Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On heat conditioning/acclimatization

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On heat conditioning/acclimatization

Long story short, my current employment path means I'll be spending a solid amount of time in very hot conditions in the outdoors with a strict requirement for long sleeves, pants, and headwear. There is no air-conditioning escape route. It is demanding physical labor living in the outdoors full time. I don't know anyone specifically on the forum who has a similar line of work, but I do know that many of you ride throughout the summer in hot conditions and some of you work with hot metal indoors (meaning I assume you wear sleeves and headwear and that it is hot). I am thus appealing to the wisdom of the Salon for any tried and true tips or protocols for heat conditioning/acclimatization. Sauna time? Changing up sleep clothing routines? What have I not thought of outside of the obvious (go do hard work in the hottest hours of the day)?

It's been a particularly cool and wet spring in the valley where I live, so simply working hard outdoors in heavy clothes has been good but not as challenging as it would have been last year, when it hit 108f this week. I live mostly outdoors anyways, and we don't have any form of climate control in our home, so I can't just crank up the heat and do jumping jacks. Surely this subject is relevant for anyone who spends summers doing sports in a warming climate, so hopefully my OT-ishness is permissible...
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: On heat conditioning/acclimatization

I have done heat training from an athletic point of view and had success with it, so would guess that it would translate well. 2 ways of going about:

1. Heat exposure after you are already hot. After a ride, workout, outside work in hot conditions, go into a sauna or hot bath. Start with 5-10s and gradually build up. Drink - this isn't dehydration training, just heat training.
    2. Do a ride, workout, outside work in warm conditions and wear extra clothing to simulate additional warmth. Key here is that you shouldn't be killing yourself as far as work rate. If you are familiar with cycling lingo, this is a zone 1 ride. You want to build up internal temp and let it sit there. Not build it up until you combust. Again, drink.

Would guess that these types of techniques would be good for any type of heat adaptation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat acclimation described in item 2 mentioned above is recommended. Putter along on a really hot day (with enough cold water), but just let your body soak up the heat. It's how I would prepare for warm and humid conditions back when I raced on the road.

Other things to consider. Would you be allowed a cooler filled with ice? If so, water bottles that 1/3-filled with frozen water will come in quite handy. There are also cooling vests with phase-change cooling inserts. Those probably have to be replaced every hour, but it should make things a bit more bearable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've done a bunch of deployments in the Persian Gulf region on ships. As an engineer, I spent most of my time in the steam plant where general ambient temps would be around 120 degrees with areas around the turbines at 150. Moving air is your friend, so are coveralls. Coveralls minimize the layers of material to dissipate heat and you can get materials that quickly evaporate. If possible, avoid cotton undergarments. Although I generally despise boxer briefs, they work well in hot temps and help prevent prickly heat. Neck wraps for evaporative cooling and if you're in a hardhat, a broad brim version is desired. If you're in a hardhat, pro tip, unscented panty liners work well on the sweatband. Stick it on and when it gets too dirty, just peel and replace.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you handling hot/dirty/dangerous materials as well and are gloves, eye protection and a respirator required? I ask as I spent 5 years working outside in a mill environment and the equipment that I wore there was pretty intense and we were exposed to Mother Nature 12 months a year. Summers were always the worst, in terms of high temperatures, humidity and rain and what I'd recommend in terms of clothing, protection and hydration, might be different from what you'd need.

https://www.acmecoke.com/acme-coke-c...dman-training/

Last edited by rwsaunders; 06-20-2022 at 04:34 PM.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will throw this out here for anyone that has seen a road crew laying asphalt in Phoenix when it is 110 degrees. Long sleeve light colored shirts, large large brim hats.

Everyone is a little different so you just have to listen to your own body and when you get rest in the shade, rest in the shade.

I'd tell you to go sit in a sauna for 1 hr. I have a 80 C sauna that I will do 30 minutes. It makes riding in high temp easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the nice suggestions. An extra layer is a good idea, and it's finally heating up here so perhaps it will be an easier adaptation period. Work starts when the fires start, so I've probably got another few weeks or a month to continue adapting.

To answer the questions: No, no ice-box cache allowed. No choice of clothing. Yes to PPE (gloves, helmet, eyepro). @bigbill cotton is already out from a personal preference and synthetics are a no-go, so it's all wool. I already wear a neck bandana at all times so that helps with the wicking/evaporation. I rarely get dehydrated as I am a pretty aggressive drinker. My neighbor upriver a bit has a sauna, so I'll poke him to end some rides or runs there, or just walk over after an afternoon of hoeing, digging, or splitting wood around the homestead. @echappist and @KonaSS, most of my riding and running is Z2 anyways and I do a 3.5-4mi dog walk on the lake every day in the afternoon which is definitely Z1 - I already ruck when I do the latter, a backpack with a couple of 25# plates in it, but keeping on my hoodie may be the ticket to heat. Honestly, I'm pretty well heat adapted already just from working outdoors quite a bit; my query was mostly what people do as a specific protocol/effort to increase heat adaptation - and y'all delivered as usual.

Aside from layers and the sauna, is there any trick to preparing the body for prolonged heat exposure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forest Service fire fighter?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that OSHA has strict guidelines for firefighting undergarments and coverings. We used to wear cotton long underwear under the heat resistant cotton clothing especially in the Summer, because it wouldn’t catch fire or melt and when you sweat, it stayed damp. Wool in the Fall through Spring. They distributed salt pills and salt gels and lots of water to us, but that was before sports drinks. I’d have to believe that your employer and colleagues have some field tips. Be careful out there.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Forest Service fire fighter?
    Yes sir. FFT2 hand crew working the west coast (OR, CA, WA, and ID).
    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I know that OSHA has strict guidelines for firefighting undergarments and coverings. We used to wear cotton long underwear under the heat resistant cotton clothing especially in the Summer, because it wouldn’t catch fire or melt and when you sweat, it stayed damp. Wool in the Fall through Spring. They distributed salt pills and salt gels and lots of water to us, but that was before sports drinks. I’d have to believe that your employer and colleagues have some field tips. Be careful out there.
    Last season I drank about 100 gallons of Gatorade and infinitely more water than I'd known was possible. It took two full runs (14 day deployments) to feel like I was heat-adapted. I was hoping to get a headstart this year. My colleagues are largely of the "tough it out and you'll get there" opinion, which is the bike-world equivalent of "racing into shape" by doing a bunch of miserable early crits to get into shape for the end of the season. I've always preferred adequate preparation over fake-it-till-you-make-it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Yes sir. FFT2 hand crew working the west coast (OR, CA, WA, and ID)....
    Every year in AZ I would have a couple students who worked as fire fighters. Some in Arizona but also surrounding states. They used the money to help pay for school. Seemed like their training was hiking up local mountains with weighted packs, drinking a lot of beer, and then hiking back down with somewhat lighter weighted packs. They were all 18-20 years old though, so YMMV.

They were admirably serious about the job though. Definitely was building some character.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Yes sir. FFT2 hand crew working the west coast (OR, CA, WA, and ID).
    Are you going to be working out of McKenzie Bridge? My boy David is on a hand crew based out of there, but they are currently on loan to BLM and the Ute tribe outside Durango.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Every year in AZ I would have a couple students who worked as fire fighters. Some in Arizona but also surrounding states. They used the money to help pay for school. Seemed like their training was hiking up local mountains with weighted packs, drinking a lot of beer, and then hiking back down with somewhat lighter weighted packs. They were all 18-20 years old though, so YMMV.
    I'm 34 but my technique is not that different. I'm in Oregon so I probably drink better beer, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Are you going to be working out of McKenzie Bridge? My boy David is on a hand crew based out of there, but they are currently on loan to BLM and the Ute tribe outside Durango.
    I live relatively close to there, about 30 miles south on the edge of the Umpqua National Forest. Our crew dispatches from Eugene, OR. Godspeed to your boy. Durango is nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No guidance on what to wear but in '68 Dad would run out-and-backs along the air strip in Redmond, with a full pack, in his smoke jumper boots. I hope you find better techniques. Take care of yourself out there.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a conversation between to coworkers from back when I worked in New Mexico.
    Coworker 1: Are you going to get red carded this year?
    Coworker 2: No I'm going to work all the overtime when you guys get deployed to a fire and sleep in an air conditioned bed.
    I learned a lot that day, I really like beds and AC.

I don't understand the OSHA rules on undergarments. If they melt you're already fucked. I have gotten "sunburn" through my SCBA mask in black smoke. It was fucking hot. My synthetic drawers were fine.

I don't have any hot weather training advice and I'm not sure you know this but making sure your gear is broken in a comfortable will probably make you happier than being used to the heat.

Good luck Octave, wildland is a much different beast than structure and I respect the long days you guys work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the planet decided to deliver and we'll be seeing close to or above 90F this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Here's a conversation between to coworkers from back when I worked in New Mexico.
    Coworker 1: Are you going to get red carded this year?
    Coworker 2: No I'm going to work all the overtime when you guys get deployed to a fire and sleep in an air conditioned bed.
    I learned a lot that day, I really like beds and AC.

I don't understand the OSHA rules on undergarments. If they melt you're already fucked. I have gotten "sunburn" through my SCBA mask in black smoke. It was fucking hot. My synthetic drawers were fine.

I don't have any hot weather training advice and I'm not sure you know this but making sure your gear is broken in a comfortable will probably make you happier than being used to the heat.

Good luck Octave, wildland is a much different beast than structure and I respect the long days you guys work.
    Ha! I've never owned air conditioning, even when I lived in Marseille for 5 years. Adaptation is the game to play. As for beds, I do prefer those.

My understanding re: the OSHA rules on garments melting is the ability to deal with and clean burns properly. It's not about a risk that the garment is going to spontaneously melt on the fireline, but that the wound will have a bunch of melted synthetic material in it when it comes time to clean and treat it, which is a mess I'd be loathe to deal with as an EMT..

I'm wearing last year's boots (Danner Super Rainforest), which are well broken in by now. The rest of my gear is either new (t-shirts/underpants) or already broken in (tent, gloves..etc).

Thanks for the well wishes. The hours are rough, but the work is needed, now more than ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to derail, however at one time you were working in a lab, there were some interesting in-depth comments on CBD. Tired of lab life? Seems like your place in OR is quite envious. Just curious, if you care to share, about your life changes. Or, excuse me for intruding, not anything other than curiosity.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Not to derail, however at one time you were working in a lab, there were some interesting in-depth comments on CBD. Tired of lab life? Seems like your place in OR is quite envious. Just curious, if you care to share, about your life changes. Or, excuse me for intruding, not anything other than curiosity.
    I don't have a lot of outlets to spill these days, and my wife is tired of hearing me blather on, so I'll play -

I finished my PhD in neuroscience in 2014, working on the neuroscientific basis of cocaine addiction in a lab outside of North Chicago. From there, I moved to Marseille, FR, to work in a lab studying cannabinoid exposure during development (pregnancy and postnatal THC and CBD). I lived there for 5 years doing that work. In my 4th year there we had a wildfire tear through the national park, at the edge of which my lab was located. I watched the places I rode every day burn to ashes and black and the smell never left my desk, even a year later. I knew from that moment that my "Plan B" was to fight forest fires.

I spent my entire childhood, adolescence, and every spare moment I had during college, graduate school, and the rest of my adult life escaping to the forest. I canoed the length of Manitoba alone at 16, hiked 28 days across Denali at 17, bikepacked the Colorado Trail before starting graduate school, and have spent nearly every morning and weekend exploring the forest for the entirety of my adulthood. This whole time I've expected someone else to protect the places I loved so much, the lungs of our planet, the rich and diverse stream from which all of the biodiversity we need so much arises. It wasn't until I watched it burn before my eyes, and fell to my knees helpless, that I realized that it even needed to be protected in this way. Sure, I'd protested old growth loggers in college in Southern California, heck I even spent a summer during college living in a forest to ostensibly stop bulldozers. But watching it all burn in a matter of days while local resources were tied up elsewhere made me realize that it was boots in the black that kept the world intact.

After living in France for 5 years I grew tired and skeptical of the lab life. Everything I was doing was so protracted - I was studying mechanistic neuroscientific underpinnings of developmental disorders in the hope that someone, someday, might use that "basic research" as a prompt to develop a therapy to help someone. It was "doing good" but N degrees removed from the "good." The moment that this really hit me was seeing a drug I had worked on as an intern during college go into Phase III trials a whopping 10 years after I had assisted in the Phase I trials (MDMA for the treatment of PTSD). If it took 10 years to get from Phase I to Phase III (and we still await an actual approval for the many people who continue to suffer), what did that mean for the work I did on novel molecules that wouldn't even see a preclinical pharmaceutical trial in rodents for years? So I took a job working as a full-time scientific writer for a biopharmaceutical company developing cannabinoid-based pharmaceuticals. I took the job while living in France, essentially telecommuting to North America in the evenings when my lab work was finished; work at the lab bench as an electrophysiologist from morning until night, then log on while the Canadians were making morning coffee and work through the evening. It continued like that for 4 months while I buttoned up the loose ends at my lab job, completed ongoing projects, trained a replacement.

Comfortable with my new position, we bought a homestead in Oregon and left France. As it turns out (detailed somewhere else on this forum, I believe), we'd be leaving within days of the international border closures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. We spent our last weeks in France under lockdown (the real one, not the American suggestion-type) before arriving here in Oregon on April 1st, 2020. Since then, I have continued to work as a scientific writer in the biopharmaceutical world developing and applying for the approval of various drugs. It is one step less removed from "doing good" than working in a lab, but a few years in I can see how far removed it still is. The summer of 2020 was rough for fires here in the PNW. Our homestead was shrouded in smoke for a month. Our August crops failed as they were choked out by the lack of light. We spent two weeks without power, cranking our hand-powered radio to check for evacuation notices, canning cherries for our go-bags and painting our sheep so we could find them in the thick smoke. Once again, I was faced with the reality of the fragility of our forests.

That brings me to the summer of 2021, when I took a leave of absence from my job for a couple of months to train, obtain certifications, and deploy as a wildland firefighter. It was a calmer year, and the COVID-19 surge didn't make anything easier. In the end I spent most of that time training and was only briefly deployed. But I was hooked. It was zero steps removed from "doing good." It saved forests. It saved homes. I didn't get to kiss any babies and I didn't get the key to the city, but I slept well knowing what I'd done and I didn't have to look at a computer screen writing about cancer patients and COVID for a couple of months. After another year of work, spending my waking hours split between homesteading and writing/reading about drugs and disease, I decided to complete the shift. I am still doing contract work as a now-seasoned writer for pharmaceutical development, helping to prepare application packages for drugs in the US, Canada, and elsewhere. In the meantime, I have obtained additional certifications and training (bzzz bzzz goes the saw, vroom vroom goes the truck, and I don't know what sound an EMT makes other than "phew") to progress as a wildland firefighter, and broken in my boots. This year I am all in. The forests will continue to burn, and the season will only get longer, and while I can't stop the systemic destruction of our environment I can help with the today and tomorrow of the reality we all have to live with right now. Solar panels and electric cars and vegan diets don't stop the forest from burning this year, only boots in the black can do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the writeup. I'm always amazed at the guys I work with that are college educated some are even lawyers.

I could tell you the sounds that EMTs make but not in public.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's a complete cycle.
    Mine is a bit more simplified:
    A) Douchebag
    B) Douchebag bartender
    C) Bike Mech partial douche
    D) Bike Industry fuller douche
    E) Security Industry super douche
    F) Age 47 WTF went to school with RN in mind
    G) ER RN Mega douche
    Will keep this up to retirement. I will agree that seeing change before your eyes, and the feeling of doing some good for the world, is at times unbeatable. Other times it's like beating yourself in the face with a mallet.

Good on you for taking charge. And thanks.
    Tim C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast