User Tag List

Thread: Living in Menorca (Minorca)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Living in Menorca (Minorca)

Anyone here with experience living in Menorca? What's it like?

It came up in a conversation the other day so I'm just curious.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Living in Menorca (Minorca)

Stephan Rohner lives on Ibiza. He seems to like it. Obviously that's not Menorca, but it is one of the Balearic Islands. So I'm guessing he's at least horseshoe close enough to offer advice.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Stephan Rohner lives on Ibiza. He seems to like it. Obviously that's not Menorca, but it is one of the Balearic Islands. So I'm guessing he's at least horseshoe close enough to offer advice.
    Thanks. I suspect the vibe is quite different, particularly around the more popular areas along the beach. More inland, there are probably more similarities.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Thanks. I suspect the vibe is quite different, particularly around the more popular areas along the beach. More inland, there are probably more similarities.
    Yeah, don't think he's a party guy. More inland. You can likely reach him through his Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42743731@N00/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Anyone here with experience living in Menorca? What's it like?

It came up in a conversation the other day so I'm just curious.
    I only spent holidays in Menorca but several times so maybe I can chime in.

First the geography. The island is a paradise of small beachs in small calas (creeks) with attendance limited by quota (when using a car). As for riding a bicycle, I am afraid riding a road bike would be limited and boring. There is basically one main road from Mahon at the extreme east to Ciutadella de Menorca at the extreme west. Between that a lot of small roads that goes to the small seaside but not a single road that goes around it, so the opportunities to make actual loops are very small, especially in south west. It is much easier on the north/west side which as more minor roads. Still a gravel bike or even a mountain bike makes more sense. There is a trail named Camí de Cavalls (literraly path of the horses) that goes round the island. It is quite technical but pleasant to do both by foot or mountain/gravel bike. There is only one big significant hill at the middle of the island but it is a dead end. It is very steep, you can enjoy the view and eat an ice cream at the top (at least during summer) but you have to go down the same road. Overall Menorca is much better for the riding.

As a tourist I found out it had an atmosphere much more suited to families than its balearic sisters are.

Connections:
    Most major europeans cities by Air.
    Majorca and Barcelona by Ferry boat.

As for living there, it is probably very quiet during off season with deserted touristing resorts looking more like places from a zombie movie and the total opposite in summer with lots of annoying rental cars on the road. I am living in a touristic city and trust me, once you settle in that kind of place you may still be a stranger to the eyes of the local natives but you'll still want to avoid the tourists like they do. It is easy in a big city with lots of land around, a bit more difficult in a small island.

This is probably a place I'd love to live in only from october to late may unless I was living from tourism.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 08-03-2022 at 10:51 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I only spent holidays in Menorca but several times so maybe I can chime in.

First the geography. The island is a paradise of small beachs in small calas (creeks) with attendance limited by quota (when using a car). As for riding a bicycle, I am afraid riding a road bike would be limited and boring. There is basically one main road from Mahon at the extreme east to Ciutadella de Menorca at the extreme west. Between that a lot of small roads that goes to the small seaside but not a single road that goes around it, so the opportunities to make actual loops are very small, especially in south west. It is much easier on the north/west side which as more minor roads. Still a gravel bike or even a mountain bike makes more sense. There is a trail named Camí de Cavalls (literraly path of the horses) that goes round the island. It is quite technical but pleasant to do both by foot or mountain/gravel bike. There is only one big significant hill at the middle of the island but it is a dead end. It is very steep, you can enjoy the view and eat an ice cream at the top (at least during summer) but you have to go down the same road. Overall Menorca is much better for the riding.

As a tourist I found out it had an atmosphere much more suited to families than its balearic sisters are.

Connections:
    Most major europeans cities by Air.
    Majorca and Barcelona by Ferry boat.

As for living there, it is probably very quiet during off season with deserted touristing resorts looking more like places from a zombie movie and the total opposite in summer with lots of annoying rental cars on the road. I am living in a touristic city and trust me, once you settle in that kind of place you may still be a stranger to the eyes of the local natives but you'll still want to avoid the tourists like they do. It is easy in a big city with lots of land around, a bit more difficult in a small island.

This is probably a place I'd love to live in only from october to late may unless I was living from tourism.
    Thanks. Your comments confirm my initial guesses. (I'm assuming you meant Mallorca in the last sentence of the second paragraph.)

I understand that there is a very cheap return fare for flights to Barcelona, exclusively for residents.

What did you think of the food there?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Mallorca I used the word adopted by brits.

I haven't a lot of experience. I know they have that orange Mahón cheese. While not bad per se, it didn't gave me a lot of emotions as a french who was living in Switzerland. Otherwise it is all quite mediterranean olive oil/garlic/basil based with a strong catalan influence and really good. I think they have mostly pork as livestock and make lots of cured sausages. They have nice pastries but as often in spain they love them way too sweet.
    --
    T h o m a s