Thread: flat screen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: flat screen

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Funny story - as recently as only about a decade or 12 years ago when I was living part time in Virginia Beach, the room I was renting at my buddy’s house had a 1980s console TV. You know, the ones with the huge speakers on each side and a 25 or so inch tube TV in the middle. It wasn’t just a TV, it was a piece of furniture. Shockingly, it not only all worked, the experience was great. The TV picture was surprisingly good and the sound quality was incredible, for a TV. We’re not making TV great again, but honestly, I was surprised by how good that was for the short time it lasted.
    I"m not one of those that says anything new beats something old, but there's no comparing the experience on my HD Panasonic plasma and the 35 inch Panasonic CRT it replaced. I remember the first time I watched Hockey on an HD channel and remarking at the clarity and being able to see the puck stand out so vibrantly on every shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I"m not one of those that says anything new beats something old, but there's no comparing the experience on my HD Panasonic plasma and the 35 inch Panasonic CRT it replaced. I remember the first time I watched Hockey on an HD channel and remarking at the clarity and being able to see the puck stand out so vibrantly on every shot.
    No question about it. Newer is generally better with TVs. It was just my experience with this Zenith console TV that I was surprised at how decent it was for the era, by which time we were well within high definition flat screens and CRTs were essentially nonexistent anymore. I remember watching a Monday Night Football game on it thinking to myself that it was totally watchable and I didn't need more. Part of this experience was the excellent sound coming from the speakers. I know the networks try hard to sound engineer games to get a good balance of the announcers and the crowd noise and sounds of the game. A good sound system massively enhances the viewing experience.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    No question about it. Newer is generally better with TVs. It was just my experience with this Zenith console TV that I was surprised at how decent it was for the era, by which time we were well within high definition flat screens and CRTs were essentially nonexistent anymore. I remember watching a Monday Night Football game on it thinking to myself that it was totally watchable and I didn't need more. Part of this experience was the excellent sound coming from the speakers. I know the networks try hard to sound engineer games to get a good balance of the announcers and the crowd noise and sounds of the game. A good sound system massively enhances the viewing experience.
    One of the reasons I have been keeping my plasma is i generally view LED TV's as a step backward, but OLED is generally viewed on parity with plasma, plus the prices of these units and the size they come in have dropped. Finally seeing them in the 42 inch size which is my sweet spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mention the old CRTs with the idea they would be superior. What I meant to say is as customers we shouldn't lower the bar in term of reliability and lifetime expectancies on the newer stuff.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I still have a >10-year-old 50" Panasonic plasma display as my main (only) television in the New York residence. tbh I think it looks like shit -- its black levels are more like "beef stew levels" -- but until it stops working there are no plans to replace/update.

In AZ we have a 55" Samsung LED that's gotta be ~5 years old. Again, no plans to update until it dies...but when we do update that display it probably won't be to an OLED: To much ambient daylight in the Living Room, so will probably stick w/ conventional LED for this space.
    Ugh, Kari Lake. It's too close :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12