User Tag List

Thread: Stupid PayPal mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stupid PayPal mistake

I made a stupid error, and gave someone one of my e-mail addresses to make a PP payment for a very small amount of $ ($10). Unfortunately, it is not the address associated with my PP account. Instead of telling the guy "I don't know what you're talking about, this address is not a valid PP account address," PP sent an e-mail to the address (me) saying "Hey, you have some money waiting for you. Create an account so you can get the money." (This seems like a bad way to handle the situation - what if the payment had been for a lot of money and the e-mail address someone else's - would they have just given it away to some random stranger?)

Has this ever happened to you, and how did you deal with it? I don't want to bother the sender by asking him to send "another" $10 to my actual PP address, nor do I want to create another PP account. I tried to contact PP, but it seems like that's not a very easy thing to do.

I'm thinking that I may just let the money go uncollected, and see if PP sends it back to the sender. If they do, I can then tell him to send it to my actual PP account address.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stupid PayPal mistake

Pretty sure you can add an additional email address to an existing account. So add this one-time address to your existing account, receive the money and then kill that address when the transaction is done and dusted.

Ah yes, here it is.

https://www.paypal.com/bs/smarthelp/...ccount-faq1686
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jorn - when I searched for a solution I guess I wasn't using the right terms.

I'll try that, and if it works I'll then remove the "new" address.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI, if a payment is sent to a non-responding e-mail address, it reverts back to the sender in a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To close the loop on this, as Jorn pointed out, it's a relatively simple process to add a second e-mail address (without creating a second PP account), verify that you are indeed the owner of that address, pick up the money sent to the "incorrect" address, then remove the address from PP.

Bottom line, it's a relatively simple recovery from the error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    To close the loop on this, as Jorn pointed out, it's a relatively simple process to add a second e-mail address (without creating a second PP account), verify that you are indeed the owner of that address, pick up the money sent to the "incorrect" address, then remove the address from PP.

Bottom line, it's a relatively simple recovery from the error.
    Why remove the second email address? Does it not come in handy for other purposes like account recovery, or no? Just curious. (I think PayPal is a PITA, and NB, if you are buying something that's offered in a foreign currency, their exchange rate is one of the, if not the, worst in the market.)

PS, glad you had it sorted.
    Chikashi Miyamoto