User Tag List

Thread: Glenn Curtiss Museum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Glenn Curtiss Museum

If you're ever in the neighborhood of Hammondsport NY it is definitely something to check out. Old motorcycles, motors made in the first decade of the 20th century not to mention airplanes that boggle the mind. Looking at something made of bamboo, linen and wire with an engine developed by a guy that was self taught after 8th grade and he flew it from Albany to New York City. I should have pictures but was too caught up just looking at everything in awe.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Glenn Curtiss Museum

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If you're ever in the neighborhood of Hammondsport NY it is definitely something to check out. Old motorcycles, motors made in the first decade of the 20th century not to mention airplanes that boggle the mind. Looking at something made of bamboo, linen and wire with an engine developed by a guy that was self taught after 8th grade and he flew it from Albany to New York City. I should have pictures but was too caught up just looking at everything in awe.
    That is a mind bender! I'll remember it on the chance that I'll get up that way before my Sell By Date. The mechanical stuff that folks made in their garages back then, pouring their own castings and such as that, is truly amazing.

On a related note for folks farther south: The Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola is pretty stellar. From Jennys through WWII, jets and pretty current stuff, it's definitely worth seeing if in the neighborhood.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    On a related note for folks farther south: The Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola is pretty stellar. From Jennys through WWII, jets and pretty current stuff, it's definitely worth seeing if in the neighborhood.
    I was a frequent visitor at the Naval Aviation Museum while I was attending Officer Indoctrination School in 2000. My son will be there next spring to start flight school after he finishes up TBS at Quantico.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I was a frequent visitor at the Naval Aviation Museum while I was attending Officer Indoctrination School in 2000. My son will be there next spring to start flight school after he finishes up TBS at Quantico.
    One of my favorite displays at the museum is that enormous flying boat that one can miss 'cause it's so damn large that it just becomes background....until you realize...wait a minute...that thing that dwarfs everything is an airplane!

That will be an exciting time for your son; I don't know what the single engine trainer is these days (I remember T-28s lined up alongside Murray) but you can't mistake the orange/white livery frequently passing over our house.

Does Al's Castle Bar ring any bells? Mighta been gone by 2000; Barrancas at Pace. Best hot pastrami sammie in the galaxy, once upon a time, in another life.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corning glass museum wasn't bad either but the Curtiss museum is more memorable. Though the zen of blowing glass is pretty cool. Don't think, just do or it falls apart when you hesitate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a remarkable coincidence, I just rode through Hammondsport two days ago while riding around Keuka Lake.

Beautiful area. Didn’t visit the museum.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    In a remarkable coincidence, I just rode through Hammondsport two days ago while riding around Keuka Lake.

Beautiful area. Didn’t visit the museum.
    So when do we get a trip update? I’m thinking about checking out the finger lakes area and respectfully request a report.
    Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    So when do we get a trip update? I’m thinking about checking out the finger lakes area and respectfully request a report.
    Cliff Notes version: great place to ride. Lots of hills. Relatively low traffic and many roads with paved shoulders.

My ride around Keuka Lake had over 2600’ of climbing in 58 miles, most of it on two hills. But views worth stopping for.

Upstate NY appears to be a very good place to ride a bike, at least in summer!
    La Cheeserie!