User Tag List

Thread: Pad Thai

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pad Thai

I made three attempts at Pad Thai and had results ranging from truly awful to merely lousy and marginally edible. I'd like to be able to get to the point where I can whip out a good one, tofu/vegetarian, efficiently. Can anybody point me to recipes, and hints and/or pitfalls to avoid 'cause I musta found some, to get me there?
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pad Thai

I had a girlfriend who could make it very well. She cooked everything in high heat and very quickly. The prep took longer than the cooking. Sauce is everything and fresh ingredients in the sauce are key. Doing the noodles right and cooking everything in the same pan separately and together. Anyway I was just an observer. I have no pad Thai skills. But looking through a few videos on YouTube, this guy seems to do it fairly similarly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I had a girlfriend who could make it very well. She cooked everything in high heat and very quickly. The prep took longer than the cooking. Sauce is everything and fresh ingredients in the sauce are key. Doing the noodles right and cooking everything in the same pan separately and together. Anyway I was just an observer. I have no pad Thai skills. But looking through a few videos on YouTube, this guy seems to do it fairly similarly.

Thanks; I'll give it a whirl.

It's been quite a few months since my three attempts; I don't precisely remember the ingredients or procedures I used but they were similar. That said, I must have gotten some ratios or some-particular-thing, seriously wrong.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to look at the Pok Pok cookbook, or Simple Thai Food. Both have good recipes, but the latter is simpler.

(But Pok Pok has an amazing chicken wings recipe if that’s of interest…)
    My name is David Moeny