Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Texas

A society obsessed with "rights", where "obligation" is just an afterthought, is not sustainable.

The gun lobby and those in their pocket -- and populists in general -- have far higher EQs. Look how effective they are even when they have fundamentally misinterpreted and misappropriated the Second Amendment.

The "left" don't understand that logic don't win hearts, which is to say the "enlightened ones" lack empathy.

My guess is that it will get far worse before it gets better. All very sad, really.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Agree 100% on your second point. I hesitate to say it, but what does this portend for DeSantis to do next week? He’s got to be beside himself seeing Abbott in the (MAGA) spotlight like this, and these two governors and their respective states seem to be in a race to the bottom with regards to being functional places for US citizens to live these days.

I can only hope a reckoning is coming for the gun nuts, but my hopes are not high.
    DeSantis has signaled to the state legislature that he'd sign a constitutional carry law if they passed it. I don't see him backing down on that in light of recent events.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting my kids on school buses should not feel risky or irresponsible.
    Solitudinally challenged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arm the kids!
    You know, self defense and all that.

Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    Arm the kids!
    You know, self defense and all that.

Adding context to this photo…this was a Twitter post, a few days before the shooting, by the company that manufactured the gun used in Uvalde. You’ll be shocked to know that it was accompanied by a bible quote (which I am sure as hell in its original meaning did not refer to murderous weapons…)
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Here is the post
    Have they always been private, or just recently?

--edit--

Scratch that, Google answered.

On Wednesday, one of the company's social media posts resurfaced from a week ago on May 16, the day Ramos turned 18. That week, he legally purchased two AR-15-style assault rifles, including the Daniel Defense DDM V7 rifle, according to the Washington Post.
    Both posts have since been deleted after the gun company faced an onslaught of backlash from social media users. Daniel Defense has limited comments on its Instagram posts and also went private on Twitter in the aftermath. However, screenshots of the posts are still being circulated online.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 05-27-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, I am not a follower. But nothing is ever truly private on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Have they always been private, or just recently?
    They changed it to private following the killing.

... not a follower, that is what I read in the news.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Financing available for your Daniel Defense DDM V7 assault rifle for only $99/month…in stock and available in a rattlecan finish for and additional $150. It’s too easy.

https://danieldefense.com/ddm4-v7pro.html
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Financing available for your Daniel Defense DDM V7 assault rifle for only $99/month…in stock and available in a rattlecan finish for and additional $150. It’s too easy.

It's Credova , another Buy now, pay later, Klarna clone.....

I'm kind of shocked these aren't sold out yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To put some facts and data behind @mjbabcock and @robin3mj pointing out if it happened to those folks and making Florida/Texas unliveable….

It is happening there, they are doing it to themselves, there are other charts that show the absolute correlation between stricter gun laws and lessening of injury and death…

But even when the numbers touch themselves they don’t care, because some almost religious belief is more important than the pain and suffering of their neighbors and relatives:

As my late friend said, the problem here is you are using logic. And we are all worse off as some folks aren’t allowing their synapses to work.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every law enforcement official in Texas said it was a mistake to pass open carry, but the legislature and Abbot passed and signed it anyway. There needs to be age limits, red flag laws and waiting periods when it comes to gun ownership. This isn't rocket science -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Spent a few minutes browsing that site, after clicking out of the "prayers" pop-up about their product being used for mass murder. It's a fairly well-done site, with good stories about engineering and domestic production. If only it were focused solely on buyers at defense-oriented government agencies.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another ball of s**t rolling downhill with the evolving story about the police action, or lack of, to the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

News today just reaffirms the Defund the Police folks have it right. Cops are cowards. Jesus Christ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The news coming out today kinda bums me out.

Also don’t really understand how the story goes from “engaged before entering building” to “not engaged, walked through unlocked door.” Kinda….not even close.

And CNN is reporting that the door was propped open by a teacher and left unattended while going to call 911 upon seeing “the crash and gunman”. My god. The timeline coming out is just….beyond words.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 05-27-2022 at 04:10 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's almost as if the police are equipped to engage only where they have an overwhelming force advantage.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had it, have long had it, with the "thoughts and prayers" crowd, and the "it's a mental health issue, not a gun issue" deniers disingenuous bullshit.

Wanna stop the slaughter? Letters to your senators won't work; not on the GOP side. So, defeat every damn GOP candidate who's running, get dems and progressives elected, especially folks like Bernie, AOC and Stacey Abrams and then make enough noise to get semi-auto rifles and handguns banned. Make the penalties for violation harsh enough to work, and understand that getting semi-autos out of our population will take decades; consider it lifetime of effort, thanks to a senate that allowed the assault weapon ban to quietly expire.

Promiscuous attitudes towards firearms are so inculcated in our culture that well meaning folks, folks who know that we have an enormous problem that can't be solved any other way can’t quite bring themselves to say “semi-autos have no place in civil society”. Our culture is like a drug addicted person who knows what has to happen but can't quite make it happen. Pathetic.

As a related aside under the heading of "know your opposition", this recent missive from Heather Cox Richardson is well worth reading; it won’t be news to some of you; it shouldn’t be to anybody: https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...ay-25-2022?s=r

This is worthwhile for the same reasons: https://www.npr.org/2017/06/18/53192...psed6lZsLlAZj8
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Trump used the Uvalde massacre as a call to arm citizens.

In fairness he called the January insurrectionists and Neo Nazis marching in Charleston law abiding citizens Former US President Donald Trump called on Friday, May 27, in Houston, to "arm the citizens" to fight the "evil in our society" , at the origin, according to him, of the appalling massacre in a elementary school in Texas.

"The existence of evil in our society is no reason to disarm law-abiding citizens ," he told America's premier arms lobby, the National Rifle Association (NRA), which opened Friday in Texas its annual convention a few hundred kilometers from Uvalde, the city where the shooting took place. "The existence of evil is the reason for arming law-abiding citizens ," he said.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/internatio...5984873_4.html

-Mike G