I'm trying to redirect specific pages and subdirectories from one domain's website to another domain. Both sites use Wordpress. I have some experience doing this via .htaccess and a redirect plugin, but am running into a few challenges and could use some guidance.

Some of my redirects work as intended -- e.g., from one specific old page right off the root directory to the corresponding specific page on the new site.

Other redirects are not working because the old URL does not have an exact match on the new site and as a result I get a 404 error on the new site. I can't figure out how to redirect a specific page from the old site to a catch-all subdirectory on the new site.

For example, on the old site I have this file structure:

/product/
/product/features/
/product/benefits/

On the new site I only have this:

/newproduct/

I'm able to redirect /product/ to /newproduct/ successfully, but can't redirect the specific features and benefits pages to /newproduct/ because the old URLs are carried over to the new site, which does not have corresponding pages. So I get 404 errors.

I suspect there is a way to address this via Rewrite commands in the .htaccess file, but that's where my experience drops off.

If any of you can give me a clue I'd appreciate it.