Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flat screen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default flat screen

Just wondering if i'm the last person still using his plasma TV. I've decided i'll get an OLED when it fails but it just keeps going and I can't detect any degradation -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: flat screen

My folks were visiting this weekend and we got to talking about TVs. We have a Samsung DLP from 2005 that won’t die. It’s not our primary TV these days but still that’s impressive. I replaced the color wheel ($20 part and 20 mins work) around 2012 and nothing since. Samsung has earned our loyalty and we have two more in the house with zero problems. I’d say pick your size and price point and buy without hesitation, if you’re in the market for a new one.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    My folks were visiting this weekend and we got to talking about TVs. We have a Samsung DLP from 2005 that won’t die. It’s not our primary TV these days but still that’s impressive. I replaced the color wheel ($20 part and 20 mins work) around 2012 and nothing since. Samsung has earned our loyalty and we have two more in the house with zero problems. I’d say pick your size and price point and buy without hesitation, if you’re in the market for a new one.
    My bedroom TV is a Samsung LED, not as old as the plasma but up there none the less. Still going strong as well. I don't use it nearly as often as the living room unit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a luddite and we only have 1 TV.

It was a Sony 27" tube TV until 2006 when it finally died.

We are still using the 40" Sony LCD we bought in 2006.
    We have high-def cable, streaming services, and a DVD player that upscales to 720p.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Just wondering if i'm the last person still using his plasma TV. I've decided i'll get an OLED when it fails but it just keeps going and I can't detect any degradation -Mike G
    Hey Mike - why was this in the Handmade Gallery? Are you planning on building this from scratch? If so, let me know. Otherwise you now have the record for most threads begun in the wrong category.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-07-2022 at 09:34 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Hey Mike - why was this in the Handmade Gallery? Are you planning on building this from scratch? If so, let me know. Otherwise you now have the record for most threads begun in the wrong category.
    Probably trying to tap the artisanal handmade OLED tv market. Small but growing niche of TV fabricators who work in different materials. NAHMTVS is an untapped thing.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Probably trying to tap the artisanal handmade OLED tv market. Small but growing niche of TV fabricators who work in different materials. NAHMTVS is an untapped thing.
    You kids and your crafts.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50" Panasonic plasma still in use provides excellent heat source in the colder months.

We do have an LED television in the bedroom, only because one of my tech savvy siblings upgraded and gave it to us.

That one is rarely used, though.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sorry, i posted in the wrong section. i'll stop posting as i'm too incompetent to use the board

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sorry, i posted in the wrong section. i'll stop posting as i'm too incompetent to use the board
    Exile not required.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a 50" Vizio that I bought in 2014. It has moved cross country once and locally twice. Works like a champ with no issues at all. I've got a nice Sony soundbar, and we stream TV so almost everything I watch is theater quality. I have a 27" 4K Samsung monitor in my office that I use with Zwift. I go outside a lot.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have a >10-year-old 50" Panasonic plasma display as my main (only) television in the New York residence. tbh I think it looks like shit -- its black levels are more like "beef stew levels" -- but until it stops working there are no plans to replace/update.

In AZ we have a 55" Samsung LED that's gotta be ~5 years old. Again, no plans to update until it dies...but when we do update that display it probably won't be to an OLED: To much ambient daylight in the Living Room, so will probably stick w/ conventional LED for this space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I still have a >10-year-old 50" Panasonic plasma display as my main (only) television in the New York residence. tbh I think it looks like shit -- its black levels are more like "beef stew levels" -- but until it stops working there are no plans to replace/update.

In AZ we have a 55" Samsung LED that's gotta be ~5 years old. Again, no plans to update until it dies...but when we do update that display it probably won't be to an OLED: To much ambient daylight in the Living Room, so will probably stick w/ conventional LED for this space.
    It will definitely be OLED for me too. They've gotten the size to 46 inches. I still think the 42 inch plasma I have is the perfect size. I can hope, right? I"m with you though, I don't like throwing things out before they break. Although I did throw out a perfectly good CRT 35 inch when I moved into my current place because I wanted a more streamlined look and go HD. My 42 inch plasma is a 2002-2003 model. The blacks seem pretty black to me. Maybe I'm used to it :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will definitely be OLED for me too.
    I said it probably won't be an OLED for me.

They've gotten the size to 46 inches. I still think the 42 inch plasma I have is the perfect size. I can hope, right?
    Your wish already came true: Sony XR42A90K is a 42 inch OLED display. https://electronics.sony.com/tv-vide...tvs/p/xr42a90k

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I am gobsmacked that we could find a 17y lifetime impressive when there are still 45-50y old tube TVs around.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I am gobsmacked that we could find a 17y lifetime impressive when there are still 45-50y old tube TVs around.
    Dude, if you have a tube TV, we need a B&W photo printed with an enlarger from film developed in your bathroom with all the light leaks taped shut or it didn't happen.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-07-2022 at 08:39 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd probably like the option of a modern flat screen that turned off in the old shrinking-spot-of-light-in-the-middle way ...
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, if you have a tube TV, we need a B&W photo printed with an enlarger from film developed in your bathroom with all the light leaks taped shut or it didn't happen.
    I don't have one in my appartment but my parents still use their old hitachi tube tv in their bedroom. They bought it the same year my eldest brother was born, in 1977.

My brother and I also have a much younger one from the 90's that we use to play the old Sega megadrive console with our nephews. Some visual effects at the time relied on the particularities of the tube TVs and don't render well with an LCD.

Sorry can't take a picture of them, I am 10000 km from there right now.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-08-2022 at 02:09 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never would have happened if you were using a new 8k monitor to render all of the Vsalon glory.

We only have 1 TV and it is a huge OLED but I still miss 3D on my old plasma.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny story - as recently as only about a decade or 12 years ago when I was living part time in Virginia Beach, the room I was renting at my buddy’s house had a 1980s console TV. You know, the ones with the huge speakers on each side and a 25 or so inch tube TV in the middle. It wasn’t just a TV, it was a piece of furniture. Shockingly, it not only all worked, the experience was great. The TV picture was surprisingly good and the sound quality was incredible, for a TV. We’re not making TV great again, but honestly, I was surprised by how good that was for the short time it lasted.
    La Cheeserie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast