User Tag List

Thread: Willow Bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Willow Bikes

Hey, I'm getting ready to start building again under a different brand. I think I have the workshop pretty much sorted and hope to have things up and running within the next 2 or 3 weeks. I'd love to carry on documenting stuff on this forum (I like have a record of what's happening) but doing it in this thread seems wrong as Shand Cycles as a business still exists. The new brand is 'Willow', could I (or someone) start a new Smoked Out thread for the new brand?

https://www.willowbike.com/

Cheers
    Steven Shand
    www.willowbike.com
    Handbuilt Bicycles - Scotland, UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Willow Bikes

Hi Steven! Best of luck with the new venture. We look forward to hearing all about it. And seeing more great bikes!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steven, what are your plan under that brand. Will you only focus on one kind of bike with semi-standardized configurations/models or do you plan to build whatever the customer is looking for, be it road, mtb, gravel, mount bosses here and there, etc?
    --
    T h o m a s

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven

Looking forward to 2.0 and all it entails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, really looking forward to getting going again. Setting up a workshop from scratch now is so different to doing it 20 years when I knew nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Hi Steven, what are your plan under that brand. Will you only focus on one kind of bike with semi-standardized configurations/models or do you plan to build whatever the customer is looking for, be it road, mtb, gravel, mount bosses here and there, etc?
    To be frank, I'm not sure. My plan really is to have no plan.

I realise that with my last brand, I really missed the interaction with the customer. We were super efficient and narrowed down choices all with the aim of limiting admin time. And to be fair that worked and it achieved what we were trying to do but it definitely felt we were a little too removed from the customer. I'd like to get back to that.

I'm not really into race bikes much anymore but I do appreciate a nice road bike so I'm sure I'll be doing some of that. I really also like nice riding, everyday recreational bikes. I'm an admirer of what Grant at Rivendell does. I'm not sure the UK would support high-end bikes in that style. Maybe.

I have a couple of bikes I want to build for myself and people are already asking for stuff so I think for the first year or so I'll go into it with an open mind and see what I enjoy doing. My previous attempt at doing this was definitely about building a sustainable business where we could make things with a provenance and employ good people. It was about building a business. This time around it's much more about finding something that makes me happy. My new workshop is at home, I have no plans to expand. If I can pay the bills with a handful of bikes then that will be enough for me.

Will keep you all updated.
    Steven Shand
    www.willowbike.com
    Handbuilt Bicycles - Scotland, UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shand View Post
    Hey, I'm getting ready to start building again under a different brand. I think I have the workshop pretty much sorted and hope to have things up and running within the next 2 or 3 weeks. I'd love to carry on documenting stuff on this forum (I like have a record of what's happening) but doing it in this thread seems wrong as Shand Cycles as a business still exists. The new brand is 'Willow', could I (or someone) start a new Smoked Out thread for the new brand?

https://www.willowbike.com/

Cheers
    Check your PM.