User Tag List

Thread: The message here speaks volumes to me -

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The message here speaks volumes to me -

A pal linked me. I've never heard of Joey B. but his message is important (to me) and I'd like to share it with the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The message here speaks volumes to me -

Not sure what I think of this. It borders dangerously on blaming homeless people for their lack of decorum or something and romanticizing the Mad Men era. Yeah people wore suits on planes but they also smoked on them. Meanwhile the guy talking is wearing a Beavis and Butthead t-shirt and coach's jacket.

And I'd rather drive a not cool Prius than any unreliable "stylish" deathbox from the 60's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by endo shi View Post
    Not sure what I think of this. It borders dangerously on blaming homeless people for their lack of decorum or something and romanticizing the Mad Men era. Yeah people wore suits on planes but they also smoked on them. Meanwhile the guy talking is wearing a Beavis and Butthead t-shirt and coach's jacket.

And I'd rather drive a not cool Prius than any unreliable "stylish" deathbox from the 60's.
    I didn’t pick up on any blaming the homeless for their plight.
    I do think the man was expressing a need/desire for humanity to pay more attention.
    These are my thoughts.
    I don’t need to be right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As a society, we can look back and see when people wanted finely crafted items surrounding them, but then the world shrank, and it was more than just their immediate surroundings. We always cared about the experience, but when offered a broader opportunity, we shifted more toward the experience and away from the object. Then the objects got cheap and disposable.

Unfortunately, we've dumbed it down to popular culture with the advent of social media. Before I retired several months ago, I was shocked by what people wore to job interviews. I didn't expect formal wear, but maybe start with clean clothes? How about long pants, just for that day? I was taught to dress one step above what I'd be expected to wear on the job. If the job was business casual, then interview in a suit. Somehow we've lost that.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    As a society, we can look back and see when people wanted finely crafted items surrounding them, but then the world shrank, and it was more than just their immediate surroundings. We always cared about the experience, but when offered a broader opportunity, we shifted more toward the experience and away from the object. Then the objects got cheap and disposable.

Unfortunately, we've dumbed it down to popular culture with the advent of social media. Before I retired several months ago, I was shocked by what people wore to job interviews. I didn't expect formal wear, but maybe start with clean clothes? How about long pants, just for that day? I was taught to dress one step above what I'd be expected to wear on the job. If the job was business casual, then interview in a suit. Somehow we've lost that.
    We've also gained a lot.
    We've certainly lost a lot too, paying attention to details among them.
    And I'm not focusing on consumer goods with my observation.
    I wasn't even a teenager when much of what's depicted in his examples were present day.
    But the focus on them resonates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I was taught to dress one step above what I'd be expected to wear on the job. If the job was business casual, then interview in a suit.
    The last time (as well as every time) I went on a job interview, I wore a suit. As I was leaving that interview the owner of the company says "That's a really nice suit. I'll never see it again."

...which was his way of telling me I got the job. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    The last time (as well as every time) I went on a job interview, I wore a suit. As I was leaving that interview the owner of the company says "That's a really nice suit. I'll never see it again."

...which was his way of telling me I got the job. :)
    I have one suit. Job interviews, funerals, etc. It's ten years old now, but charcoal gray never goes out of style.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by endo shi View Post

Ironic, isn't it, that the guy preaching in the video couldn't even be bothered to sit up straight and instead just slumps into the sofa.

And I'm speaking as someone who dresses up when going to the museum, etc.

The other part about things being (uniformly) well-made back then also couldn't be further from the truth. More of a desultory rant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like the member berries in South Park, it is a highly edited history with all the unpleasantness edited out.

1. There's one black man in the 'vintage' films, and he is the porter on the train making the bunk bed.

2. The nice cars driving on the parkway. It is that way because Robert Moses designed the Parkways with bridges too low to allow buses to drive on the road. He didn't want inner city taking the bus out to the suburbs.

3. We get the people in Sunday Dress at the park, but let's visit a Lower East side Tenement and see what life was life for 'us' with pushcarts.

People are people. We were nasty then, we are nasty now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

People are people. We were nasty then, we are nasty now.
    Indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this cat needs to go through Dorothea Lange's portfolio.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I liked it. And the world ended thanks to Jerry Springer making bad behavior acceptable and monetizing it. So back when, down on their luck folks would try hard to make a nickel here or there and not wear welfare/food stamps/section 8 housing on their sleeves and brag about it. That's what 15 yrs in the ER did to me. "I get a check every month". Yeah, what's your disability???? " I just tell them I hear voices". First thing we need to do in this country is clean up the welfare roll. And put those people to work paying taxes. So, essentially, if you have a job and pay taxes I might like you. Otherwise, well... *that does not apply to honestly disabled people or retirees* And yes, in a downtown ER most people are on medicaid/medicare from 18 to ??? And they walk in, plop down, pull out their cell phone and ear buds, and waste away to social media. ^It's a great life^
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    A pal linked me. I've never heard of Joey B. but his message is important (to me) and I'd like to share it with the world.

I think I see the same as you in the video. I live on the other side of the world, am younger than you and understand what the guy is saying. The cars are different, the people are different, the architecture is different but the sentiment is the same. Talking about the man working on the train and making whatever inference is not what it's about to me.
    Lee James Jones
    Former 105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to the OP for encouraging me to waste 5 minutes of my life. I tend to think this is some kind of prank. The 2 shots from the youtube promo have so much in common. 2 overweight, poorly dressed slouchers. I can call them that because I can completely relate. I'm one as well I just don't try and pretend I'm better. I think some people can relate to Joey because like him, they like to believe they are better. Swoop would love this guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    Thanks to the OP for encouraging me to waste 5 minutes of my life. I tend to think this is some kind of prank. The 2 shots from the youtube promo have so much in common. 2 overweight, poorly dressed slouchers. I can call them that because I can completely relate. I'm one as well I just don't try and pretend I'm better. I think some people can relate to Joey because like him, they like to believe they are better. Swoop would love this guy.
    I’m the original poster, and haven’t encouraged you to do anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I took your offer to "share it with the world" literally. Besides that, I get to chose if you encouraged me. As much as you want to be, it's not up to you,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading 4 pages of opinions - that's what makes the world go 'round- everyone see's something different.

I agree- I would rather see people dressed nicely in an airport, vs looking like a comfortable bag of milk.

My wife and I raised 3 kids, now young adults, who would never look like it was time for bed when going out in public.

I was hiking in the White Mountains of NH this weekend. Older folks had nothing in hand except maybe a pole.
    Younger folks? Phones. Yapping away, taking selfies, making face and fake gang signs in said selfies, yapping away as in "I'm walking up this fn mountain, I'm coming down this f'n mountain, etc etc.

Kudos for hiking, but man, I don't think they saw anything in NATURE---except to say "I was here...and everyone look at me being here"...

Cars: I have a 1969 SS Camaro convertible, my daily driver is a 2012 Ford Taurus SHO. The SHO beats it in every category, except the attention it draws. But the SS is something special to me.
    I can fix anything that goes wrong with the SS. The SHO? Nope, must have the right computers to fix the cars computers.

Interviews: I'd be happy if the applicant just showed up!!!! Now, they blow it off without even a call (or text).

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Cars: I have a 1969 SS Camaro convertible, my daily driver is a 2012 Ford Taurus SHO.
    Dayum. Them are two fine rides, hoss.

What color is the ragtop? Is the Taurus a wagon?

We had a Taurus wagon for a while, one of the lesser models, and it was a fine family truckster. My daughter told me at the time it was the least-stolen car in the US. That’s a feature, not a bug! While I’m partial to the 90’s jellybeans, I hope yours has that beautiful interlaced fingers manifold atop that kick-ass V6.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin