Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warfare has changed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Warfare has changed

With the sabotage of Nordstream 1 and 2, attacks on infrastructure are a bloodless assault that can drive an economy to its knees. My favorite blog has a great article this morning.

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/20...sloc-iloc.html
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Warfare has changed

Enlightening and scary.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russia has been doing this for years. Now its Nordstream cables , before it was communication cables. Nothing new -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Russia has been doing this for years. Now its Nordstream cables , before it was communication cables. Nothing new -Mike G
    The pipelines that would deliver natural gas to Germany were sabotaged. This is a new development and is meant to turn the people of Europe against supporting Ukraine. Between the annexation of Ukrainian territory, the threat of using nuclear weapons, and now the prospect of Europeans being unable to afford to keep warm this winter, Putin is challenging the resolve of the west to help Ukraine.

The threat to underwater cables is real as well, but not yet realized. https://www.politico.eu/article/ever...ternet-cables/
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    "Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia"

Hated that movie. I had transferred off a Trident submarine a few years before Crimson Tide came out. If submarine movies were true to life, no one would see them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    If submarine movies were true to life, no one would see them.
    Ha, aint that the truth. Turns out sub life is rarely edge of your seat excitement :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been so long since I read it I don't remember any details but Blindman's Bluff is a great book that talks about some USA espionage on Russian underwater comms cables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    Been so long since I read it I don't remember any details but Blindman's Bluff is a great book that talks about some USA espionage on Russian underwater comms cables.
    I seem to recall a few details, and the purpose of the underwater cable tapping was to break Soviet codes. The Soviets and later Russians felt confident in their cables between mainland Russia and the Kamchatka Peninsula, confident enough to send messages uncoded. There was never any intention to damage or destroy the cables, which would end the program. Much of the book takes place in the Sea of Okhotsk, which requires passage through the Kuril Islands and territorial waters of Russia. The Russians "own" the Sea of Okhotsk, US submarine presence would be akin to the Russians operating a submarine in the Puget Sound or Chesapeake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Britain pioneered cutting sea bed cables back in the World War.

From the Beeb in 2017.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42367551

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's good that Britain pioneered cutting cables in World War One. The world has changed since some telegraph and radio lines were cut.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/techn...ubject-concern

If you want to take down a nation, remove its banking and communications.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start with the power grid, a key power generation plant or two and everything else eventually grinds to a halt…communications, water filtration/distribution, fuel supplies and food distribution.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Start with the power grid, a key power generation plant or two and everything else eventually grinds to a halt…communications, water filtration/distribution, fuel supplies and food distribution.
    One of the deep discussion on deployment... To wreck the world economy, start with taking out the east coast power grid. Take down Wall Street, DC, and the communication hubs of New York and Atlanta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the deep discussion on deployment... To wreck the world economy, start with taking out the east coast power grid. Take down Wall Street, DC, and the communication hubs of New York and Atlanta.
    We had a project in school (back in the Middle Ages it seems now…designing the structural steel in a LNG storage tank), where we were given the location of all of the LNG storage tanks at the Henry Hub in SW Louisiana and made assumptions of what it would take to rupture both an empty and a full tank. It didn’t take long for us to ask the question…”Professor, if one tank explodes, wouldn’t it start some sort of chain reaction?”, as the tanks looked to be pretty close to each other.

https://rbnenergy.com/henry-the-hub-...-gas-benchmark
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    We had a project in school (back in the Middle Ages it seems now…designing the structural steel in a LNG storage tank), where we were given the location of all of the LNG storage tanks at the Henry Hub in SW Louisiana and made assumptions of what it would take to rupture both an empty and a full tank. It didn’t take long for us to ask the question…”Professor, if one tank explodes, wouldn’t it start some sort of chain reaction?”, as the tanks looked to be pretty close to each other.

https://rbnenergy.com/henry-the-hub-...-gas-benchmark
    Here's a no-shitter, I was one of the officers of the deck on the carrier TR during OIF. We were operating between Cyprus and Turkey which sees a lot of merchant traffic. I walked up to the bridge to take the watch and part of my routine was to use binoculars to assess the tactical situation. We were just 3000 yards from an LNG tanker. It was a large ship with three distinct "humps" that spelled out L-N-G. I called the captain and turned the ship to open up distance. They're floating bombs that would only need a shoulder-fired missile to ignite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russia was more effective when their weapons were Facebook, the NRA and CPAC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a no-shitter, I was one of the officers of the deck on the carrier TR during OIF. We were operating between Cyprus and Turkey which sees a lot of merchant traffic. I walked up to the bridge to take the watch and part of my routine was to use binoculars to assess the tactical situation. We were just 3000 yards from an LNG tanker. It was a large ship with three distinct "humps" that spelled out L-N-G. I called the captain and turned the ship to open up distance. They're floating bombs that would only need a shoulder-fired missile to ignite.
    What would you consider an appropriate distance from such a vessel? 3000 yards is less than 2 miles.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    What would you consider an appropriate distance from such a vessel? 3000 yards is less than 2 miles.
    No closer than 10 nautical miles. The person who had the watch before me thought LNG was a shipping line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No closer than 10 nautical miles. The person who had the watch before me thought LNG was a shipping line.
    That person must be an admiral by now....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast