking about it a little on the bike this morning I see the point. If a guy has assured himself a professional future there's no sense in risking it at a point where sitting out comes with no repercussions. I do kind of feel bad for the remainder of the squad left behind to play and try not to screw up their own professional prospects. It's got to suck having to endure the other team scoring twenty points to your one.
    I'd add, "or if a guy doesn't see enough value in return for his effort ..." This year confirmed that Florida State can turn in the best performance possible and their value to the business is still less than certain SEC teams. They don't have an equal chance at valuable playoff exposure, but they can accept less for the same effort. So, all of the opt outs from the Orange Bowl were business decisions. The CFP made their offer and most of Florida State's best players rejected it.
    Last edited by 72gmc; 01-03-2024 at 02:58 PM.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every football player with $$talent$$ should get out of college as soon as possible.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Huskie daughter at work, trash talking her little Wolverine brother.

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m a bit of a big sassy mustelid fan. I own The Wolverine Way and my kids got me a wolverine stuffed animal years ago, so I’m not inclined to talk down the namesake critter. I’m just glad these two teams with so much history are in the final. I do have good memories of being in the Rose Bowl, on something less than 2 hours of sleep, watching the Huskies clobber that bunch to go 12-0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Huskies aren't wolves. They are just stray dogs. . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping the Huskies can pull off the win, but they (and most Pac12 teams) seem like they're always in 5th gear, which is fun to watch, but maybe ill-equipped to gut out an uphill win against a tough defense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    My Huskie daughter at work, trash talking her little Wolverine brother.

Your daughter is smart. My money is with her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged