User Tag List

Thread: MOG - creating a framebag out of IKEA-material - ideas, tipps and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MOG - creating a framebag out of IKEA-material - ideas, tipps and more

good day dear friends on the Velocipedsalon

at the moment i am just preparing a bike-packing-tour - through France.

well i guess it would be a great thing to create your own bikepacking-equipment.

did you ever try to create your own framebag - eg like the folks describe here

a. here - this guy created a Framebag - made out of a IKEA-Hack: https://imgur.com/a/FlIg3
    b. here ; https://www.pinterest.de/pin/544583779947409791/ - the guys created a rolltop-framebag - zipperless
    c. here https://www.pinterest.de/pin/418975571574965274/ - also a frambegag - rolltop and zipperless - DIY

I just like all those ideas and wanted to ask you if you have some experience in creating your how gear

look forward ,,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MOG - creating a framebag out of IKEA-material - ideas, tipps and more

I have patiently collected old tires and cut them with the idea to create a handlebar roll-bag.

How long do you expect your bike packing tour to last?

This could be interesting to you:
    https://bikepacking.com/gear/how-to-...mebag-krampus/
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MOG - creating a framebag out of IKEA-material - ideas, tipps and more

I've not made bike luggage--been fortunate to have really nicely made stuff for me. However, I've made outdoor clothing and bags. Here's my tips:

1) Make damn sure you're getting something out of it. It could be personal satisfaction, it could be meeting a challenge, or it could be exactly the thing you want doesn't exist. I make my own audio gear, some of my own outdoor gear, my own booze, weed, and even gochujang... and I can say for certain you will not save money by making your own stuff unless you already possess all the material and equipment. Well, maybe except for the weed.
    2) A good sewing machine is a simple home machine that will do straight stitching and zig-zags. You don't need anything more and you really do not want an industrial machine. Most of the time you want to go really, really, really slow, and industrial machines are good at going all day 10x faster than you want.
    3) Build a simple square bag first. In fact, i'd suggest doing so every time working with a new material. Some materials want to be rolled 3 times on the edges, some need backing, some benefit from a sharp needle, some from a ballpoint. Good to learn with something that isn't a big deal if you mess it up. Cinch bags and dry bag style bags are great. It also helps you visualize as you're going to sew your bags inside out, an then flip them around. Depending on how complex things get, it can be hard to visualize (like the multi-layer insulated skirt I made).
    4) Roll tops and cinch tops are great (although sewing through hypalon isn't the most fun, tpu coated might work better) and not too difficult to make. Zippers are the bane of my existence and the one area where it's still obvious that my stuff is DIY.
    5) Don't hesitate to use seam sealer, tape, or any other "hack" to ensure that the bag is water resistant.

And as always... post pictures! Folks love seeing what people come up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello dear Thomas hello dear spopepro

first of all many many thanks for the replies - i am very glad to read.

Well - i am very happy to read your ideas tipps and get to know some of your experiences.

1) Make damn sure you're getting something out of it. It could be personal satisfaction, it could be meeting a challenge, or it could be exactly the thing you want doesn't exist. I make my own audio gear, some of my own outdoor gear, my own booze, weed, and even gochujang... and I can say for certain you will not save money by making your own stuff unless you already possess all the material and equipment. Well, maybe except for the weed.
    2) A good sewing machine is a simple home machine that will do straight stitching and zig-zags. You don't need anything more and you really do not want an industrial machine. Most of the time you want to go really, really, really slow, and industrial machines are good at going all day 10x faster than you want.
    3) Build a simple square bag first. In fact, i'd suggest doing so every time working with a new material. Some materials want to be rolled 3 times on the edges, some need backing, some benefit from a sharp needle, some from a ballpoint. Good to learn with something that isn't a big deal if you mess it up. Cinch bags and dry bag style bags are great. It also helps you visualize as you're going to sew your bags inside out, an then flip them around. Depending on how complex things get, it can be hard to visualize (like the multi-layer insulated skirt I made).
    Great ideas - food for thoughts - i will follow these ideas tipps and hints.

I am so glad to be part of this great community.

Have a great day