User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northeast small town winter cabins?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Northeast small town winter cabins?

Hey folks, long time lurker - sadly, not enough of a contributor (maybe that'll be my New Year's resolution??).

Based on some of my favorite threads here, and where many of you are located, I figured I'd ask you all for suggestions on this.

Each year we rent a cabin to spend the week between Christmas and NYE in the North Carolina mountains (this year we're thinking 12/28-1/3). The past few year it's been Blue Ridge, GA. We like this area because it's mountainous, remote, but close (15-30 minutes) to 1-2 small Southern "downtowns" with cute shops, quaint restaurants, and a generally welcoming small town vibe.

The problem is you can't count on seeing snow in GA or NC in late December - as a matter of fact, we've struck out all three of the past years (one year there was a light dusting, but it was gone by noon).

I want to try a NE destination this year where we're almost guaranteed to see real snow. My kids are 3 and 6 years old and I really want them to experience it.

Here's where I need your help... having grown up in South Florida, the Carolinas are very familiar to me, but I'm utterly clueless about the Northeast. Here's what I'm looking for:

• No more than 3 hours from a major airport (2 hours is better, we've got little kids)
    • Very high probability of real, deep, snow
    • No more than 30 minutes to a nice downtown with food and shops
    • No more than 30 minutes to groceries
    • No more than 60 minutes to some kind of hill or mountain for some sledding or tubing for the kids
    • Remote, quiet, nice cabin (no resorts)

Is my list feasible? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For those familiar with the South, we've stayed outside of Blue Ridge, Helen, Asheville, and Boone in the past and all have been great. Asheville is much larger than what I'm looking for, but you get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Northeast small town winter cabins?

Quote Originally Posted by heybusti View Post
    Hey folks, long time lurker - sadly, not enough of a contributor (maybe that'll be my New Year's resolution??).

Based on some of my favorite threads here, and where many of you are located, I figured I'd ask you all for suggestions on this.

Each year we rent a cabin to spend the week between Christmas and NYE in the North Carolina mountains (this year we're thinking 12/28-1/3). The past few year it's been Blue Ridge, GA. We like this area because it's mountainous, remote, but close (15-30 minutes) to 1-2 small Southern "downtowns" with cute shops, quaint restaurants, and a generally welcoming small town vibe.

The problem is you can't count on seeing snow in GA or NC in late December - as a matter of fact, we've struck out all three of the past years (one year there was a light dusting, but it was gone by noon).

I want to try a NE destination this year where we're almost guaranteed to see real snow. My kids are 3 and 6 years old and I really want them to experience it.

Here's where I need your help... having grown up in South Florida, the Carolinas are very familiar to me, but I'm utterly clueless about the Northeast. Here's what I'm looking for:

• No more than 3 hours from a major airport (2 hours is better, we've got little kids)
    • Very high probability of real, deep, snow
    • No more than 30 minutes to a nice downtown with food and shops
    • No more than 30 minutes to groceries
    • No more than 60 minutes to some kind of hill or mountain for some sledding or tubing for the kids
    • Remote, quiet, nice cabin (no resorts)

Is my list feasible? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For those familiar with the South, we've stayed outside of Blue Ridge, Helen, Asheville, and Boone in the past and all have been great. Asheville is much larger than what I'm looking for, but you get the idea.
    Depending on whether you'd consider Albany International, Bradley International (Hartford), and Stewart International to be major, 2-2.5 hours should be doable to places like Hunter, NY and Killington, VT. At least ~ten years ago, the latter used to have quite a lot of snow accumulation by early January, but I'm not sure how things are today. The former should also work.

You can definitely get grocery nearby, but don't expect anything fancy.

One other thing to consider: if you want to go to a place experiencing a lot of snow, don't be surprised if it just happens to snow so much that you can't travel on the day you intend to leave. On the same token, you'd want to make sure whatever car you rent has winter tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google "Fat Sheep Farm". I can tell you though from long and bitter experience that snow is not a guarantee in central Vermont..
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Significant snow, at just about any point in the winter, used to be a guarantee here in (south) central New Hampshire, now it's usually bare ground in the winter months.
    Even the ski areas further north are having to make more and more of their own. Even Pittsburg (NH) - which borders Canada - has significantly less snow even compared to ten years ago - what used to be snow machine mecca in that general area has really struggled in the past few years.
    It's just not something that can be assumed anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was thinking out of the box, I'd fly to Minneapolis, then drive to Duluth and go on the north shore some place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My limited experience is that the northeast gets snow after Dec. 31. Maybe an isolated storm here or there before then, usually in November, but not predictable snow. And these days, I think we are not too far from the chances of a snowless winter in some areas like ours (Hillsdale NY, which is between Hudson NY and Great Barrington MA.) We'll see.

But to increase your chances for some snow, find some elevation. I know there are some nice AirBnB's uphill from me in Mt. Washington MA. Nice area, plenty of places to hike, nice little community, with Pittsfield, Stockbridge, Housatonic, and Great Barrington downhill in one direction and Millerton, Hillsdale, Copake, Germantown, and Hudson down in other direction. You are right next door to a classic family ski resort in Catamount, so if they have actual snow, then Mt. Washington has snow. As far as airports, NYC and its airports is about 2-3 hours give or take and Albany is one hour.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    If I was thinking out of the box, I'd fly to Minneapolis, then drive to Duluth and go on the north shore some place.
    Probably the best option I can think of for a hub airport with real snow over Christmas within three hours.

Get an AirBnB somewhere between Two Harbors and Grand Marais, or just stay at Lutsen Resort (the one down on the lake) or Bluefin Bay. Both are very good. Grand Marais probably has the most touristy feel of any of the towns, but they're all at least a little touristy. There's downhill skiing and sledding at Lutsen Mountain, and both cross country skiing and fat biking on the Sugarbush system.

You could also just stay in Minneapolis (we usually have good snow by Christmas) and ski/skate/fat bike all you want, with options for long day trips to Hayward (the Birkie ski trail system) and Duluth (see the lake, ski at Snowflake and Korki). There's a skiing thread where I've posted quite a few photos of skiing in Minneapolis to give you a sense of the conditions, and you can find current reports at skinnyski.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fantastic! Thank you guys. Going to research these tonight and likely revert with additional questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be totally crazy…ok maybe pretty close because the airfare can get pricy. Thinking my other place because of your desire for snow. I will grant you that there are some years Christmas week has been a bit of a melt after early December snow, but some of the Laurentian and other mountain places around Montreal will get you snow, easy to get to nice food. And while the airfare is pricy, the exchange rate is crazy US tilted so you can get a lot for the Canadian dollar. Although you would need passports.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Americans need passports to enter Canada.
    Montreal was another option. I just thought Minneapolis to North Shore would be easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other thing is not only will the kids see snow, but they will see a place that’s a bit of a different world from the language to the food to the little towns.

And, @verical_doug may be right although there is this (I think that a bit changed due to Covid and since the American Customs Agents who are located inside Canadian Customs offices are demanding that they be allowed to wear their guns inside the Canadian government offices on Canadian land which is turning into a bit of an international incident)….

“Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry proof of citizenship and identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 16 only need proof of U.S. citizenship.May 17, 2022

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...da.html”

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    The other thing is not only will the kids see snow, but they will see a place that’s a bit of a different world from the language to the food to the little towns.

And, @verical_doug may be right although there is this (I think that a bit changed due to Covid and since the American Customs Agents who are located inside Canadian Customs offices are demanding that they be allowed to wear their guns inside the Canadian government offices on Canadian land which is turning into a bit of an international incident)….

“Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry proof of citizenship and identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. Children under 16 only need proof of U.S. citizenship.May 17, 2022

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...s/Canada.html”
    As an aside, how viable would you say it is to drive between Montreal and Quebec City during the Christmas season?

It's something we'd love to do (fly into Montreal and spend a few days there and few days in Quebec City), but the amount of snow on the highway is a bit daunting (though I think winter tires are de rigueur in the Province)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To throw another option in - Fly into Portland, ME and head towards Bethel, ME which is about 90 minutes north west of Portland.
    The closest ski resort to Bethel is Sunday River which is about 15-20 drive from Bethel. Bethel is a small town and has the winter postcard look to it when it snows.

As others have stated, predictable snow is getting more challenging across these areas. When I first lived in that area in the 80s, there would be plenty of snow by December. January through the end of February/March would dump another 10-12 feet of the white stuff. Now, it is a crap shoot when it comes to snow amounts and timing. The snow seems to be coming later in the winter.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it can be very cold in these areas being mentioned... a bit of a side effect of NE winters and snow :)
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    As an aside, how viable would you say it is to drive between Montreal and Quebec City during the Christmas season?

It's something we'd love to do (fly into Montreal and spend a few days there and few days in Quebec City), but the amount of snow on the highway is a bit daunting (though I think winter tires are de rigueur in the Province)?
    If you live there, winter tires are required from November 15…but if you are visiting with a car from out of province you don’t HAVE to have them but it is a good idea.

That said, the roads are plowed very well and pretty quickly. I imagine it is like anywhere else where it is a common thing to have snow (or any other regular weather event) that they just know how to deal with it as a matter of course.

Quebec…the best. To the OP, I might even revise and say around Quebec. Reason is that Quebec is truly like going to another world whereas Montreal is a very “worldly” city with lots of English speaking and could be any city (except the food is definitely French Quebec). Although if you are in the Laurentians or somewhere like around Le Massif, you will get the full Quebecois experience and snow and beautiful sights.

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    If you live there, winter tires are required from November 15…but if you are visiting with a car from out of province you don’t HAVE to have them but it is a good idea.

That said, the roads are plowed very well and pretty quickly. I imagine it is like anywhere else where it is a common thing to have snow (or any other regular weather event) that they just know how to deal with it as a matter of course.

Quebec…the best. To the OP, I might even revise and say around Quebec. Reason is that Quebec is truly like going to another world whereas Montreal is a very “worldly” city with lots of English speaking and could be any city (except the food is definitely French Quebec). Although if you are in the Laurentians or somewhere like around Le Massif, you will get the full Quebecois experience and snow and beautiful sights.
    We did the drive from Montreal to Quebec (City) a few years ago in January. Roads were good, and the drive was 100% worth it. Only regret was not taking the train, which I hear is a very nice experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I don't think Americans need passports to enter Canada.
    Montreal was another option. .
    Passport or passport ID card. I just drove to Montreal a few weeks ago for work, and combined some cycling in NY and Vermont as part of the trip.

Boy howdy, I dont know if i look "suspicious" or it was just the fact that I was travelling alone, but those customs boys tore my truck apart going through the checkpoint. it was aggressive, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Passport or passport ID card. I just drove to Montreal a few weeks ago for work, and combined some cycling in NY and Vermont as part of the trip.

Boy howdy, I dont know if i look "suspicious" or it was just the fact that I was travelling alone, but those customs boys tore my truck apart going through the checkpoint. it was aggressive, for sure.
    Canada change entry requirements for Mexicans and Romanians in November 2016, and since then there has been an increase of smuggling of all kinds of things into the US along the Northern Border.
    A single guy in a truck entering the US? You have a suspicious mustache , right? It's always the mustache.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A slopeside condo with snowmaking is the only way your kids' are going to see snow anywhere on the Eastcoast with any degree of reliability that early in the season, even in Maine, QC or the Maritimes.

Do they still believe in Santa? Let them down easy on the White Christmas fantasies! There are some nice enough "smaller" rentals up on top of Beech Mtn, you can at least go show them some manmade snow and go ice skating in the base area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duluth, MN has an international airport, obviously you’ll need a connecting flight. There are two ski resorts in and near Duluth.

https://mdlresort.com/

This is a small resort with onsite lodging. Low key spot.

https://www.spiritmt.com/

This is the city owned ski resort. Larger resort and they’ve had some recent financial difficulties, but looks like they’ll be open this year.

Lots of family friendly activities in and around Duluth, great food options and a great gateway to the North Shore of Lake Superior. Lutsen Resort (best ski option in Minnesota
    )and Grand Marais are beautiful places too.

It would be exceedingly rare there is not snow over those dates.

PM me if you end up going and have questions. My wife and I are UMD and St. Scholastica graduates. We’re currently working on buying a lot in town…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With my umpteenth post in this thread, I am beginning to sound like the Quebec tourism office so I apologize.

And Mickey @suspectdevice is right that weather is changing and non-guaranteed.

And as they say in the financial services sector, past performance is no guarantee of future results but I will leave these here....

12-21-15

12-23-16

12-23-17

Couldn’t find a photo that was NOT at the ski slopes which also has manmade snow for December 2018.

1-9-19

11-10-19

12-23-20

12-30-21

-Jon Mandel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast