Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Get yer pets inside this afternoon & evening

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Get yer pets inside this afternoon & evening

Fireworks. The news says that more pets are lost on the 4th of July than on any other day.

Until fairly recently I wasn't aware of how disruptive and damaging fireworks are to wild life, livestock and pets. I knew that it frightened some pets but didn't grok the larger implications like their panicking and busting out of fences, enclosures and even doors as folks come/go and then getting lost and/or hit; or wildlife abandoning nests and young. The ways in which we humans are managing to destroy our natural world are myriad and far more than I ever imagined.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get yer pets inside this afternoon & evening

We are regulars for the Washington, DC 4th of july fireworks. They always start the show with a few aerial sonic bursts just to wake up the crowd. Look at the memorial rooflines for bats. Thousands and thousands of bats.

I'd hate to be a bat on that day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night was loud in the Dorptown. What made me laugh was this morning about 6:30 I'm enjoying my third cup of coffee and somebody let off three BIG ones in the park. Rise and shine, really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They were launching the kind of aerials you need a pyro license for until maybe 3 this morning in the Dorptown. Thump.... boom. One disadvantage of living half a mile from the park because you're not lighting up big stuff at your house,, you go find an open spot..
    Somebody had one of those belts of continuous ones and it went for a good three or four minutes. Annoying as hell at 0130 but impressive nonetheless. I'm pleased it is raining tonight so maybe I can sleep. Even our deaf cat was bothered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew a Darwin Award candidate was out there somewhere in the amateur fireworks world. Turns out he lives in my area… https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2022/...olice-say.html

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My HOA started a brush fire with their fireworks show. It's not like we were in a brush fire warning or anything with the high temps, high winds, and single-digit humidity. Oh wait, we were. Now the neighborhood FB page has half a dozen posts about missing pets.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My HOA started a brush fire with their fireworks show. It's not like we were in a brush fire warning or anything with the high temps, high winds, and single-digit humidity. Oh wait, we were. Now the neighborhood FB page has half a dozen posts about missing pets.
    People are so #$&! stupid and thoughtless; I could spit nails; but decorum prevents writing what I really think.

The overarching operational message I learned from my Jarhead fighter pilot father...and, come to think of it, my WWII carrier skipper GF too, was if you're going to eff-up, don't cause harm to others or take anybody else with'ya; in my mind that includes the thoughtlessness and carelessness that results in losing or injuring pets and other innocents. It's ok to injure or kill yourself; it ain't ok to include anybody else, man or beast. Jesus. Morons. Humankind really deserves to disappear from this planet; alone.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets