Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musk / Moderation / Algos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Musk / Moderation / Algos

If the plans that have leaked today are any indication, we're going to watch someone light $44 bln on fire with lightning speed.

$20 blue check mark verification is not going to fill a $13 bln debt hole, nor make celebs, politicos and the like stick around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Others have probably already seen this, but here's a quick analysis of the numbers from the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/30/t...tter-debt.html

Perhaps most importantly, Twitter is very unlikely to be able to pay its bills without help.

Last year, Twitter’s interest expense was about $50 million. With the new debt taken on in the deal, that will now balloon to about $1 billion a year. Yet the company’s operations last year generated about $630 million in cash flow to meet its financial obligations.

That means that Twitter is generating less money per year than what it owes its lenders. The company also does not appear to have a lot of extra cash on hand. While it had about $6 billion in cash before Mr. Musk’s buyout, a large portion of that probably went into the cost of closing the acquisition.
    I don't understand how this is a viable business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I don't understand how this is a viable business.
    There is a tiny possibility that it was purchased for reasons other than to make a profit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    There is a tiny possibility that it was purchased for reasons other than to make a profit.
    Since Musk is often compared to Henry Ford, his purchase of Twitter is like Ford's publication of the Dearborn Independent.
    That did not end well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    $20 blue check mark verification
    Yeah, that had me chortling. The bigger beneficiary of such a verification system is the platform, not the verified users.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“It’s becoming apparent that in order to save Twitter, Elon’s going to have to ban himself”.

Yup.
    Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you did there.

My worst fears about this are << (content deleted by the moderators due to less than sufficient boot licking).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a an account on a mastodon instance and what I am currently seeing is a huge influx of new accounts on the fediverse coming from people fleeing twitter.

Will see how it evolves but I do think that twitter is already dead. It just doesn't know yet. Facebook is geriatry, snapchat was a soufflé au fromage that will likely go the way of myspace very soon. That leaves us with instagram and tiktok competing in the same area. I refuse to use tiktok and I am about to delete my instagram account as I see logging to it less and less (I am using the browser in incognito mode instead of the data sucking app). Whenever someone send me a link of facebook/twitter/tiktok/instagram on instant messaging I will now tell my contacts to send me the screenshot or the video directly or I won't bother.

I wish people would stop using whatsapp and other centralized messaging apps. This is the hardest to leave.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-01-2022 at 09:37 AM. Reason: numerous typos
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not everything makes sense Thomas. Suppose E.M. et. al. decide it is more prosperous to bankroll the bleedin' thing until their objective(s) are met than sell it for .10c on the dollar?

When money does not matter it does not matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the plans that have leaked today are any indication, we're going to watch someone light $44 bln on fire with lightning speed.

$20 blue check mark verification is not going to fill a $13 bln debt hole, nor make celebs, politicos and the like stick around.
    You're probably right, but don't underestimate the number of blue checkers whose entire ego and identity is wrapped up in their twitter account.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I have a an account on a mastodon instance and what I am currently seeing is a huge influx of new accounts on the fediverse coming from people fleeing twitter.

Will see how it evolves but I do think that twitter is already dead. It just doesn't know yet. Facebook is geriatry, snapchat was a soufflé au fromage that will likely go the way of myspace very soon. That leaves us with instagram and tiktok competing in the same area. I refuse to use tiktok and I am about to delete my instagram account as I see logging to it less and less (I am using the browser in incognito mode instead of the data sucking app). Whenever someone send me a link of facebook/twitter/tiktok/instagram on instant messaging I will now tell my contacts to send me the screenshot or the video directly or I won't bother.

I wish people would stop using whatsapp and other centralized messaging apps. This is the hardest to leave.
    Hey Thomas - what do you use for messaging?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Five years ago, my then-18-year-old son told me that Facebook was for old people. He used Instagram for messaging, and I never set up my account. Never on Twitter either. I'm on FB, but most of my posts are in small, "private" groups. I'm under no illusion that the groups are private. As a historian, I see FB posts that are shared by friends that are full of false information. What are the motivations for posting false information on pages that appear to be official other than to cause division? I read everything with skepticism because of my background, but folks that see a post that aligns with their beliefs, even though false, feel the need to share it. Who benefits from this?
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe the number of companies that use some product like What'sApp for their intra-firm messaging. Or allow people to install social media on their company phones. Makes no sense to me.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate that, but I still didn't think the biggest banks in the world were in the business of lending billions to other businesses that are, on their own terms, insolvent. I realize EM's personal wealth means he plays by different rules, but there seems to be a nonzero chance that the lenders get hung out to dry if all the Tesla stock backing the deal continues to crater.

Anyway, how long is it going to take for a moderated Twitter alternative to emerge if/when Twitter becomes socially toxic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I appreciate that, but I still didn't think the biggest banks in the world were in the business of lending billions to other businesses that are, on their own terms, insolvent. I realize EM's personal wealth means he plays by different rules, but there seems to be a nonzero chance that the lenders get hung out to dry if all the Tesla stock backing the deal continues to crater.

Anyway, how long is it going to take for a moderated Twitter alternative to emerge if/when Twitter becomes socially toxic?
    I think the business of loans is not based on solvency just like the business of insurance is not based on insuring anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    You're probably right, but don't underestimate the number of blue checkers whose entire ego and identity is wrapped up in their twitter account.
    True, but even with existing blue check marks, I've seen estimates this'll only bring in tens of millions in revenue. The company needs hundreds of millions, if not billions, in new revenue streams.

And this risks alienating the very influencers and high profile public figures that make Twitter such a town square to begin with.

Never mind making it pay for play on the verification removes the entire cache of the verification itself. It's just a paid for check mark at that point.

I wonder what Tesla shareholders think about their CEO violating his fiduciary duty to them by pulling Tesla employees in to work at a private company for free on projects unrelated to Tesla's business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I still use a bit whatsapp due to network effect but I havr contacts on xmpp (formerly called jabber), matrix and deltachat. Deltachat use regular emails as backend and is the easiest to make people switch to. XMPP is an ietf standard and whatsapp used to be bog standard xmpp, as well a facebook messenger and google <whateveritwascalledatthetime) but they all decide to close their network to remove any interoperability possibility. Matrix is free (as in open source) but is not so decentralized as way too many people use the official matrix.org instance. It is more an alternative to discord than whatsapp.

The most interesting to me are briar and tox which are fully focused on privacy and targeting people who may be at risk: activists, journalists, etc. Problem is they are the hardest in term of adoption because their privacy/security focus is incompatible with an auto discovery of contacts or link to an universal identifier (phone number, pseudo, email address).
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what Tesla shareholders think about their CEO violating his fiduciary duty to them by pulling Tesla employees in to work at a private company for free on projects unrelated to Tesla's business.
    I am one of those shareholders and am not loving this whole situation. And anyone with a 401k with any shares in the S&P 500 is also a shareholder.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 11-01-2022 at 02:15 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Forgot to say that ultimately having more choice is a double edged sword. It makes it more difficult to do advocacy for alternatives and it is also annoying to not be able to have only one application.

There is actually an IETF working group to standardize instant messaging interoperability. Hoping it will end up with something concrete and adopted:
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/bof...eroperability/
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-01-2022 at 02:54 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast