Thread: Electric Motos ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Electric Motos ?

Anyone own one yet?

Just saw this article pop up and the bike looks pretty good on paper and the weight is not outrageous.

I bet we will be seeing lots more of these pop up soon. If I still had a commute, I think an electric moto would make a ton of sense. For the dirtbagging around road tripper, I dont think we're there yet.

https://expeditionportal.com/zero-em...t-performance/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Electric Motos ?

I've now seen more than 1 Zero parked in South Lake Union, presumably commuters.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Livewire, Harley's electric bike was listed on the NYSE today as a stand alone company. The motor company definitely thinks there is a future and is still a major share holder in the Livewire brand. I've yet to see one out on the road.

I think a better, brighter future is in the off road, dirt bike market. The typically shorter ride time at lower speeds seems a better fit. The benefit of a silent running bike is also an advantage. In suburban areas, noise is often cited as a detractor to allowing dirt bike access to land use.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Livewire, Harley's electric bike was listed on the NYSE today as a stand alone company. The motor company definitely thinks there is a future and is still a major share holder in the Livewire brand. I've yet to see one out on the road.

I think a better, brighter future is in the off road, dirt bike market. The typically shorter ride time at lower speeds seems a better fit. The benefit of a silent running bike is also an advantage. In suburban areas, noise is often cited as a detractor to allowing dirt bike access to land use.
    I watched an annual mountain bike race in Switzerland a couple times over a several year period and in this race they had a pace moto and it was electric. It was nearly silent and a complete non factor except to signify the position of the lead riders. The lack of noise was truly a pleasant experience.

I have no idea what brand this was or anything about it but it looked like a normal off-road moto but with motors and a battery instead of an engine.

I’m not a motorcycle rider but this does seem like a great application for electrification.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are at least a couple of YT videos with POV tests of electric motos. One I watched was an attempt to run a hare scramble. The charge only lasted for a few stages, but it was definitely competitive with the field of standard four strokes.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm partial to this old bike.

September 27, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    The benefit of a silent running bike is also an advantage. In suburban areas, noise is often cited as a detractor to allowing dirt bike access to land use.
    One thing is for sure: there will much rejoicing in my book once landscapers swap to e-mowers and leaf blowers. Good god is it annoying when the neighbors landscapers are out using power equipment for hours on end. Probably not happen in the next decade+ but silent landscaping equipment will be a god send.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got one of those electric lawnmowers and thought it was cool when I couldn't hear it above the neighbors across the street's lawn service's machines. I was pushing it around, they were 200 or more feet away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once tried out an offroad electric KTM, very fun and quiet.

There are a lot of electric moped in the wild, we have some shared ones I rent to go back to where I parked my motorbike the day before, had too many drinks and came.home by bus or taxi. Most are aliexpress crap to be honest with slippery garden hose tires.

I have been considering replacing my 300cc scooter with an electric motorbike but the zeros are currently out of my league financially. The Volta is much more affordable but range is quite small, not sure I could charge it wherever I want and fast enough:

Other problem is my bike is staying outside so I have no way to charge it except on public chargers. I have been considering the Silence/Seat Mó which has the advantage of allowing me to remove the battery and roll it inside. But it would only cover my short trips and its top.speed is limited to 100kph that kind of forces you to stay behind the big trucks in the highway. And I think it cannot deal with that speed under a long period. And it is still a toilet seat on wheels, which is fine for grocery shopping but less on the road:

Bottom line I want a motorbike that handle and has the range and fast charging capability of a zero with extractible batteries like the Silence and not more expensive than a Volta. Sounds like I am looking for a unicorn.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-28-2022 at 02:49 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I'm partial to this old bike.

SPP
    So are you going to convert it to electric?
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Other problem is my bike is staying outside so I have no way to charge it except on public chargers.
    I suppose that means you live in an apartment?

My wife just bought a new EV but we deliberately built our house without a garage so the EV will have to live, and be charged, outside.

We are installing a MyEnergi Zappi 2 which comes with a weatherproof enclosure and a clever system that allows us to prioritise using only the house solar to charge the EV. When Australia gets its act together it will also do vehicle to grid so the EV can act as a domestic storage battery.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UCI track events periodically use an electric derny for keirin. Makes total sense - no fumes and I am betting the acceleration is smoother too. Given a bit of software work, you could probably set the derny to reach to X speed over Y distance so the driver "released" the riders at nearly the same speed each time.

Not as glamorous or romantic as Walter "The Beast" Huybrechts throwing a leg over his chuffing derny for another go, but there you are.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose that means you live in an apartment?
    Yes. There are people already charging their EV cars using a long powercord on the sidewalk but this is a nuisance for people on a wheelchair or elders using walking aids.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorcycle Gang met at The White Horse (https://www.whitehorsecountrypub.com) down in New Milford, CT last night.

Rode down from Lakeville with three other guys (Ray with 1970's BMW sidecar rig, Jim on his R100, and Larry on an early 2000's GS). Hit a bunch of backroads and dirt roads.

The White Horse has all kinds of historical artifacts dating back hundred of years, and boasts a 1920's Indian motorcycle behind the bar.

It's a long ride home in the dark (about an hour and fifteen minutes), and I got caught in a little rain just as I got to the one traffic light in Hillsdale. Plus I was kind of cold.

But...they literally have the best burger I have ever had in my entire life.

October 15,2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

September 28, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Way Up is worth a watch for electric bikes, even if this installment isn’t the same and they’re lost a bit over the years.
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently read about a European study that had some concerns about increased accidents involving electric vehicles, because they accelerate so quickly.

On charging at home, I have a neighbor with a roof full of solar panels and charging post (?) next to his outdoor driveway for his plug-in hybrid Prius.

His driveway is short, so his outlet for charging is open and not far from the street.

He doesn't have a garage, but his house is nice and it looks like he spent a fortune to save energy.

Maybe it is part of his business.
    Steve Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    He doesn't have a garage, but his house is nice and it looks like he spent a fortune to save energy.

Maybe it is part of his business.
    Depending on your rebate options and electrical provider net metering agreements you might find the economics pretty favorable for the solar system, at least. If you plan to stay in your house for a few years.

Back on topic, the Stark Varg looks like a lot of fun. Still don't think battery tech is at a place where long range enduros make much sense, but for 30min motos it seems like there are some competitive options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw quite a few electric motos used both by commuters and delivery drivers. This one is a Super Soco TC Max and imho was one of the better looking options. I think the price on these is in the 5-6000euro range, which seems reasonable. Battery can be removed for recharging.

Last edited by j44ke; 02-12-2023 at 08:39 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ at this point in the development of electric motos, utility makes a lot more sense to me than performance. Cake etc are making product that’s not “how it’s supposed to look” from a cool motos sense but quite smart in many ways. I also think utility is where swappable batteries will take off. I agree with the Revzilla gang that widely swappable batteries will make a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    ^^^ at this point in the development of electric motos, utility makes a lot more sense to me than performance. Cake etc are making product that’s not “how it’s supposed to look” from a cool motos sense but quite smart in many ways. I also think utility is where swappable batteries will take off. I agree with the Revzilla gang that widely swappable batteries will make a big difference.
    I did not notice this electric BMW last time I was in Paris. There are quite a few now. BMW CE 04. Low center of gravity. Storage compartments. Appears to seat a family of 4 but probably not recommended. I'd say they are kind of ugly cool.

Paris charges combustion engine motos and scooters for parking, but electric ones park for free.

Last edited by j44ke; 04-05-2023 at 04:08 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast