User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: alternative tubing supply Canada??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default alternative tubing supply Canada??

Hi every one I am sure this is covered somewhere but was wondering is there alternative plan gage 4130 supplier's out there in Canada??

Buying a 2 foot length of 1 1/4 tube is 65$ from aircraft spruce and I can get a butted tube similar length from BFS for 22$ what am I missing ?? the quality of the I think German made steel from ACS superior to the butted 1.2x .9 x 1.2 bmx tube from BFS which might be made in Asia but not sure ??
    or is there a buying club I need to join?? looking to get my utility geter done steel but seems kind of Gucci get it done. prices are up on everything I know..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: alternative tubing supply Canada??

You are not missing anything. Aircraft Spruce tubing is expensive, folks make airplanes out of their tubing. It is not a big market. Bicycle tubes on the other hand are a huge market.
    You are going to burn a lot of tubes starting out, go with the cheapest option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might try Wicks Aircraft in Illinois. Probably still expensive based on shipping, etc but worth a gander.

Does McMaster-Carr or Grainger exist in Canada? I've picked up stuff from them in a pinch and, if there's a location near you for will call, you won't get slaughtered by the S+H.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@false_aesthetic - Acklands is non-existent in our part of the Canadian woods (nearest Acklands-Grainger outlet is probably ~3.5hrs away). The Canadian version's online store is awful as well, with many shipping restrictions. McMaster is awesome if you can get them to ship to you (I've heardof issues shipping to Canadian customers), but the shipping is expensive across the border no matter which way you look at it.

@aplomb - you're close enough to Northport, WA. Just get US stuff shipped here and go pick it up.
    https://www.facebook.com/canadianparcels/
    I go pick up stuff from the Columbia Exchange every few months or so, and they've been a pleasure to deal with.

Maybe get a gang together with 6 Mile Bikes and do group buys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure it's what you need but C&L Cycle in Montreal sells a few plain gauge chromo tubing from Taiwan. They're rather thick gauge so more for handlebars and racks but naybe it can suit your needs.
    Vincent Savary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do get things shipped to a place in Northport WA already. Parcels plus.. I currently have shipment from bike fab supply ready for me. While doing my research I got ahold of Plymouth tube and I could get a great deal but I would need to order 10000 feet ! But with the border now open again shipping near by is the cost cutting option as fed ex is ruthless and import fees are ridiculous if left up to them. I will see what McMaster Has to offer, they do have alot of doodads I have wanted in the past for assorted gadgets I wanted to build. I do know 6imilebikes it's worth a chat also.