User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is It Going to Be Cold This Winter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is It Going to Be Cold This Winter?

For all of those who don’t fit my fat bike, or already have a fat bike and studded tires, AND are using propane — get thee to a heat pump. Seriously, there are incentives and tax breaks to help. The bipartisan infrastructure bill is kinda like someone offering to help pay for your indexed shifting and clipless pedals in the late 80’s. Act now, operators are standing by. This is a limited-time offer.

That’s financial metaphor. Although if you used those incentives to ride your bike to work it would have saved greenhouse gas emissions and improved resiliency. And it would have been a shot in the arm for the local (as in LBS) economy…
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    For all of those who don’t fit my fat bike, or already have a fat bike and studded tires, AND are using propane — get thee to a heat pump. Seriously, there are incentives and tax breaks to help.
    I'm told that the incentives don't apply unless you fully convert. My 1775 house has oil-fired steam heat with a new and efficient (or as efficient as an oil boiler can be) boiler. I don't intend to rip out all the radiators and replace them with heat pump wall units in every room. My goal would be to add mini-splits in a few key areas for cooling and supplemental heat, which would radically reduce my electric bill, and partially reduce my oil bill.

But I guess that doesn't qualify?

I've got three bids for solar, about to pull that trigger too.

Side note: Let. It. Snow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    I'm told that the incentives don't apply unless you fully convert. My 1775 house has oil-fired steam heat with a new and efficient (or as efficient as an oil boiler can be) boiler. I don't intend to rip out all the radiators and replace them with heat pump wall units in every room. My goal would be to add mini-splits in a few key areas for cooling and supplemental heat, which would radically reduce my electric bill, and partially reduce my oil bill.

But I guess that doesn't qualify?

I've got three bids for solar, about to pull that trigger too.

Side note: Let. It. Snow.
    My understanding is that the incentives (not sure about tax credits — I’m an engineer, not an accountant, dammit!) allow for leaving the “legacy” systems in place for backup and peaking.

Which makes great sense where we are, because our grid can deliver the bulk of the energy (kilowatt-hours that displace fossil fuel Btus) but will get pinched during peak demand (kilowatts). Like rouleur vs. sprinter.

And if those Btu’s being displaced are from oil, our electricity is not only cheaper (even though it’s some of the most expensive in the US), it’s way cleaner. Sense.

I think the incentives and the tax credits also apply to insulation and air sealing. Because that’s like putting on deep-dish aero wheels, for when you’re asked to get to the front and take a pull at 28 mph. Sense.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The easiest way to ensure a snowy winter is to sell your fat bike in October, or fail to get a new snowblower if you need one.
    But if you do the opposite? No snow.

That said, anyone have any opinions on Fizik cold weather shoes? Their newest model looks nice, and a little more svelte than the Northwave that got me through a handful of Chicago winters.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 10-19-2022 at 10:31 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Fuel prices will make it colder this winter. I saw today that heating oil will be 28% more expensive. We use propane out here in the wilds of NW Arizona, and a 10% increase is forecast for prices. I have a 250-gallon tank buried next to the driveway. Our supplier offers an advanced buy at a fixed price, but if the price drops below the fixed, we pay the lower cost. I bought 300 gallons. We use propane for heat, cooking, and the water heater. We typically use 100 gallons for the entire spring and summer. We'll use all 300 gallons over the winter. We're at 4000'+, so we do see cold weather.
    Ofgem which regulates Utility price caps in the UK, has raised the ceiling since January 2021 by 139%.

I had dinner with friends in from Madrid last night, and they said Spanish authorities are telling customers to expect 4x this winter.

I expect more independent utilities to go bankrupt this winter in UK since I don't think the price cap will be enough to cover their costs and not sure current UKGOV can coordinate a bailout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First below 0 degrees C night here in Concord, NH. Right about on time, perhaps a little late.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    The easiest way to ensure a snowy winter is to sell your fat bike in October, or fail to get a new snowblower if you need one.

That said, anyone have any opinions on Fizik cold weather shoes? Their newest model looks nice, and a little more svelte than the Northwave that got me through a handful of Chicago winters.
    I have the previous versions in SPD (recessed cleat). I like them. They are not as warm as some of the dead of winter boots, but they are warmer than regular shoes + booties + wool socks. And they are more comfortable and convenient that a layered system. Plus they are relatively trim so you don't feel like you are pedaling with Sasquatch feet. Originally I bought a half-size larger, but that didn't work. They are really sized appropriately at your typical cycling shoe size. For me, I wear a 43 in Fizik and so that means a 43 in the winter boots. Room enough for a Woolie Boolie sock from DeFeet. Note: The uppers are very similar to some Rossignol ski boots, so makes me wonder if Rossignol (or whoever makes Rossignol boots) makes Fizik shoes.

The new boots look like an improvement from simplicity perspective.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep my fat bike in Malaga for that very reason. Fear of snow.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Artica X5 and I also still have all my toes.

As Jorn indicated, they are warm(er) than regular cycling shoes (even with a bootie), but not bulky. I wear them with wool cycling socks, and I follow ski boot protocol, ie., don't put them on cold. I'll leave them near the radiator for a few before heading out. They work with thermal bibs with stirrups. And, bonus, they are less expensive than the expedition gear pushed by 45nrth or Lake... Fit is not quite my favorite, but it all works out relative to all the other conflicting motivations and compromises that occur when riding a bike in, say, early February.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Artica X5 and I also still have all my toes.

As Jorn indicated, they are warm(er) than regular cycling shoes (even with a bootie), but not bulky. I wear them with wool cycling socks, and I follow ski boot protocol, ie., don't put them on cold. I'll leave them near the radiator for a few before heading out. They work with thermal bibs with stirrups. And, bonus, they are less expensive than the expedition gear pushed by 45nrth or Lake... Fit is not quite my favorite, but it all works out relative to all the other conflicting motivations and compromises that occur when riding a bike in, say, early February.
    Do they run narrow or wide?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had a cold-ish snap the last few days/nights, sunny, but with lows in the mid-20's. I haven't turned the heat on yet, so inside the house got down to 52*.

Luckily the cats can't reach the thermostat...

(Although I do have evidence that one of them has been trying to open the door to the garage while I'm out by jumping and trying to turn the doorknob. It's round, so she hasn't had much success.)

Not my cat:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Well, my feet are possibly regular width but low volume (skeletal maybe even) and they fit nicely. They are not wide like a Lake shoe but they aren't narrow and pointy like old SIDI shoes.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Yes, it depends on your foot.

I kid, I kid.

I have a wide hoof, I ride Lake wide. I find these to be narrowly tolerable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it depends on your foot.

I kid, I kid.

I have a wide hoof, I ride Lake wide. I find these to be narrowly tolerable.
    Thanks, my feet are a mite wide, plus hammer toes, these sound like they would hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Well, my feet are possibly regular width but low volume (skeletal maybe even) and they fit nicely. They are not wide like a Lake shoe but they aren't narrow and pointy like old SIDI shoes.
    Thanks. Yours and TTX1's responses makes me think they won't work for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Because I just bought a new arctic weight down comforter from Feathered Friends, and I am ready. No more wool socks for me.

We are getting 30F tonight supposedly. That's in mid-October. So usually cold early means not much colder later - mildish in other words.

Predictions? Actual knowledge?
    I am surprised to hear Feathered Friends is still around.
    I bought a nice comforter there in the mid-70's that lasted decades.
    Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    Enjoy!
    It is fcking great. Recommended. I sleep like a cadaver so this holds onto my body heat as it leaves my body and saves it for me in the morning for reabsorption.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    Enjoy!
    They moved! A swanky location, near the REI flagship and an agency I used to sacrifice my life for. Always enjoyed visiting their old location for a break from the work day, such nice stuff and nice people. https://featheredfriends.com/pages/seattle-store
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think early in their history they sold kits for sewing and filling your own parka(?)

Everything they make is nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12