Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sedona in November

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sedona in November

We're planning our biggest road trip with kiddo and doggo yet, a week in Sedona over Thanksgiving. Bringing bikes, going for hikes, and gazing in astonishment at the scenery are all expected activities. I've reached out to the Sedona MTB Academy and will likely schedule a lesson for my daughter at the bike park so she can get schooled in skills that are beyond my wheelhouse. Aiming to spend one day in Flagstaff, too, to try the cool zip line/ropes course at Ft. Tuthill park.

What else should we consider doing, eating, seeing?

BigBill, Steve Garro, and others who know the area well, any suggestions you can make would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sedona in November

We did the Grand Canyon last year in early November. It was awesome. Hiked each day and it never got old.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Flagstaff can be a crapshoot in November, at 7K feet, it won't be warm. As mentioned above, November is a great time to see the Grand Canyon. We like to drive up Highway 89 on the east side of Flag and enter the park through the east entrance. Cameron Trading Post is a great place to stop, kind of touristy, but they showcase quite a bit of Navajo jewelry, sand paintings, and weaving. The restaurant is great, have a Navajo Taco which is taco toppings on fry bread. The Trading Post is about a mile past the turnoff to the east entrance. Hitting the east entrance allows you to be a salmon and go upstream against all the regular tourist traffic then exit out the south gate. Sedona will be nice and since it's at lower altitudes, the weather should be pleasant. It is a pricey place overall, but all the hikes and trails are free.

If you wanted to stay more than a day at Grand Canyon, the Cameron Trading Post has a nice hotel with very reasonable prices about 25 minutes from the east entrance.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will probably be changing the gondola for the winter season, but if you have nice weather, you may want to drive to Snowbowl on Humphrey's Peak. Base is 9200' and the peak itself is 12,000+. The range of peaks is what's left of an old volcano.
    The volcano is now the aquifer where snow melt supplies a lot of Flagstaff water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just going to suggest Mt. Humphrey. You could also trickle down south a bit to Jerome - a nicely artsy-fartsy former mining town - and Montezuma’s Castle NP near Camp Verde - a cliff dwelling site from the 12th century. But mostly I think you want to explore Sedona as much as possible and find the ignored areas. The whole area is beautiful, but it can get swamped with people in cars with everyone going to the same handful of places. And things that look close on the map are actually pretty hefty drives. Better to stay local and on the bike as much as possible. Less stress, more fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone, this is good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be ready for crowds & traffic !!!!

From THX giving to after NYE is super busy and there are a ton of road construction projects going on, and the traffic sucks even when there's not.

You can get away from the crowds if you basically eschew and 5-star rated spots = I have literally say on top of a hill after having ridden all day seeing nobody and looked down upon Dry Creek at with no exaggeration 100's & 100's of parked cars.
    5-star my ass!

Very likely Humphries could be snowed in, or they could be making fake snow if it's cold enough, or it could be hot.
    I'm not even sure if the trail is open right now after the last big fire, we have been having awful flash flooding in town from that and Snowbowl Road was the border of the forest closure.

The red rocks are there, they aren't going anywhere for sure.........my short list is avoid:

* Dry Creek
    * Bell Rock
    * Back 'o Beyond

Do go to:

* Carrol Canyon Area
    * Llama Trail area

Also, I know Jack's Canyon, Hot Loop, and I think Schlebley Hill Road are closed because of ANOTHER fire

May I also throw in for consideration Old Town Cottonwood - this is the best eats / strolling in the area along wit Clarkdale - also, good riding in Dead Horse State Park & Tuziggot in amazing, also consider renting IK"s and goign for a float

Avoiding the Insta-worthy masses is the key 100%

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much Steve! I'll have to get my bearings on the locations of all these places. Coming from the Bay Area we're used to crowds, but we'll seek out the less slammed spots as you suggest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Thanks so much Steve! I'll have to get my bearings on the locations of all these places. Coming from the Bay Area we're used to crowds, but we'll seek out the less slammed spots as you suggest.
    Standing in line in the forest is pointless if you can be a few 100 meters away with nobody !!!

Also:
    Adobe jack trail system is great
    - Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 08-10-2022 at 02:17 PM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you said to stay away from Bell Rock, but I was thinking this could be a good loop for my 10 year-old:
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/492...ntro-to-sedona

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We went to Sedona in February 2020. A few thoughts ...

Touristy but still fun:
    balloon ride
    off road tour (pink jeep).

Food:
    Elote Café … bring a deck of cards or card game. The wait is no joke.
    Tamaliza café

Art / Crafts:
    Lots of art in Sedona. Its all fairly obvious to find and explore. In the next town over, maybe Oak Village, we found a craft / artist market. There was some interesting outdoor metal sculpture and legitimate Mata Ortiz pottery. Prices were amazing for some lesser known potters who are making very nice work. I bought a large hand made ceramic piece for $350 and from the same person bought a vase from the niece of Juan Quesada for about the same amount. In town, similar pottery was selling for $1500+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you said to stay away from Bell Rock, but I was thinking this could be a good loop for my 10 year-old:
    The goal is keeping it fun for the 10 year old. My experience is less is always more for children, but every child is different.
    A beginner trail for a beginner seems like a good idea in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be pretty OK with a few washes to cross, the Bell Rock pathway is super scenic and good for anybody as an out & back

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    It would be pretty OK with a few washes to cross, the Bell Rock pathway is super scenic and good for anybody as an out & back

- Garro.
    She'll be ready to crush the whole loop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She'll be ready to crush the whole loop!

Awesome !
    There are a lot of options in that general area from easy to super technical, I like to ride out to Rabbit Ears a lot

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our trip is officially underway! Did half the drive yesterday and stayed overnight in Barstow. First ride tomorrow will include a big surprise for the kiddo, a new 26 FS Trailcraft that I ordered months ago and had shipped to Thunder Mountain Bikes. So excited for this getaway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Our trip is officially underway! Did half the drive yesterday and stayed overnight in Barstow. First ride tomorrow will include a big surprise for the kiddo, a new 26 FS Trailcraft that I ordered months ago and had shipped to Thunder Mountain Bikes. So excited for this getaway!
    Thunder Mountain bikes sell a very handy map bandana. I have it wadded up in my jersey pocket when I ride the area; it shows all the major trails.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you're still heading east on I-40, getting on historic Rt66 heading north out of Kingman is a way more pleasant drive than I-40. Get back on I-40 at Seligman. West Side Lilo's has pie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good timing! We’re just about to get off 40 for lunch in Kingman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a great time! Send pics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast