User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abundance of information = improved intelligence?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Abundance of information = improved intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I would disagree with the order. Not to minimize cops on the beat and a strong regulatory environment it starts with good internal controls. Even with the laws we have, the company broke some . This will be prosecuted.

On a side note, we had our Minsky moment with Crypto
    Yeah, sure, the lack of internal control, at least the legal sort, was nothing short of spectacular. I'm not sure if I would characterise the board as cops. The corporate governance, including the board, is a framework for self-regulation.

I wouldn't be surprised if some LPs sue their GPs for negligence or worse. I suspect that this story may have a long tail.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Yeah, sure, the lack of internal control, at least the legal sort, was nothing short of spectacular. I'm not sure if I would characterise the board as cops. The corporate governance, including the board, is a framework for self-regulation.

I wouldn't be surprised if some LPs sue their GPs for negligence or worse. I suspect that this story may have a long tail.
    never said the board of directors served as "cops". You've mis-read/mis-interpreted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never said the board of directors served as "cops". You've mis-read/mis-interpreted
    Fair enough.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably the best thing you will read on the subject of FTX and it is CME testimony in front of House Ag Committee on the problems with the FTX Clearing House model. (LedgerX)

It is very concise and to the point.
    https://www.cmegroup.com/content/dam...-committee.pdf

This is nitroglycerin.

https://ledgerx.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    This is probably the best thing you will read on the subject of FTX and it is CME testimony in front of House Ag Committee on the problems with the FTX Clearing House model. (LedgerX)

This is nitroglycerin.

this is not a new comment by me, but the wrong committee is handling this. agriculture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

house agricultural hearing on crypto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://news.bitcoin.com/cme-groups-...-met-in-march/

Why would I deploy a model that’s going to introduce risk to the system? Of course I’m not going to deploy your model.

Duffy then said that SBF turned him down flat out and the CME Group CEO told the former FTX CEO: “You know what? You’re a fraud. You’re an absolute fraud. You are supposedly worth $26 billion and you’re an altruist. If you are an altruist at $26 billion, how come there’s not a $10 billion donation going to someone right at this moment in time?”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is nitroglycerin.

Hysterical.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity, what were you disagreeing with when you brought up cops?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Out of curiosity, what were you disagreeing with when you brought up cops?
    I never said the board of directors serves the role of cops, they serve the role of adult supervision, the regulators are the cops

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said the board of directors serves the role of cops, they serve the role of adult supervision, the regulators are the cops
    I know you didn't say that the board = cops. You said that already. I'm referring to your preceding post when you disagreed with the order, which is when you brought up cops. I didn't mentioned cops at all. Looking back, I'm not clear on what order you had in mind, or thought I had in mind. If you were referring to my mention of external oversight, then I didn't mean regulators but a board consisting of non-executives, most of whom representing investors. What did you have in mind?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

house agricultural hearing on crypto
    I don't think so. When you look at the history of the CME, it was founded in 1848. It has been instrumental in allowing producers/consumers to offset risk for product- whether it wheat, corn, soy, edible oils, live cattle, lean hogs. I grew up in farm country in Minnesota and AM radio always had a finance report from the board with ag prices.

The CME Span system used for margining is state of the art globally.

https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/agr....html#overview

The thing crypto forgets is the underlying has no real valuation? Why is it worth anything?

With Commodities, equities, fixed income, other deriviatives on these underlyings, it makes some sense pricing. I don't see a valuation model for any crypto that makes any sense. It's just ends up being a mania and liquidity game.

(On a side note, the reason Hillary Clinton is one of the greatest futures traders ever, is her broker refco, was also the broker for Tyson)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so. When you look at the history of the CME, it was founded in 1848. It has been instrumental in allowing producers/consumers to offset risk for product- whether it wheat, corn, soy, edible oils, live cattle, lean hogs. I grew up in farm country in Minnesota and AM radio always had a finance report from the board with ag prices.

The thing crypto forgets is the underlying has no real valuation? Why is it worth anything?

With Commodities, equities, fixed income, other deriviatives on these underlyings, it makes some sense pricing. I don't see a valuation model for any crypto that makes any sense. It's just ends up being a mania and liquidity game.
    with central bank issued currency you at least know you taxes are paid in the currency and the government pays salaries and contracts in the currency. that gives it a certain value and viability

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(On a side note, the reason Hillary Clinton is one of the greatest futures traders ever, is her broker refco, was also the broker for Tyson)
    Yeah, spot on with regards to the history of the commodities market.

I think the fundamental challenge is not so much that cryptos do not have "real valuation" as the fact that there isn't a transparent, trustworthy, and regulated spot market for it that gives them "real valuation". Gold has no inherent value beyond industrial applications, but the transparent, regulated spot market, which views gold as a store of value, gives it a valuation. No proper spot market, no derivatives market.

Of course, unless it's a stablecoin, there is no asset backing it up, which provokes a certain rational and emotional reaction, and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. (And I don't get the point of stablecoins.) But that's just me.

Anyway, I suppose there is the question about how / if a trustworthy, regulated market will list an asset like crypto. That's beyond my pay grade.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12